I don't get it...

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by DrGlock, Feb 25, 2007.

1. DrGlock

DrGlock New Member

Someone help this transplanted yankee out (that would be me):

In New York, if you had a gun and were not a LOE, you were assumed to be a criminal. NY gun laws are a joke, so no surprise there!

But in the great State of Georgia, and especially my little corner, EVERYONE has a BUNCH of guns. They are everywhere down here.

How in the world can people be shocked by seeing open carry, or is this my very warped view of georgia because my itsy bitsy teeny weeny town happens to have a lot of gun toters?

2. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

It's not the locals, it's those transplanted northerners who are shocked by the prospect that non-LEO's can, or even want to carry a weapon.

*disclaimer* I am a transplanted yankee
    Southerner by heart, just born in the wrong place.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

+1

I'm originally from California. My parents "don't understand where this gun stuff came from." They support what I do for the most part so long as they don't have to handle the guns.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My inlaws in upstate New York don't get it (even after my mother inlaw was robbed at gun point).and got upset when I bought my 10 year old daughter an ait pistol(Just wait until they find out that I'm getting her a Cricket .22 for her 11th b-day). My parents in TN fully understand.

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Heck, I'm from Indiana. The only place we can't cary back home are schools. Bars, check. Court, check. Jail... almost check... lol. Can't be an inmate.

It's the big cities that make it tough for gun owners. Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, etc... they all have like ONE kinda-big city or a bunch of small cities. I think Florida is the big exception and I don't know why.

You get into california or a bunch of the East coast, you have a whole bunch of big cities in each state. OR, as is the case in IL or NY, you have one ENORMOUS city that pretty much rules state politics.

A lot of GA is still rural. There is still a majority outside of the city, so Atlanta can't dictate politics like Chicago or NYC can. 95% of Georgia is great to guns, but you're still probably going to be arrested if you open carry at the underground mall downtown. I think it's cities with populations over 1 million in the incorporated areas that try to get rid of us. As they bring in the criminals. :screwy:

6. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

yep im lucky to be born and raised here in GA i grew up in Forsyth and Dawson country so none of the city crap....everyone i know has always had firearms from hunting to just shooting in the back yard with bb guns and .22 im sure a lot of the "panic" from people are the people who have relocated from up north or other urban areas were "guns are bad you don't need a gun" mentality is held......i also thought ga guns laws were good until i actually turned 21 and started doing some research etc....they need a lot more work

7. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

My wife is from Long Island and her dad is a retired NY Cop and they didn't think we could have and carry guns legally. On to the subject matter I was going to write. Open carry is legal here with a GFL and everyone to his own but let me ask why we would want to carry open?

Here is my take; no one needs to kn ow I have a gun except me. no one needs to be able to walk up behind me and take my gun ( i know this happened, it happened at Arbor Place Mall). Open carry may have it's place but I personally do not think it is tacticaly sound for everyday carry (EDC). So everyone give me your reason that you would want to carry open?

8. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

DrGlock~

+1 more here. I was born and partially raised in Detroit. Hence why I own several guns now :wink: ...I moved here in the early 80's with my family. Have lived her every since. Married a born and raised GA girl, (Conyers) and completely understand what has been said here about those from the north thinking that we cannot legally own and carry guns.

Detroit is very rough on legal gun owners. Citizens are at the mercy of every criminal with a gun. I have lived in rural GA for 25 years and will from now on.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Firearmz, I open carry for a multitude of reasons. Most of the time it just comes down to comfort. Also, I think that exposing people in non-threatening ways to firearms will desensitize them. If people see them enough, even if it does not register in their minds, it will be a positive experience for them. If people think that no one does carry firearms, they'll believe there is no reason to allow them.

Beyond that, and I say this with all due respect, I think you are fooling yourself if you think that a determined person does not know you are carrying. Everyone has tells. A tug on the right side of your shirt, protecting your right side, constantly looking around, these are all things that give people away. There are more than what I wrote, but those are some of the main points.

At night I conceal carry, but during the day I am more likely to open carry.

10. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

This is some what of a true statement, people who are uncomfortable with carry ing aq gun, paranoid or have not determined the proper way to carry a gun will have these tale tell signs. Those of those that have it figured out and who are totally comfortable with it do not display these types of unconcious signals.

11. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Firearmz, I would be very intersted in hearing the above mentioned incident. I used to work/play at Arbor Place several years ago and I always carried there. I know first hand the mall has a no weapons policy, but since I didn't work for the mall and for a leasee there wasn't much they could do. I befriended the head of security there and he welcomed me to carry and also disclosed to me that one of his officers carries as well.

But alas alot has changed since then, they have a new head of security so they probably go strictly by the book now and I don't go there anyway because it has become a gang magnet.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I spot people all the time who are printing without giving off any signals.

Anyway, my idea of carry is a real gun, in .45, and it is difficult to conceal. Also, I open carried almost every day for 12 years, and concealed carry just sort of feels, well, weird.

I concealed Saturday at the Utah license class, if you can call untucking a shirt over an H&K USP in an outside the waistband holster "concealing." Thankfully, none of the other students attending the class attempted a "weapon snatch." :lol:

13. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

That's what you think! ICP told me that while you were distracted he took your USB and replaced it with an AIRSOFT replica... :lol:

14. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I carry anything from G19's to full size 1911's and have not been made. As for seeing people yes I do too but they are the ones that just have not learned from hard work, trial and error.

15. Malum Prohibitum

How on earth would you know? :D

16. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Becasue no one has told me I had a gun on. We see people all the time that we assume have a gun but for all we know it could ne an insulin pump, cell phone, heavy wallet or a multitude of other things. How often do we lift shirts or open jackets to see what people are wearing? I know I don't make a habit of it.

My point is if you are going to wear a gun wear it smartly, have good support gear that works as designed. Conceal it and chances are you won't have to adjust it and if you do it will be a concious decision and done at your discretion. It is not difficult to conceal a pistol from a 1911 down to a j-frame and not tell on your self.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Firearmz, I tell people the exact same thing about free speech. Glad to see we are on the same wavelength.

18. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

That's what you think! ICP told me that while you were distracted he took your USB and replaced it with an AIRSOFT replica... :lol:[/quote:1wakhacl]

And you promised me you wouldn't tell! That was our little secret!