Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if the problem was me, the rifle (PTR 91, GI model), the UTG MP5 bi-directional low profile picatinny mount, the UTG 3-9X32 BugBuster Scope, the ammunition (PPU), or some combination thereof. However, I spent way too much time and ammunition Monday afternoon trying to zero in the scope at 100 yds. I didn’t even take any photos of the targets; it was so aggravating. After I got it as close as I thought I could, I decided to try shooting at the steel silhouette at 400 yds.

This is the ammo I started with:

Here’s the freshly painted silhouette:

It is 18†wide at its widest point, and 30†long including the head. The head itself is 6.5†wide and 6†tall at the shoulders.

I was perfect when shooting with the scope: 0 for 10. In sheer frustration I took the scope off and went back to my trusty ole iron sights. Even without a spotter to call my shots for me, I managed to go 3 for 10.

Then, to up the difficulty level (and because it was the only thing I had left) I shot two boxes of Wolf Polyformance steel-cased ammunition. I went 4 for 20 each time with just the iron sights.

I had my cheapo video recorder (I call it my GoPo) set up at a safe distance and angle to record the shots at the target:

... or so I thought.

When I went to pack it up I noticed that along with my 11 hits on the silhouette for the day, I also had three hits on one of the tripod legs:

Here are the YouTube links:

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Did you try zero at a shorter distance (e.g. 25 or 50 yards) and checking the groupings and zeroing? Was the rifle previously zeroed at 100 yards with the hardware you were using? On a new setup I would zero at a shorter distance, get my zero and check my groupings - then readjust for 100 yards. As you pointed out, there are a lot of different possibilities, like the scope and mount not maintaining zero.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
In addition to consistent cheek weld and barrel heat.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
I don't know if the problem was me, the rifle (PTR 91, GI model), ...the ammunition (PPU),...
From your previous posts I would say most likely not.

...the UTG MP5 bi-directional low profile picatinny mount, the UTG 3-9X32 BugBuster Scope,...
Ding, ding, ding. Herein lies the problem. UTG is for airsoft. Go sell that Leapers sh*t on The Outdoor Trader and recoup some of your money. Then go buy some real gear like Vortex that won't break your bank and will hold up to something above .22 Short. The hits on the tripod are telling.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you try zero at a shorter distance (e.g. 25 or 50 yards) and checking the groupings and zeroing?
Yes; 50 yds (shortest target backers at that range).

On a new setup I would zero at a shorter distance, get my zero and check my groupings - then readjust for 100 yards.
That's what I did (or tried to do anyway).

As you pointed out, there are a lot of different possibilities, like the scope and mount not maintaining zero.
Ding, ding, ding. Herein lies the problem.
After a day to reflect on it, I think that was the main reason.

In addition to consistent cheek weld and barrel heat.
True also.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
After a day to reflect on it, I think that was the main reason.
If you don't have a good scope, that definitely would be a place to start. I'm not saying you need a $2000 Bushnell or Leupold, but it definitely has to handle the shock while maintaining zero. I looked for a good scope for my AR (Savage Recon) and saw a lot of reviews with a $1000 1-6x24 Bushnell Elite Tactical and I'm sure it is an awesome scope, but I picked up a $300 Sightmark with the same specs (illuminated reticle, 1-6x power, coated optics, etc.) and it works great. However, there are still other scopes with similar specs a lot cheaper, but I couldn't build any confidence factor around them being reliable enough to do the job.

I did risk a cheaper Chinese knock-off of the LaRue Tactical QD Cantilever mount and that seems to work well. I mean, it just has to stay in place and get back into position well when removed and reinstalled right? With that said, the LaRue or competing products may offer sub-MOA accuracy that I have yet to acquire sufficient skill to realize. I generally believe that you get what you pay for - I just had a hard time paying as much for a scope mount as I did for the scope....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts