I heart my SIG Mosquito

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Sine Nomen, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Put about 500 rounds through my Mosquito (22lr) after work today. Good fun and good practice (still working out a flinch.)
    [​IMG]
    Five points of aim on this target (six if you count the one shot aimed high and left.) Gun shoots about 6" high (the lowest aim point was directly on the 5)

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried switching to a 6 o'clock position?

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Is that at "25 Yards" as the target states?

4. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

Nice, aren't they?
    My wife and I were both shooting high with her Mosquito. After shooting it from a supported position off of a bench I decided to switch the front sight blade. The gun comes with the middle height installed, there should be a low and a high version in the spare parts bag.

What kind of ammo did you shoot?
    Any FTF or FTE issues? We finally settled on Federal Automatch; it gives the best performance for the price. It's more expensive than bulk stuff from Wally World but it's a lot less than CCI (the only other ammo we've found to be reliable).

5. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

I wasn't concerned with hitting a particular target as keeping my sights on one spot and smoothly squeezing the trigger.

I was shooting from around 7 yards out.

I think another front sight is in order for me too.

I was shooting mostly Federal bulk ammo. It was fair. It would FTFeed or FTEject about once or twice per magazine. I had maybe five FTFire. I also shot about 30 rounds of Remington Viper Hyper-Velocity stuff. I had about three rounds that got slammed forward by the ejector, wouldn't fire and were a PITA to extract by thumbnail. It was the same issue that I had with the two rounds of CCI I tried to shoot at Bullseye.

All in all, it's been an adequately reliable pistol for what I want it to do. I would like to try the other spring that came with it or find something that feeds a little better, but I refuse to pay much more for ammo as that would kinda go against why I'm shooting 22 to start with.

6. Rolan_Kraps

Rolan_Kraps New Member

Wow, most people "club" them or just give up and "spade" them. I'm glad it working out for you.

7. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

I used to hate my Mosquito, but it decided it LOVES the Remington Golden Bullet ammo.

Cheap as hell, and it rarely FTFs and FTEs, unlike CCI and other various ammo manufacturers.

If I run a lot of rounds through it (500+) without cleaning it, I'll start to get stuck casings. No fun. :p

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

It doesn't help when .22 cartridges have exposed lead bullets (that is true, isn't it?).

9. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

I think the Golden Bullet cartridge has some kind of plating on it. I believe the unburnt powder mucks up the chamber end.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh, I see.

11. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

You guys are actually satisfied with a pistol that malfunctions only once or twice per magazine? Geez. I feed my Ruger nothing but Federal bulk and the worst malfunction I've had is a failure to lock the bolt back on an empty mag.

12. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

It's a crappy pistol - but you learn to like it (lol). It's not like it's my self-defense pistol.

I rarely get malfunctions anymore (round count has to be high for it to start acting stupid) - I guess it just needed a little break-in.

13. phaed

phaed Active Member

it's not a crappy pistol. it's a crappy round for any pistol. rimfires are not ideal for vertically feeding magazines, period. a pump or lever action horizontal magazine rifle works great.

that said, i love shooting my walther p22 just for fun. i don't have any reliability expectations. they are fine as long as you keep it in that context.

14. Axeman

Axeman New Member

I held one and a Walther P22 both last night in the store. I am tempted to get the Sig 22 for plinking it felt more like a "typical pistol size" and my wife liked it too.

Thanks for the info guys. :D