I had a misdemeanor

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by cas30093b89, Jan 27, 2011.

1. cas30093b89

cas30093b89 New Member

Please note I am not a drug user, unfortunately I made a bad choice that night hanging out with some old friends from high school and paid the price...2 years ago I was charged with poss of marijuana less than on Oz I plead gulity in court. I haven't had any ticket every since, I recently came back from a 1 year deployment to Afghanistan and I happened to turn 21 while I was over there I am now trying to get a weapon permit in Gwinnett county but will that misdemeanor prevent me from getting one??

I have read the laws on weapon permit im just trying to make sure.

2. krmbigmac

krmbigmac Active Member

Are you still "active" duty? If so, I do not think you even need a GWL. Of course, IANAL...and I think you have to wait 5 years after your troubles are completely over to get your GWL.
    Click on the laws tab above and read it for yourself.

3. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I'm thinking you'll have to wait three more years. Thank GeorgiaCarry.org or it would have been a lifelong prohibition. You may now apply after five years.

Welcome aboard! And, thanks for your service. BTW, if you're still active duty, you can carry within the state on your ID card alone. Review the provisions of OCGA 16-11-130. You may be allowed to carry in all of the same places as a LEO, without a GWL.

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I so wish I had faster fingers!

5. krmbigmac

krmbigmac Active Member

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You have to wait 5 years after any sentence, probation, parole, etc. is over. Then you can get a GWL.

However, as long as you are in the military you can carry without a GWL, with your military ID, while in GA.

Also, some other states may issue you a non-resident carry license, you'll have to research that. If you can get one, you'll be able to carry in some states when you leave Georgia.

7. mako556

mako556 New Member

ok i have never hear you have to wait 5 years aftre probation. you id say misdemeanor right? becaus i had a misdemeanor unerage drinking 2 years ago and i was told there was no problem (havent turned 21 yet, but i was tol that by a judge) might be different with weed though. i thought only violent misemeanors and felonys kept you from getting a license? did this change???

8. SYN ACK

SYN ACK New Member

I tried to clean this up a bit so the question is clearer. I am not well versed in the law enough to answer your question but I did want to be able to understand it. No I am not a grammar nazi, and I am sure you will be able to find mistakes in my posts but at least they're mostly legible.

Trying really hard not to be a jerk here but please try to fix the writing! :shock:

*Edited for clarity.*

9. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

A domestic violence misdemeanor can affect your right to own a firearm.
    A drug misdemeanor can affect your right to carry in Georgia for up to 5 years.

A drug misdemeanor was a lifetime disqualification prior to June 2010.

Don't take my word for it though, the laws can be found here:
    https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=129

10. mako556

mako556 New Member

o i know your not trying to be a jerk haha, i have an excuse, if you coul see how many keys are missing on my keyboard you would understand. i will eventually order a new one but unti the i have to punch the missing key buttons to get them to work...this is making me go crazy haha

and to thy law, thanks that clears it up

11. SYN ACK

SYN ACK New Member

Stop shooting your keyboard when your internet is slow or you get the blue screen of death. :shattered: :screwy:

12. mako556

mako556 New Member

thats actually a pretty accurate statement