I didn't know they still did this in HS?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by VolGrad, Oct 3, 2007.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I hope this article doesn't draw negative attention to their program.

2. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

I wish i could pull up some local paper articles for you, but they are long gone off the internet.

I read a story where a young girl from Dahlonega had beaten a record or something like that with her rifle. And White County HS has a good shotgunning team.

3. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

Theres a USMC Gunny that coaches a Navy JROTC marksman team at Lithonia HS. I saw where they competed at Fort Benning last year.

4. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Air rifles? I thought they used single shot .22's for the rifle team. :?

5. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

actually it is more common than I thought. check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program, established by Congress. You can also buy surplus rifles from them, if you are a member of a shooting club.

CMP

clubs in Georgia

Search Results

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I shot varsity rifle team for my school back in high school.

I've been to Cedar Shoal for a Raider competition...they have a really nice course.

Most of the JROTC programs [at least in the Atlanta/north metro/suburbs] have a rifle team.

7. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I think it is absolutely fantastic that such programs exist. However, I can't believe the left-wingers haven't put the smack-down on it.

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC but since I started this thread, I can hi-jack it. I was in Clyde yesterday and they were unloading and checking in a shipment of stuff. Included in this shipment was a huge $8,000 Barrett. Holy Crap!!! I don't know the first thing about these weapons but dang it looked mean.

Also noticed used Glocks were $100 off. They had a few second gen G22s and G17s and maybe some others for $349-399 minus $100. They had some wear but I am sure would make a great first or backup weapon for the cash strapped. Used Sigs were $50, prices varied. Again, they had some wear and were not CPOs. At this point I had a new G21SF in my hand. I had been thinking of selling/trading my second gen G22 to get one. After seeing those prices I figured out really quickly that was not going to be an option. My G22 is in much better condition and has new Trijs but I still would never get enough to be worth the difference. It will remain a keeper for now.

8. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

GMC (georgia military college) here in milledgeville, its really a private middle school, high school, and 2 yr college combined into one campus they have rifle teams in the middle school and the high school

9. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

All rifle team mean for my JROTC was taking some beat-up demilled garands around the parking lot and doing exhibition drill.

I would have killed to do something like this in JROTC.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Viper, they call that drill team.

11. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

We got the "rifle team" ribbon for participation on it. Drill team for us didn't involve guns.

Of course I was in Air Force JROTC, I'm guessing you were in Army JROTC?

12. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Wish they did that at my HS...damn government schools.....

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

yep :D

14. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

When I was in Korea, our Air Force JROTC team drilled with rifles. :p

15. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Were those rifles real?

16. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I think that just absolutely rocks!

Rifle teams in HS. Wow... :woohoo:

And speaking of hijacking a thread... :offtopic:

If people who belong to a "gun club" can buy from the CMP, what would it take to get GCO certified as a "gun club" allowing said purchases?

Some of those surplus beauties are really sweet.....!

:wink:

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Get your C&R...it works.

18. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Me too 8)

19. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

I highly doubt it. Replicas at best.

20. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

yep cedar shoals is right down the street from my condo... my friend shot on white county's shotty team and they always did well