I heard on the news this morning......

Discussion in 'In the News' started by tj2000, Jan 17, 2007.

1. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Loosening the car carry law.
    I just want to stir the puddin a little bit here, since we haven't had any good controversy lately.
    I heard on WSB radio this morning that they are taking up the bill to loosen as was quoted the car carry issue.
    Opinions:
    Mine is; I am concerned that if everyone is allowed to carry concealed in their car without a permit it could be even more dangerous for our officers. I know that if you have a clean record and cant be denied a permit or ownership of a firearm you should be able to carry a firearm in your vehicle. I think the tendancy would be that a law abiding person would forget they had their firearm on them and get caught carrying concealed without a permit. The other is the danger factor mentioned earlier for our officers and them not knowing whether you are legal at that moment; at least with a permit you have some way to put them at ease while they call you in.
    Just a thought.
    TJ[/b]

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Everyone is allowed to carry in their car without a Georgia Firearms License even now. The bill in the General Assembly does not change that.

Here is the bill to which you refer.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=1661

The only difference is that now, without a Georgia Firearms License, one need not have it in the glovebox, center console, or duct-taped to the forehead. What this means is that your innocent wife, who perhaps does not have a license, will not go to jail for driving your car without thinking about the gun you left under the seat.

It is still unlawful for someone who is ineligible for a Georgia Firearms License to conceal a firearm in the car.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Now that you know a little more about it, please share your thoughts. :wink:

4. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

My focus to this point.

Malum,
    I guess my focus to this point is on the concealed on the person while in the motor vehicle. Sorry if I misunderstand this part. I understand about the family member part. A freind of my wife and I has a daughter serving a 10 year mandatory sentence in prison because her stupid drug dealing boy freind used her car and left his pistol under the seat. Now granted he did leave some of his drugs under the seat with it and that is what her biggest offence was. She wouldnt have a weapons charge if the gun wasn't in the car, that's a whole other story.
    Thanks for the clarification on this matter.
    TJ

5. Malum Prohibitum

You misunderstood it only because the news lied to you, tj2000. No need to apologize to me. I like clarifying this stuff. :D Now, if only reporters were so interested in the truth. They ought to apologize to you.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

And there would be no reason for her detention at all if we did not have draconian drug laws.

But, we must think of the children... :wink:

7. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

I like this bill. I have always viewed my vehicle as an extension of my property, and found it inane to think that it should be alright to carry open or in a compartment, but not under or between the seats or on your person.

8. Malum Prohibitum

I like any bill that repeals yet one more inane criminal law restricting the possession of firearms by peaceable citizens.