I felt oppressed

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by mzmtg, May 24, 2007.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I was eating lunch at a downtown establishment that serves alchol. I was in full compliance with the law, of course.

A man sat at the table next to ours wearing a glock on his belt...

...and a badge.

I truly felt like a second-class citizen.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. tony218

tony218 New Member

yea!! don't you know nuttin'

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

but mzmtg, you have to remember that he is better qualified to handle that Glock fo-tay. You would probably do something stupid like...I dunno...shoot yourself in the leg. You are not professional enough.

5. Taurus

Taurus New Member

That does suck....That burns me right up....Something needs to be changed about that vcrazy law...FL allows carry in bars and alcohol serving restaurants now don't they?...How many issues have they had since the change?

6. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

DEA agent. "this is a glock 40. I'm the only one in this room professional enough to handle this ....BANG!"

7. David14

David14 Member

Silly rabbit. Some animals are just more equal than others.

8. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I had a similar feeling at mass yesterday.

I sat down (in a different pew than usual, the church was full for Pentecost) and was next to a Bulloch COunty deupty, who was OCing his Glock in a Bianchi Carry-Lok.

Nice gun, nice holster, but damn if I wasn't upset that he could carry while off-duty but I can't there.

9. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Is he new? Sounds like he just wanted to show everybody his "LOOK AT ME. I'M A COP" sign. Why oh why would he OC his duty weapon while off duty at church? It's stuff like that why my agency requires us to carry concealed when off duty or plain clothes.

10. gsusnake

It wasn't his G21, it was a 30. I asked him about it and he said he'd rather carry the sub-compact off duty.

That Carry-Lok was an attractive looking holster...

11. Purge

Purge New Member

It’s a shame when the servant has more rights than the master.

12. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Even at that, why is he OCing like that off duty, especially in church? He'll learn at some point that is better not to be known to be a cop when off duty. As a general rule and with very few exceptions, I don't even wear my uniform back and forth to work.

Do you know how long he has been on the job?

13. gsusnake

It wasn't full-open... it was covered by his jacket but I noticed it when he stood up.

No clue how long he's been working for them.

Nice guy, though.

14. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Okay, there was at least an attempt to conceal it then. That makes more sense.

15. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Cops should be required to get a GFL to carry off duty just like us. And they should abide by the same restrictions.

I also think they should turn in all their duty gear including their guns and badges when they go off duty. No take-home cars. The department should be staffed well enough to cover any emergencies that may come up.

Anything else just creates a branch of "super-citizens". Your job has hazards off duty. Deal with it. There are just as many people willing to kill me because I drive a nice car as there are people willing to kill cops because they put them in jail.

16. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I do not want a flame war, and I know nothing about you personally, but I would be willing to bet that you have never come face to face (with your wife and child in tow no less) with someone that you have thrown in jail while just out grabbing supper somewhere. It's got nothing to do with being a "super-citizen".

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

But should officers not have to get a GFL to carry off-duty?

18. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I thought LEOs were sworn to uphold the law no matter if they are "on duty" or not. If that's the case, then no they shouldn't have to have a GFL for off duty. I do expect them to be a little more knowledgeable about the law than most are.

I could imagine eating dinner with my family in public and in walks the guy I arrested 10 years ago (and he's been spending 9 of those 10 in prison). :shock:

19. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I no longer work in LE myself and now I am subject to all the restrictions to carry as regular citizens are. I faced the same dangers as you and even now that I am no longer in LE, I still do run into former inmates who remember me even though I can't remember them. Why should I be prohibited from carrying in all the same places that LEO's carry when I still run the risk of running into a less than cordial former inmate?

20. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Call the cops. That's what the rest of us do.

I understand what you are saying... probably better than you think I do, because, no, you do not know anything about me personally. I just dislike double standards. I'm sure you have reasons to fear for your personal safety and for that of your family. So do I. How about we just take away the badge then and leave you with the gun. Feel better then?

I'm not trying to be hostile or anything... but danger presents itself in many forms. You just happen to think you face danger as a result of your job. Lots of people face danger as a result of where they live. What makes you so special? You get paid for it?