Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I finally got my machine up and running using Linux EMC2 I'm in cnc router happy land. Can't wait to engrave my own AR15 upper. This is a skull/crossbones reticle image engraved on an old 1940s era blank record acetate. I used Inkscape to convert the image into paths then used a gcode plugin someone made for Inkscape. Main reason to for building the cnc router was to do circuit boards. Image isn't perfect because I went with the defaults on the Trace to Bitmap function but still this is FUN! Had to share!

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
I like it. One can add the letters CNC to just about anything and get happy-faced about it. Especially if they are the words "plasma cutter". :righton:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AeroShooter said:
I like it. One can add the letters CNC to just about anything and get happy-faced about it. Especially if they are the words "plasma cutter". :righton:
You are so right about that. Maybe one day I'll build a plasma cutter. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I do graphic engraving and laser etching for a living... different systems but similar technology. It is a lot of fun! We primarily use Corel for images.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
sirkut said:
Now that I finally got my machine up and running using Linux EMC2 I'm in cnc router happy land. Can't wait to engrave my own AR15 upper. This is a skull/crossbones reticle image engraved on an old 1940s era blank record acetate. I used Inkscape to convert the image into paths then used a gcode plugin someone made for Inkscape. Main reason to for building the cnc router was to do circuit boards. Image isn't perfect because I went with the defaults on the Trace to Bitmap function but still this is FUN! Had to share!
glad your having fun. i get to play on a 4 axis haas everyday.

·
Registered
726 Posts
270sniper said:
i get to play on a 4 axis haas everyday
No wonder you guys are so good with guns & mechanical things. Man, I'm proud of myself because I can field strip my XD-9.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
270sniper said:
sirkut said:
Would be nice to one day have something like that but I'll stick to my lowly "inexpensive" kit I built. I really need to build a smaller one for circuit boards for the desk that isn't so damn large (current one has a work area of 12"x24"4")

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
sirkut said:
270sniper said:
sirkut said:
Would be nice to one day have something like that but I'll stick to my lowly "inexpensive" kit I built. I really need to build a smaller one for circuit boards for the desk that isn't so damn large (current one has a work area of 12"x24"4")
thats not too bad. the hass has a travel of 30" in x, 20" in y, and 20" in z.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts