I CCW'd for the first time today

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Mafuta54, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

It was only for a couple of hours and I don't own an IWB/SOB type holster, but I had my windbreaker on as I went to Crystal and Publix. I didn't fidget much but I was worried that i might be printing! :lol:

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

By your laugh-smiley, I'd guess that everything went well. I assume that with time, some of the initial nervousness/fidgeting will go away.

I'll be in the same boat soon enough.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I felt exactly the same way when I made my very first outing, which was to Walmart.

As for the nervousness, it does lower quite a bit but will not go away. I also don't think it should. A little nervousness means you are paying attention to your surroundings and yourself, which is a good thing.

4. CrankE

CrankE New Member

Good for you. My first CCW was to a place that had the little no guns graphic on the outside. Oh well. Dittos to gunstar. If you get to the point where you're complacent carrying a weapon, you probably shouldn't be.

The Mrs. sighs when she sees me putting the gun in the console on church days. I'm not anticipating a church split or anything, but I did look at the Georgia web page showing parolees and was surprised at how many lived within blocks of the church.

It's preparedness. Plain and simple.

5. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

So, what kind of holster did you use?

You may or may not know that it is illegal to carry without a holster in GA.

6. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I have a nylon outside the waist holster for my P95.

7. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I am sure many others here will tell you that a comfortable holster that is good quality will help. It doenst need to cost a mint or anything, however a comfortable holster that holds the firearm securly will help. At least it did to me.

My first holster didnt hold the gun securly to my side and was loose. Mny of the guys here have been carrying forever so they have a good run down of the holsters and service of the companies. Some are better than others.

8. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

OK guys and gals, What would you recommend for a good IWB/SOB/deep concealment CCW holster for a Ruger P95DC?

9. pro2am

pro2am New Member

After everything I've read, my intention is to get a Crossbreed Supertuck or regular Crossbreed IWB. They're inexpensive as compared to some others and I hear the quality and comfort are excellent.

If you want to check it out: www.crossbreedholsters.com

I did find out there are a ton of holster manufacturers out there which easily confuses me on what is the "best" to carry. I guess the best one is the one that I'm most comfortable with...I just need to find it.

10. merlock

merlock New Member

+1

Also, Mafuta, watch the people around you. You'll see that most are in their own little world, happily bleating along :)

11. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I have no complaints about my Comp-Tac CTAC: http://www.comp-tac.com/ct_ctac.html

12. Sharky

Sharky New Member

13. Sharky

Sharky New Member

but for deep comcealment its IWB or my smartcarry.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Just wait till you try open carrying for the first time! :D

15. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I remember my first time :lol: ...no! not that time! :oops:

I got home from work that afternoon and checked the mail. So when I opened the envelope and saw that shiny new license, I immediately strapped on my piece from my car and headed to the mall. I open carried around the mall and in the little strip stores around the mall. I hadn't managed the courage yet to go inside the mall. Noone said a word, that is until I walked into Circuit City.... Well you can find the rest of that story posted somewhere around here.

Up until I got my license I had been taking huge risks mainly due to my ignorance of the law and just taking what others said as truth. I had been told, including by my own father who I trust his judgement very dearly, that open carry without a license was OK! So before I got my actual license I was openly carrying my pistol. It wasn't until a police officer friend of mine saw me carrying and mentioned the license requirement for open carry and not just concealed. I felt really sick to my stomach when he said that and felt even worse afterwards of taking the handgun training class at the sheriff's office and learning the same thing there about the law. I was taken back that all that time I had believed that open carry was legal without a license and I was openly carrying to the gas station and grocery store without a license and breaking the law unbeknownst to me at the time. So now I never take anybody for their word unless I have researched upon it first. I could have really screwed myself up big time had I been caught openly carrying when I didn't have a license.

And my hardheaded father still to this day believes that you can carry a pistol openly without a license.... even after I showed him the law :shakehead:

16. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Wrong Law

I also have been told many times, including gun shop clerks and NRA card-carrying gun rights activists, that "open carry" was legal, no permit required, in Georgia. Just strap one on your hip and go, like a cowboy.

I think part of the problem is the way Georgia's gun laws are spread out over so many different Code sections. As to the specific issue of "open carry," somebody who reads the statute on "carrying a concealed weapon," 16-11-126, will think that open carry is legal, because subsection "a" only criminalizes carrying CONCEALED, and subsection "b" only adds that if you have a permit, you may carry CONCEALED.

This law does not clearly say that if you carry openly away from your home or place of business, you must have a license.

There is a law that says that, but it is several pages away in the Code book: 16-11-128.

Notice also that the special laws criminalizing possession of weapons in two specific areas, schools and nuclear power plants, are properly located among the other gun laws in the 16-11-100 range, but other special gun laws, such as those concerning mass transportation facilities, prisons, and parks, are found in very remote sections of the Code, some of them not even in Title 16 (crimes) at all!

I would volunteer to teach a course about Georgia's gun laws, but I honestly have to question the result of educating the general public about our gun laws. If we make people more aware of them, will fewer people violate them? That would be good. But will more people BE CAUGHT violating them, facing 20-year felonies for conduct that is not any sort of crime at all in most other states? Is that a desireable outcome--to prompt enforcement of a silly law that ought to be wiped from the books and has rarely, if ever, been enforced?

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Sometimes the only way to get stupid laws off the books is for an otherwise innocent and law abiding person to be busted doing it.

I recall a law that criminalized selling subway tokens, even for their face value. The case was someones dollar would not go into the change machine so someone offered to exchange the dollar for the tokens they had in their pockets, and was arrested. The negative publicity caused the legislature to change the law.

19. dcunited

dcunited Member

I'll let someone else be that innocent someone. :D

20. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Ditto.

My first time out I must have looked like I was a thief trying to hide hidden merch under my shirt.

I'd pay to see me my first time out, just so I could get a good laugh.