Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I just moved to the Jackson Mississippi area last week. I wasn't looking for a job there, but an opportunity came up and I took it. The regional office is in Atlanta, and there's a lot of travel with the job, so I'll still be back in Georgia often.

It's been 25 years since I so much as drove through Mississippi on a visit. I'm having to get oriented and learn my way around. The neighbors seem extremely friendly and helpful.

I need to find a group similar to Georgia Carry. I applied for my gun carry permit this week, as soon as I got my new drivers license. I learned there have been lots of changes in state law very recently. Mississippi now has unlicensed carry, A standard gun permit, and an enhanced permit that requires training. That's three levels of carrying with different requirements for each.

A point in the right direction would be helpful. If you know someone who knows someone, please let me know. You can answer below, or in a private message. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I know tons of folks in Mississippi, I'll be there next week. Flying into Jackson, driving to Vicksburg. Love Jackson, great food nice people. Checkout the parlor market for fine dining downtown.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/parlor-market-jackson?utm_source=ishare

Pig and pint is great too
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-pig-and-pint-jackson?utm_source=ishare

If your adventurous and want a real southern treat, go to the big apple inn and get you some pig ear sliders. The place is a dive, but great sliders.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-apple-inn-jackson?utm_source=ishare

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
I'm sorry, I hated my short time in Meridian, MS, I hope to never go back. I'm sure Jackson is probably a lot nicer, though. Best of luck, brother!

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
OK, I just moved to the Jackson Mississippi area last week. I wasn't looking for a job there, but an opportunity came up and I took it. The regional office is in Atlanta, and there's a lot of travel with the job, so I'll still be back in Georgia often.

It's been 25 years since I so much as drove through Mississippi on a visit. I'm having to get oriented and learn my way around. The neighbors seem extremely friendly and helpful.

I need to find a group similar to Georgia Carry. I applied for my gun carry permit this week, as soon as I got my new drivers license. I learned there have been lots of changes in state law very recently. Mississippi now has unlicensed carry, A standard gun permit, and an enhanced permit that requires training. That's three levels of carrying with different requirements for each.

A point in the right direction would be helpful. If you know someone who knows someone, please let me know. You can answer below, or in a private message. Thanks in advance.
There is an organization similar, let me see if I can find it really quickly.

https://www.mississippicarry.org/

Forum: http://msgo.com/

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
I spent a lot of work time in and around Jackson, Laurel, Meridian, Greenville, Natchez, and Vicksburg. Mostly good memories, but that was long ago.

Be sure to take a drive on the country roads North and NE of Vicksburg - looks like a visit to a different country.
The Natchez Parkway was great before the hurricane took out most of the 200 year old trees.

Jackson, downtown, has changed a lot in 40 years. Not for nighttime visits at all even with a body guard.

Stay away from Thomasville, MS (east of Jackson) - dangerous H2S gas wells.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Get the enhanced license. It basically removes all places off limits. For instance, Mississippi has enforceable gun signs if they meet certain requirements. Carry past such a sign, and you earn an automatic trip to jail.

Guess what code section is listed as one from which the enhanced license exempts you? Yes, you guessed it, the signage law. I would get that training and get that enhanced license.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
Get the enhanced license. It basically removes all places off limits. For instance, Mississippi has enforceable gun signs if they meet certain requirements. Carry past such a sign, and you earn an automatic trip to jail.

Guess what code section is listed as one from which the enhanced license exempts you? Yes, you guessed it, the signage law. I would get that training and get that enhanced license.
Graduates of the Rangemaster Firearms Instructor Development Course were at one time recognized as being able to conduct the training in MS for the enhanced license. I am not sure if such is still the case. I didn't send in my paperwork as I didn't foresee teaching MS residents.

There should be plenty of folks throughout MS that have graduated from the course and who are offering the training.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I have always wanted to go to Route 4 Liberty, Mississippi

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,662 Posts
I have always wanted to go to Route 4 Liberty, Mississippi
Me too. And when I got there I'd love to stand in front of the beer joint and holler, "Marrrrceeeeeel!"

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Me too. And when I got there I'd love to stand in front of the beer joint and holler, "Marrrrceeeeeel!"
That place was sold a few years back iirc.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,933 Posts
Nullifier, please ask the powers that be in MS if a Georgia citizen who takes their course can apply for the enhanced permit, or at least get an enhanced stamp of some sort on his GWCL.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts

Man, I would get that in a heart beat.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
Why? Isn't it just going down the road of licensing a right? Why support that by getting the enhanced license?
No, if its already in place, it is really no different than me getting a carry license, which I already have one, because I don't want to break the law. Just don't expect me to support the idea of a two tiered system. Its fine if you want to support it.

If I lived in MS, I would fight to make everyone be able to carry into those places with either no license or a standard license. Just like we are trying to do in Georgia right now.

Its not like we're talking about taking welfare while speaking out against having it at all. Plus, welfare actually hurts the economy for everyone. Just having a license at all hurts poor and black people from carrying weapons, but its not like the two tiered system really effects that in my mind. Having a license at all is what hurts poor and black people from carrying weapons.

You already HAVE to get a license to carry or break the law. If it were already in place, I would do it. Just don't expect me to voice support for it. In fact, I would be talking about doing away with it and giving everyone the freedom.

Why wouldn't I get the best option for myself to protect myself and my family in more places? That would go against the whole reason I carry in the first place not to get it. Its a more core belief, than my distaste for the licensing scheme in general.

Even though the whole licensing scheme is evil and I believe it racist and its in order to keep poor people who are at risk from carrying guns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts