I got to be a good witness today/ Hit & Run

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by awanatech, Dec 6, 2017.

1. awanatech

awanatech Member

While on my way to lunch today, I had a chance to be a Good Witness and help the police apprehend a Hit & Run Driver.

I had left work and was driving to lunch. I was about the 3rd car waiting at a red light. I look over toward my left in time to see an older Ford Taurus smash into the back of another car, which then pushed him into a girl in front of him. They were on the cross street that I was waiting to turn onto. Due to traffic congestion, they had nearly stopped at the intersection, even though they had the green light. As soon as the driver hit, he made an immediate right turn onto the road that I'm sitting on. My first thought was that he was trying to swerve to avoid the collision and was about to pull over onto the shoulder. But I realized that as soon as he made that turn, he floored it to get away. Glancing back to see the cars that were hit, they were banged up pretty badly, but I didn't think they were to the point of injuries, especially anything serious. So I made the decision to u-turn out of the traffic line & follow him rather than going to the drivers that were hit. This is a fairly busy 2-lane road that my work is on.

The speed limit on this road is 35mph, but with lunchtime traffic, I was a couple of cars back and we might have reached 30. As soon as I u-turned, I'm calling 911 to report the accident scene & the car that I'm following. After about a mile, he turns into a parking lot & gets out to inspect his car. Ironically, this was a body shop. They have 2 driveways, so I go to the next driveway and turn in. I'm hanging back at the other end of the lot just watching him at this point. I think he realized that I was watching because once he looked over toward me, he jumped back in & took off. At that point, there was a gap in traffic so I was able to be directly behind him. Now I was close enough that I could tell 911 his tag number. We are still between 30-35mph on his high speed getaway.

He reaches the end of that road & takes a hard right turn like he's heading for I-75, but instead whips it into a gas station parking lot. He's headed for the back of their lot, which is adjacent to my work, so I know there's no outlet that way. But as we turn in, the city PD recognize the car & my truck from what Dispatch has relayed to him. So I drop back to let the officer get directly behind the driver. I go around the front of the gas station, but don't see them. Then I saw where they jumped the curb into the adjacent motel lot & onto I-75 NB.

At that point, I end the call with 911 and I'm thinking that I'll go grab the lunch that I wanted. Dispatch calls me back & asks if I can go wait for the officer as the QT where the original accident happened. So I head there to wait. I can see the officers just up the road where they stopped him. The driver had basically gone around the block and was almost right back where we started. Total distance from accident to apprehension was less than 5 miles and he ended up less than .25 mile from where he started.

When the officer came, I gave him a statement & we talked a while. He said that once the driver got off the interstate & hit traffic, he started to jump & run, but by then the officer was there & finished dragging him out at gun point. There were 2 more officers that met them there. The guy even said that he was pretty sure he was getting away until he realized that I was following him. He said that then he knew he was caught. As we were talking, the officer was shocked too that he came back clean. No warrants, valid license & insurance. All that he could figure is that the guy may have thrown some dope out at some point because the car reeked of pot.

The officer said that when he heard the call go out, he's listening to the play by play of where we are headed & that we drove straight to him. He was sitting in that gas station parking lot filling out a report from a fender bender that he just finished up. The victims, as well as the officer, were grateful that I stayed with him and called it in. Fortunately for the victims, he had insurance & there were no injuries. Their cars were smashed pretty badly, but everyone was ok. The poor girl in the first car was a relatively new driver, so she was shaken up quite a bit.

I was carrying my XDs, but it never came into play, nor did it enter the conversation with the officer. I never had any thought to initiate contact with him, but when he stopped to inspect his car, I kept my distance. I figured if I tried to block him in, he'd have no problem ramming my truck. All in all, it turned out pretty well, except that I never did make it to lunch.

zetor, RedDawnTheMusical and Phil1979 like this.
  2. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Good job! Glad you are safe.

Several years ago a guy hit me. I pulled over, but he kept going for about 200 yards. Then, I saw him do a U turn and come back and wait for cops to arrive. To this day I believe his passenger convinced him that it was not a good idea to leave the scene of an accident!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    awanatech likes this.

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Great work!

awanatech likes this.
  4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Nice!

More citizens should get involved like this.

awanatech likes this.
  5. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Your good deed for the day.

awanatech likes this.
  6. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

If you wanted to be a cop, should have been a cop.

7. awanatech

awanatech Member

This was nothing to do with wanting to be a cop. I've also stopped in the past to help when I've come upon an accident where no emergency responders have arrived yet. In a couple of cases, I've been able to help in first aid situations. Those whom I were able to help were grateful for my assistance. Should I not stop to render aid since I did not choose to be a paramedic as a profession?

Phil1979, janedoedad, TimBob and 2 others like this.
  8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Helping to prevent jerkoffs from not accepting responsibility for doing shit that costs others time and money - or worse - isn't playing cop.

Phil1979, janedoedad, TimBob and 3 others like this.
  9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Good job, awanatech! You did a very good deed for the other drivers and the public at large.

Phil1979, TimBob, zetor and 1 other person like this.
  10. Glockenator

Glockenator Village idiot

awanatech, you did the right thing, handled it well, and acted smartly. You give us a good name.

I bet the crash victims are very grateful that you did what you did. Now, it will be his insurance that covers their damage (if he has it), instead of the victim's uninsured motorist coverage, which might drive up their own premiums in the future.

Phil1979, janedoedad, TimBob and 2 others like this.
  11. awanatech

awanatech Member

I was surprised, but the officer said his insurance was valid. So at least that should cover the victims in the repair of their vehicles. I ended up talking with the other drivers before I went back to work. They were thrilled to hear that he'd been caught so quickly, as well as the fact that he has insurance.

TimBob likes this.
  12. gsusnake

I generally don’t, and I did so choose.

13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Bit of an adrenaline rush wasn't it? That always add some thrill after its all over.

Nemo

awanatech likes this.
  14. awanatech

awanatech Member

I knew that you did, and that is certainly your decision whether to stop and help as you are able. I find that I usually will help in a situation as much as I can. Others will choose differently. And that's ok. I choose to be an auto technician as a profession, and I do actually offer to help others when I can in that area also. Usually it is things like a jump start or helping to change a tire. My point being that my actions, or inaction in some cases, are not driven by a desire to pretend to have a different vocation than I chose. Sometimes there's right and wrong and you choose one or the other, whatever your career choice.

You have posted a lot on GPDO and I have learned a lot from your posts. I appreciate your input in many various topics. But I have to wonder, why post here when you did not choose Firearm Instructor, or Constitutional Scholar, or Professional Forum Poster, or any number of vocations that would give you the credentials to post in these areas?

15. awanatech

awanatech Member

It was. A lot of "what-ifs" running through my mind at the time. It took a little time for that fade and get back to work.

16. WGTactical

WGTactical Member

Great job awanatech, shame there's not more like you in the world.

Phil1979 and awanatech like this.
  17. awanatech

awanatech Member

Thank you. I glad that it worked out the way it did.

I believe to some extent that we are here to help others. But I often ask myself "If we are to help others, what are the others here for?"

WGTactical likes this.
  18. WGTactical

WGTactical Member

Good question...

awanatech likes this.
  19. gsusnake

I’m just not sure I understand going out of your way to put yourself in harm’s way. Witnessing, calling, etc. are all great but pursuing?

What if he had slammed HARD on his brakes, causing you to wreck into him? What if he had stopped, drawn a weapon, and emptied a magazine into you and your vehicle?

I’m not willing to put myself or my family at those risks. If you are, great. I generally like to let the police do the policing and I guess my first post came across as a little asshole-ish, even though that’s not what I intended.

20. awanatech

awanatech Member

Ok, see, now that's very different than what seemed to be a personal attack about me wanting to play cops and bad guys, which is far from the truth.

I can understand that we all have different reasons for whether we act, or not, in a particular situation. We each come with a different perspective and skill sets. We have different levels of conviction (moral/ spiritual, not legal) that affect how and why we do what we do, or not. I don't judge the others who won't take the same actions that I do, and I don't expect others to judge me for my actions, or lack of.

I have no doubt that what I did was the right thing for me to do, at that time, in those circumstances. I don't expect you to understand, and that's ok. But you also don't understand my motivation for it either. And that's ok, too.

Every thing that we do involves varying degrees of risk. No matter how mundane the task. We each, individually, decide how much risk we are willing to tolerate to achieve a certain result. You have your level, and I have mine. They are obviously very different, which is ok. But just because we have different levels of risk tolerance, you can't know my motivation for acting.

Thanks for clarifying your point. That makes more sense than throwing out personal attacks on someone that you cannot know anything about.

And yes, I did take it as an a$$holish comment.