Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was eating lunch at a downtown establishment that serves alchol. I was in full compliance with the law, of course.

A man sat at the table next to ours wearing a glock on his belt...

...and a badge.

I truly felt like a second-class citizen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
That's because you were.
yea!! don't you know nuttin'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,798 Posts
but mzmtg, you have to remember that he is better qualified to handle that Glock fo-tay. You would probably do something stupid like...I dunno...shoot yourself in the leg. You are not professional enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
That does suck....That burns me right up....Something needs to be changed about that vcrazy law...FL allows carry in bars and alcohol serving restaurants now don't they?...How many issues have they had since the change?
 

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
I had a similar feeling at mass yesterday.

I sat down (in a different pew than usual, the church was full for Pentecost) and was next to a Bulloch COunty deupty, who was OCing his Glock in a Bianchi Carry-Lok.

Nice gun, nice holster, but damn if I wasn't upset that he could carry while off-duty but I can't there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
gsusnake said:
I had a similar feeling at mass yesterday.

I sat down (in a different pew than usual, the church was full for Pentecost) and was next to a Bulloch COunty deupty, who was OCing his Glock in a Bianchi Carry-Lok.

Nice gun, nice holster, but damn if I wasn't upset that he could carry while off-duty but I can't there.
Is he new? Sounds like he just wanted to show everybody his "LOOK AT ME. I'M A COP" sign. Why oh why would he OC his duty weapon while off duty at church? It's stuff like that why my agency requires us to carry concealed when off duty or plain clothes.
 

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
legacy38 said:
gsusnake said:
I had a similar feeling at mass yesterday.

I sat down (in a different pew than usual, the church was full for Pentecost) and was next to a Bulloch COunty deupty, who was OCing his Glock in a Bianchi Carry-Lok.

Nice gun, nice holster, but damn if I wasn't upset that he could carry while off-duty but I can't there.
Is he new? Sounds like he just wanted to show everybody his "LOOK AT ME. I'M A COP" sign. Why oh why would he OC his duty weapon while off duty at church? It's stuff like that why my agency requires us to carry concealed when off duty or plain clothes.
It wasn't his G21, it was a 30. I asked him about it and he said he'd rather carry the sub-compact off duty.

That Carry-Lok was an attractive looking holster...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
gsusnake said:
but damn if I wasn't upset that he could carry while off-duty but I can't there.
It’s a shame when the servant has more rights than the master.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
gsusnake said:
legacy38 said:
gsusnake said:
I had a similar feeling at mass yesterday.

I sat down (in a different pew than usual, the church was full for Pentecost) and was next to a Bulloch COunty deupty, who was OCing his Glock in a Bianchi Carry-Lok.

Nice gun, nice holster, but damn if I wasn't upset that he could carry while off-duty but I can't there.
Is he new? Sounds like he just wanted to show everybody his "LOOK AT ME. I'M A COP" sign. Why oh why would he OC his duty weapon while off duty at church? It's stuff like that why my agency requires us to carry concealed when off duty or plain clothes.
It wasn't his G21, it was a 30. I asked him about it and he said he'd rather carry the sub-compact off duty.

That Carry-Lok was an attractive looking holster...
Even at that, why is he OCing like that off duty, especially in church? He'll learn at some point that is better not to be known to be a cop when off duty. As a general rule and with very few exceptions, I don't even wear my uniform back and forth to work.

Do you know how long he has been on the job?
 

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
legacy38 said:
gsusnake said:
legacy38 said:
gsusnake said:
I had a similar feeling at mass yesterday.

I sat down (in a different pew than usual, the church was full for Pentecost) and was next to a Bulloch COunty deupty, who was OCing his Glock in a Bianchi Carry-Lok.

Nice gun, nice holster, but damn if I wasn't upset that he could carry while off-duty but I can't there.
Is he new? Sounds like he just wanted to show everybody his "LOOK AT ME. I'M A COP" sign. Why oh why would he OC his duty weapon while off duty at church? It's stuff like that why my agency requires us to carry concealed when off duty or plain clothes.
It wasn't his G21, it was a 30. I asked him about it and he said he'd rather carry the sub-compact off duty.

That Carry-Lok was an attractive looking holster...
Even at that, why is he OCing like that off duty, especially in church? He'll learn at some point that is better not to be known to be a cop when off duty. As a general rule and with very few exceptions, I don't even wear my uniform back and forth to work.

Do you know how long he has been on the job?
It wasn't full-open... it was covered by his jacket but I noticed it when he stood up.

No clue how long he's been working for them.

Nice guy, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
gsusnake said:
legacy38 said:
gsusnake said:
legacy38 said:
gsusnake said:
I had a similar feeling at mass yesterday.

I sat down (in a different pew than usual, the church was full for Pentecost) and was next to a Bulloch COunty deupty, who was OCing his Glock in a Bianchi Carry-Lok.

Nice gun, nice holster, but damn if I wasn't upset that he could carry while off-duty but I can't there.
Is he new? Sounds like he just wanted to show everybody his "LOOK AT ME. I'M A COP" sign. Why oh why would he OC his duty weapon while off duty at church? It's stuff like that why my agency requires us to carry concealed when off duty or plain clothes.
It wasn't his G21, it was a 30. I asked him about it and he said he'd rather carry the sub-compact off duty.

That Carry-Lok was an attractive looking holster...
Even at that, why is he OCing like that off duty, especially in church? He'll learn at some point that is better not to be known to be a cop when off duty. As a general rule and with very few exceptions, I don't even wear my uniform back and forth to work.

Do you know how long he has been on the job?
It wasn't full-open... it was covered by his jacket but I noticed it when he stood up.

No clue how long he's been working for them.

Nice guy, though.
Okay, there was at least an attempt to conceal it then. That makes more sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
Cops should be required to get a GFL to carry off duty just like us. And they should abide by the same restrictions.

I also think they should turn in all their duty gear including their guns and badges when they go off duty. No take-home cars. The department should be staffed well enough to cover any emergencies that may come up.

Anything else just creates a branch of "super-citizens". Your job has hazards off duty. Deal with it. There are just as many people willing to kill me because I drive a nice car as there are people willing to kill cops because they put them in jail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
foshizzle said:
Cops should be required to get a GFL to carry off duty just like us. And they should abide by the same restrictions.

I also think they should turn in all their duty gear including their guns and badges when they go off duty. No take-home cars. The department should be staffed well enough to cover any emergencies that may come up.

Anything else just creates a branch of "super-citizens". Your job has hazards off duty. Deal with it. There are just as many people willing to kill me because I drive a nice car as there are people willing to kill cops because they put them in jail.
I do not want a flame war, and I know nothing about you personally, but I would be willing to bet that you have never come face to face (with your wife and child in tow no less) with someone that you have thrown in jail while just out grabbing supper somewhere. It's got nothing to do with being a "super-citizen".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,798 Posts
But should officers not have to get a GFL to carry off-duty?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,624 Posts
Rammstein said:
But should officers not have to get a GFL to carry off-duty?
I thought LEOs were sworn to uphold the law no matter if they are "on duty" or not. If that's the case, then no they shouldn't have to have a GFL for off duty. I do expect them to be a little more knowledgeable about the law than most are.

I could imagine eating dinner with my family in public and in walks the guy I arrested 10 years ago (and he's been spending 9 of those 10 in prison). :shock:
 

·
Professional Troll
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
legacy38 said:
foshizzle said:
Cops should be required to get a GFL to carry off duty just like us. And they should abide by the same restrictions.

I also think they should turn in all their duty gear including their guns and badges when they go off duty. No take-home cars. The department should be staffed well enough to cover any emergencies that may come up.

Anything else just creates a branch of "super-citizens". Your job has hazards off duty. Deal with it. There are just as many people willing to kill me because I drive a nice car as there are people willing to kill cops because they put them in jail.
I do not want a flame war, and I know nothing about you personally, but I would be willing to bet that you have never come face to face (with your wife and child in tow no less) with someone that you have thrown in jail while just out grabbing supper somewhere. It's got nothing to do with being a "super-citizen".
I no longer work in LE myself and now I am subject to all the restrictions to carry as regular citizens are. I faced the same dangers as you and even now that I am no longer in LE, I still do run into former inmates who remember me even though I can't remember them. Why should I be prohibited from carrying in all the same places that LEO's carry when I still run the risk of running into a less than cordial former inmate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
legacy38 said:
I do not want a flame war, and I know nothing about you personally, but I would be willing to bet that you have never come face to face (with your wife and child in tow no less) with someone that you have thrown in jail while just out grabbing supper somewhere. It's got nothing to do with being a "super-citizen".
Call the cops. That's what the rest of us do.

I understand what you are saying... probably better than you think I do, because, no, you do not know anything about me personally. I just dislike double standards. I'm sure you have reasons to fear for your personal safety and for that of your family. So do I. How about we just take away the badge then and leave you with the gun. Feel better then?

I'm not trying to be hostile or anything... but danger presents itself in many forms. You just happen to think you face danger as a result of your job. Lots of people face danger as a result of where they live. What makes you so special? You get paid for it?
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top