Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always really loved 1911s, and I finally got my first one this weekend. I went with an entry-level Rock Island GI. I figure it's a good starting point without having to break the bank.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I bought one of the Tac models in 9mm a couple of years ago. I think they call it the Rock now. So far it has functioned flawlessly. I really like it.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
as much crap as Rock Island gets...The Pinoys make really solid 1911s...congrats!

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
congrats. you should now practice your face of disgust just in case you ever have to experience the trigger of a tupperware gun again.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,135 Posts
I had some slide close issues on my 5906. It was one of the police trade ins from BudsGunShop dot com I got at a great price. It apparently needs a new recoil spring, which should resolve that issue.

In the meantime my edc has become (and likely will remain) a Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 in 45, all metal with no plastic in it. That 1911 wonder might not be the best there is, but there just ain't anything better.

Nemo

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a week into owning it, and I can really so easy it is to become obsessed with the 1911 platform.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
It's not a cult, it's a religion, ya heathen! :lol:

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,135 Posts
Its not a cult.

Its not a religion.

Newbies, but they will learn.

Its a Life!

Nemo

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I absolutely love my Ruger SR-1011 Commander and out of all my pistola's it is without a doubt my favorite to shoot.

It is not terribly large for an EDC either, however I will admit my M&P Shield makes a slightly more reasonable EDC.

I shoot better with the 1911 though. The shield is just a tad too small for my larger hands.

Air gun Trigger Mammal Wood Gun barrel

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have a few 1911's and my daily carry is an Ed Brown Kobra Carry Lightweight in one of Zoo's holsters. Have been carrying a 1911 since the early 70's and will never change.

·
American
3,289 Posts
I have a few 1911's and my daily carry is an Ed Brown Kobra Carry Lightweight in one of Zoo's holsters. Have been carrying a 1911 since the early 70's and will never change.
If you're going to carry a 1911 thats a fine choice. Not a daily shooter due to the aluminum frame but a fine carry piece.

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you're going to carry a 1911 thats a fine choice. Not a daily shooter due to the aluminum frame but a fine carry piece.
This one only has about 5k rounds thru it. Ed puts a steel feed ramp into his frames to help them live longer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I shot a 1911 in Marine Corp boot camp and never again until a few years ago. 3-4 years ago. I started thinking...A handgun shooter/collector should have at least one 1911. SO, I bought a Kimber Pro Carry HD II in .38 Super (Kill two birds with one stone, a 1911 and a cool caliber that I didn't have). It felt great in the hand and on my hip. BUT, trying 4-5 brands of ammo, it would not consistently return to battery. Sig said maybe I needed to break in it or maybe my grip is bad. The problem continued. Returned to them and they said they cleaned it. Still the same problem. So, the 1911 sits beautifully in the safe and I returned to my Sig 226,228, 229, and 239.

And I just don't like the grip safety, thumb safety, carry cocked and locked, etc. etc. My granddaughter (a top LE shooter) perfectly summed up my thoughts. "There's just too much stuff going on with that action for me". I guess I will stay with the DA/SA cult.

If Col. Cooper had came of age in the 1700's, I wonder if he would still be saying a blunderbuss was our finest weapon. LOL.

Obviously, YMMV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts