I am finally back in GA, got a quick question about my UT.

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Dan, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Dan

Dan Active Member

I carry concealed here gun right now, but if for some reason my glock is showing (shirt riding up), could I get arrested since my Utah says "Concealed Firearm Permit".

Thanks in advance, and it is good to be back in state where I can carry.

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You may carry in GA with your Utah license as long as you are not a resident of GA. If you are a resident of GA, you must carry with the GFL.

If you are not a GA resident...GA recognizes Utah's license as its own so you may open or concealed carry with it while in GA.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Exactly, while visiting a reciprocal state (one that honors a permit you have), in the eyes of the law your Utah "Concealed Firearm Permit" turns into the license/permit of the state you are visiting. In GA's case, you must follow the laws regarding a Georgia Firearms License.

Which means that you must avoid the places off limits just like a GFL holder does.

However, like said above, once you are no longer visiting GA and are considered to be a GA resident, the Utah license is no longer valid in GA.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

In Utah, it is called a concealed carry license because no license is required to carry a pistol openly (just like the majority of states - 27 to be more precise). In Utah, the right to bear arms openly is considered a "right" as opposed to a "privilege" handed out to white folks by the county ordinary.

(I know, I know, it is now race neutral - but it is helpful to remember from time to time why Georgia is one of the minority of states that licenses open carry)

5. Towedjmpr

Towedjmpr New Member

I guess this question is some what related to the previous one.

I just moved back to Georgia from Colorado. I am legally a resident of Colorado. My wife is active military and is stationed at Ft Mac in Atlanta.

I do not want to get a GA Drivers license as Colorado gives me my Disabled Veteran plates free (No vehicle taxes).

I do not have a CCW permit from Colorado. Can I obtain one from Georgia (Paulding County)?

All I can see is a requirement for an official document showing residency.

Any advice would be appreciated.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Tough - you have only thirty days to get the drivers license, and they do enforce this.

7. Towedjmpr

Towedjmpr New Member

Not if your here on official Military orders. I am allowed to maintain my Colorado residency.

8. Malum Prohibitum

On the firearms license, technically they are not supposed to issue you one, since you are not active duty military and you have not declared Georgia to be your domicile, but, in practice, I do not think they ever inquire into domicile, but only into residence. Therefore, they will issue to you when you show proof of residency in the county in which you are applying.

9. Malum Prohibitum

O.C.G.A. 40-2-90

OPINIONS OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

NONRESIDENT SERVICEMEN STATIONED IN GEORGIA. --Federal provision removes nonresident servicemen stationed in Georgia from the operation of this section and exempts them from the obligation of securing license plates in Georgia so long as they obtain them from the state of their domicile. 1957 Op. Att'y Gen. p. 186.

Is there something about driver's licenses, too? Also, I am not sure it specifically addresses spouses.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Well, your driver's license is free here until age 65 (although I cannot quite figure out if it is only veterans serving during certain periods of time or all veterans).

http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/military-drivers.php

11. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

It's for Veterans that have or are serving during time of war. When I got mine they said it was a "lifetime" license. Then I noticed it had an experation date and asked the clerk at the DMV if my doctor said something to her that he hadn't told me. :shock: She then told me when I hit 65 I have to get a eye test to renew. :lol:

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I thought Utah is a licensed open carry state like GA BUT you may open carry without a license if you "Israeli carry" (without one in the chamber or without one ready to fire on the first pull of the trigger in a revolver).

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

http://www.opencarry.org/ut.html

14. Towedjmpr

Towedjmpr New Member

O.C.G.A. 40-2-90

OPINIONS OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

NONRESIDENT SERVICEMEN STATIONED IN GEORGIA. --Federal provision removes nonresident servicemen stationed in Georgia from the operation of this section and exempts them from the obligation of securing license plates in Georgia so long as they obtain them from the state of their domicile. 1957 Op. Att'y Gen. p. 186.

Is there something about driver's licenses, too? Also, I am not sure it specifically addresses spouses.[/quote:eum2a1up]

Hate to dredge up old stuff, but just wanted to give an update.

I received my permit yesterday. Both my wife and I applied with our Colorado licenses and there was no issue, other than it taking forever.

15. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

It only took my step-father three years to get his GA license and that was after he finally lost his MD license. Oh yeah, he is a lawyer too. :lol: