I need mouse gun advice

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ahlongslide, Oct 1, 2007.

1. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

My wife has finally agreed to carry everyday. But her Glock 26 was too big.

I need help finding her a very small (mainly thickness wise), reliable, "pretty" mouse gun. I prefer 9mm for her, but .380 or .38 special would also do.

I'm currently looking at a Kahr PM9, but that still might be too big.

Kel-Tec has caught my eye, but their reviews are 50% good and 50% bad... I would like something more reliable than that... (plus they're not "pretty")

She likes autos over revolvers, and does not like hammers.

Any ideas?

2. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Kel-Tec P3AT. Mine was totally reliable, I just decided that I wouldn't compromise on caliber, so I made the decision to go with 9mm as the bottom line. It carried very well in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Goes anywhere and you have to remind yourself that it is there.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I think you've already got your answer: Kahr PM9. It seems just about perfect for what you want. I would suggest letting her shoot one before she decides on something smaller. The recoil on the PM9 is already pretty stiff.

4. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

:D An unlikely vote from a plastic hater.

Is the PM9 noticeably slimmer than the G26? She carries in a bellyband, and the G26 was more than obvious and weighed too much to stay against her skin when she ran.

She would open carry, but I still haven't found a good rig for wearing outside tight exercise clothes.

5. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i carry my p232 every day, it's small and slim enough to hide very well, has smooth edges for comfort no matter how you carry it. it does have that sig weight because it ain't tupperware but it's the most comfortable handgun i've ever shot. it did take a couple hundred rounds of fmj thru it before it would be reliable with hp ammo but now it eats anything just fine. i know it's only a .380 but a .380 is more effective than the "real" gun you left in the car because it's was too inconvenient to tote.

besides it's accurate enough that 7/1 will make one big hole in the bg :)

sorry for the bad quality photo but the wife has the digital and i'm left with a webcam.
    [​IMG]

6. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I haven't held the two up close to compare, but since the PM9 is single-stack, t's a good bit thinner. The slide width is .9" according to the site, but that doesn't cover the slide stop. The G26 is 1.18". The PM9 is also smaller in the other dimensions. I like the PM9, but it's too pricey for me.

7. RepeatDefender

IDK about the PM9, but the P9 is less than an inch in girth. At .90 inches wide, it is VERY slim.

I would think the PM is the same or at least very similar.

8. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

I looked at the Walther PPK/S and the Sig P232 and both are "bigger" in every aspect then the PM9... and that is why I'm still looking at the PM9.

I was hoping there was an even better gun out there for her.

The Kahr is pricey... any idea what Adventure Outdoors has them going for? Their website says "$615.99", but everyone knows they are cheaper at the store :roll: Ordnance Outsellers has them for $514. Anyone know of a cheaper one west of atlanta?

9. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

Kel-Tec would be a last resort (if I can't afford the Kahr)... I don't want to trust her life to one (you can tell we've only been married 3 years)

10. RepeatDefender

New Kahr CW-series selling for $409 at the show yesterday. I got my Kahr P9 back from a trading buddy for $400 OTD.

I have seen the PM-series sell for $625 at the local shyster...I mean gun dealers. :roll:

11. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

I might've handled your P9... is your trading buddy "ParoleBear"?

I only saw one PM9 at the show and it was $500 used. :(

12. RepeatDefender

Yep, ParoleBear sold me the P9. I used to own it, went crazy for mil-surps back in April. I traded it to him. It sat in his safe since then. Now it is back home where it belongs :D

The Agrip that was on the P9 you handled was proudly and professionally installed by none other than my beautiful wife! :D

I would love to have a PM-series Kahr, but I can't see spending the extra money when now, especially with the P9.

13. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

He's a really good guy... he tried to talk me into your P9 for my wife... but I walked away with his Sig P226 for me :D

I asked him if the grip was "Agrip" and he didn't know.

14. RepeatDefender

I agree, he is a great guy. I am glad there are LEO's like him in GA. I didn't know if I'd have the cash up in time to buy it from him, so when I got there on Sunday and it was still on the table I was very happy.

Did you notice the stainless steel guide rod on the P9? That was made by Steve Bedair, who also makes really nice SS guide rods for SIG's and other guns. I think I will be adding one each to my 229 adn 239.

BTW, did he give you a fair price for the 226? I'm sure he did, just curious. :)

15. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

I did not... I had my mindset on the P226 while handling the P9. It was tempting though...

Very fair. It was a LNIB custom two-tone with 6 mags and Sig NS. It only cost me $250 plus my wife's G26... :D

16. RepeatDefender

I would have done that deal as well. Can't go wrong with a SIG P226 and a heap o' mags!

Every time I have traded with ParoleBear I got the feeling that we both got what we wanted. I have never felt cheated dealing with him. He is more of a trader than anything else anyway. I love guntrading, but it can become addictive.

17. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

He will tell you himself that he trades guns to relieve stress, and he is not joking. He IS addicted, and I am very very close to that ledge myself.

18. RepeatDefender

Maybe this is why I do it too, sub-consciously...

It is the first thing I do every day and the last thing I do before I go to bed at night. I check all the boards I participate in and see if there are any hits on what I am trading or if there is anything new posted to interest me. :lol:

19. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

buy her a 5.11 body mapping holster shirt its what i wear under my tshirt for running.

20. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

I'll look into that!
    Thanks! :D

I wear a Smart Carry when I run, but she refuses to do the same... she doesn't want it to look like she has any type of "gun" in that area :lol: