Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who can recommend to me a good set of binoculars that won't set me back $750? These are for recreation only, I don't need tactical night vision ones, or range finding, or automatic focus or anything crazy, just a good set of optics we can use at racetracks and other goofy places.

I know nothing about binoculars; however, I figured one of you may know a thing or two about optics, so I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Check on Sportsmans Guide or Cheaper than Dirt. An adequate set of 8ish by 50's shouldn't run you a tenth of the overpriced german or japanese. Bushnell is a decent brand.

Too much magnification (the first number) is not so good. 7 or 8 power is a good compromise. Bigger objective lens (the second number) is better. 40mm to 60mm is good all around. The standard US Navy lookout binoc is 8x50. Not too big in size, good magnification, good for low light but not to much for full daylight.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
CVS has 7X50 (IIRC) Vivitars with anti reflective coating on sale for $9.99 , can't say anything about quality but can't beat the price.

:)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
i trust the vivitar name i've used there camera lenses for 30 yrs.
still use them when i'm not shooting with my digital camera.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts