Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New WASR-2 5.45x39 with sling and two mags, one steel and one polymer. :D

This is the only pic I have and it comes from the previous owner. He needed a CCW piece and I wanted an AK, so we made the deal happen!

So is there anything an AK noob needs to know? Look out for? I have experience with Simonovs, little to none with Kalashnikovs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks good to me! I have a SAR-1 Romainan model, but I have hardly fired it. Maybe 40 rounds through it, if that. I like the sling on yours.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
congrats. they'll be banned again before too long. that's why i bought one a couple of weeks ago.

So is there anything an AK noob needs to know? Look out for? I have experience with Simonovs, little to none with Kalashnikovs
they are cheap and reliable. it'll run and keep running where many won't. you'll probably notice how thin the receiver cover is. make sure it's in there good before ya fire it, or it can pop out. it's a medium to short range rifle in my opinion. you may have accuracy problems out past 200m. the stock iron sights aren't that great. this weapon is a good candidate for a holo or red dot if you can get a good pic rail. there are plenty of accessories out there. some are good, some are crap. my friend has a WASR and put a pic rail receiver cap on it...the pic rail blew off the first time he fired with it. looked like it was just glued on. buyer beware!

the folks at ar15.com also have a part of their site dedicated to AK's. check it out. there's more info there than one can consume.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Malum Prohibitum said:
What made you decide to go with 5.45 mm?
Not really sure...I have no explanation for it. I just wanted an AK and this one presented itself. :D

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
What's that goofy thing on the trigger? Must make it hard to fire the weapon... :wink:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MrMorden said:
What's that goofy thing on the trigger? Must make it hard to fire the weapon... :wink:
Something that the previous owner still possesses! :lol: I didn't need it in trade :lol: :wink:

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
585 Posts
Sweet! AK's are a lot of fun.

the 5.45 is still pretty cheap so stock up now. Get a brick or two, and a bunch more mags.

I dont have a 5.45 AK but recoil sounds like it's nearly nil. Just make sure the sights and gas tube are straight, give it a little tiny bit of grease on the receiver rails / ejector rails, and rack the thing a few times, and it should be able to go for several thousand rounds :)

It may feel tiny when shooting it; especially on you, so wearing a thick coat or using a recoil pad (just for LOP basically) sometimes helps rather than smoosh your face all up on the buttstock. It's all good though, remember this weapon was built for Rooskies and others who probaly are in cold weather. Hence the large safety and large trigger guard.

If you haven't put mags into it yet, get familiar with the "rock and lock" principle. Put the front divot of the mag into the magwell, then slam the aft end of the mag in (where the locking lug is). Rack and shoot.

Tons of fun man,,,

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jp233 said:
Just make sure the sights and gas tube are straight
I haven't really paid any attention to this. Is this something a gunsmith needs to look at? Thanks!

·
Registered
756 Posts
man you got lucky.

i have been trying to find a local wasr 2 or sar 2 for a while now and wound up just picking up another ak in 7.62

the 5,45 is a mean little round. and its cheap right now so load up.

now if only i could find something locally in 5,45...

you should be able to tell if the sights are canted on your own. if they are, shoot it and see if it affects the poi. sometimes the cant wont affect the poi.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
jp233 said:
If you haven't put mags into it yet, get familiar with the "rock and lock" principle. Put the front divot of the mag into the magwell, then slam the aft end of the mag in (where the locking lug is). Rack and shoot.
here's a couple of demonstrations...might have to watch it in slo-mo though!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
phaed said:
jp233 said:
here's a couple of demonstrations...might have to watch it in slo-mo though!

Wow!! That is awesome!!!! :bowdown:

·
68,100 Posts
Ok, that is fast, but I do not understand the purpose of the Ruskie tipping the rifle counter-clockwise before he starts . . . what is he doing?

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Ok, that is fast, but I do not understand the purpose of the Ruskie tipping the rifle counter-clockwise before he starts . . . what is he doing?
i noticed that as well. it's only speculation, but i'd guess it's part of their procedure (something like American's S.P.O.R.T.S) to visually inspect the bolt/chamber to make sure it's not jammed instead of really empty. still doesn't make that much sense, as this should be a separate procedure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love the 5.45. I have a Bulgarian fixed wood stock and a sidefolder. Great shooter. I also like the fact that a 45rd mag isnt much longer than a 30rd 7.62 mag. I do most of my shooting with the 2 Bulgys right now because it is the cheapest CF ammo you can get now at less than 10ct a round. :wink:

Nice gun....have fun!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hickory Flatlander said:
I love the 5.45. I have a Bulgarian fixed wood stock and a sidefolder. Great shooter. I also like the fact that a 45rd mag isnt much longer than a 30rd 7.62 mag. I do most of my shooting with the 2 Bulgys right now because it is the cheapest CF ammo you can get now at less than 10ct a round. :wink:

Nice gun....have fun!
Thanks!

Where are you finding ammo at 10 cents a round? Cheapest I can come across is around 12-13 cents a round. Any source for cheap mags?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So now I have a wad of ammo to feed the beast. 1080rd can of Bulgy 5.45x39 (supposedly the same as Russian 7N6) from AIM Surplus for $133.95 delivered. Plus I have 5 mags for it, 3 Bulgarian poly, and 2 E German bakelite.

Fun times a comin' :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts