Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MS Windows. It's the biggest and worst piece of :censored: I deal with everyday for the last 20+ years. It has cost me and other colleagues more hours/days of productive time than any other tool ever imagined.

I can use/maintain/hack UNIX/Linux, Mac and Windows OSes but I truely regret having to spend any time on a Windows machine.

For those of you who haven't tried a Mac, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

Macs are to Windows, Glocks are to black powder pistols.
 

·
Tactical Statistician
Joined
·
13,595 Posts
tace said:
For those of you who haven't tried a Mac, you owe it to yourself to check them out.
I purchased a Mac iBook a couple of years ago thinking I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Two mistakes: First, I bought the 12 in. version which was so small I couldn't type on it and couldn't see $#!# on the screen. Second mistake, it was a Mac.

I am sure it is a great system but having used a PC forever I had trouble adjusting to the differences in navigation, etc. I use PCs at work so switching back and forth further screwed me up. Everything I thought I new about computers immediately went out the window(s). LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a Mac iBook 12 inch, same as yours, 3.5 years ago. It has been THE BEST computer experience I have had so far. I use it daily when I am not on my work PC. I love how everything just works and I don't have to reboot a billion times or install this and that to secure.
 

·
Tactical Statistician
Joined
·
13,595 Posts
tace said:
I bought a Mac iBook 12 inch, same as yours, 3.5 years ago. It has been THE BEST computer experience I have had so far. I use it daily when I am not on my work PC. I love how everything just works and I don't have to reboot a billion times or install this and that to secure.
so they say.....to each his own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,127 Posts
I'm with you, Volgrad. After 20 years or so w/ PCs, I've finally figured out how to do all that I need to do and have no inclination to start the process all over again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,313 Posts
tace said:
MS Windows. It's the biggest and worst piece of :censored: I deal with everyday for the last 20+ years. It has cost me and other colleagues more hours/days of productive time than any other tool ever imagined.

I can use/maintain/hack UNIX/Linux, Mac and Windows OSes but I truely regret having to spend any time on a Windows machine.

For those of you who haven't tried a Mac, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

Macs are to Windows, Glocks are to 1911's
FTFY :)

/likes 1911's
//likes to stoke the fire of gun envy even more
 

·
Tactical Statistician
Joined
·
13,595 Posts
Bulldawg182 said:
I'm with you, Volgrad. After 20 years or so w/ PCs, I've finally figured out how to do all that I need to do and have no inclination to start the process all over again.
How is it a VOL and a DAWG seem to keep agreeing on things?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,127 Posts
In truth, I'm not really that big of a UGA fan. My son is at Auburn so I'm an Auburn fan too. I coached a few of the current players at UGA when they were little guys until they entered high school so I have a soft spot in my heart for watching them play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
I HATE Mac's. My fiancee has them because she's a graphic designer, but I can't stand them. I love knowing all the shortcuts on PC's and every time I have to use her computer I want to unholster and fire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,127 Posts
budder said:
VOLGRAD said:
Bulldawg182 said:
I'm with you, Volgrad. After 20 years or so w/ PCs, I've finally figured out how to do all that I need to do and have no inclination to start the process all over again.
How is it a VOL and a DAWG seem to keep agreeing on things?
Lack of brain cells.
Oh, come on, Budderball......in a battle of wits, you're virtually unarmed! :lol: :wink: Besides, what we did back in college is none of your business! :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wsweeks2 said:
I HATE Mac's. My fiancee has them because she's a graphic designer, but I can't stand them. I love knowing all the shortcuts on PC's and every time I have to use her computer I want to unholster and fire.
Hint: use the Apple key instead of Ctrl ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
tace said:
wsweeks2 said:
I HATE Mac's. My fiancee has them because she's a graphic designer, but I can't stand them. I love knowing all the shortcuts on PC's and every time I have to use her computer I want to unholster and fire.
Hint: use the Apple key instead of Ctrl ;)
It's not just the simple ones. There are more that don't work on the Mac. I hate to use a mouse if I don't have to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
tace said:
Macs are to Windows, Glocks are to black powder pistols.
I have a lot of fun with my .44 caliber 1860 Colt Army repro!! :flame:

I don't own a glock and probably never will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
I have been in PC related work since 1985 (long before windows). I use a Windoze system all day at work and have to deal with the 700 or so employees in my company that constantly complain about issues with their systems, the anti-virus or the anti-spyware slowing them down, or patches we have to push out or the daylight savings time problems related to the outlook calendars, etc. About 6 years ago I got so fed up with my own home system I tossed it out and purchased my first Mac. It is wonderful to go home to a computer that just works. No A/V or spyware updates, it just friggin works. I don't need to uninstall 100 pieces of crapware off it when it is new, I don't need to instantly spend an extr a$50-$100 bucks for software to protect it from the nasties, I don't need to reload the OS once per year because it mysteriously gets slow. And if I want to sell a 3 year old mac laptop on ebay, I get nearly what I paid for it unlike the 50% per year depreciation of PCs. Yes, the keyboard shortcuts are different, I guess Microsoft didn't copy them all properly when they stole their GUI from Apple. If you are not willing to sit down and spend some open-minded quality time with a Mac you will never get it. But to each his own and you can equate a mac to a glock, they both work when you need them to. Windows is much more like the 1911, it is decent when it works but a little crap in the wrong spot and you need to clean it out and reload it again.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,485 Posts
wsweeks2 said:
tace said:
wsweeks2 said:
I HATE Mac's. My fiancee has them because she's a graphic designer, but I can't stand them. I love knowing all the shortcuts on PC's and every time I have to use her computer I want to unholster and fire.
Hint: use the Apple key instead of Ctrl ;)
It's not just the simple ones. There are more that don't work on the Mac. I hate to use a mouse if I don't have to.
What's hard to get? Most of the shortcuts are exactly the same, just by swapping command with ctrl. In any multi-platform program, like Photoshop, the controls are otherwise the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
So, basically the problem (as helpfully identified by TonyG) is a lack of user skill and attentiveness, which results in the airbags provided by long haired hippie Mac developers being needed by grandma, teenagers and weird porn surfing grandpa touchy feely.

I'm OK with that. I don't have to create boot disks with varying types of high memory area configurations, or worrying about expanded vs. extended memory, etc. anymore.

I do like those "It's always Sunny in Philadelphia" commercials that are a take off of the Mac v. PC ads.

All you Mac users back to your scrapbooking. Us PeeCee users have serious work to do {sneeze}. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,798 Posts
Mac commercial you'll never see:

Mac: hey PC

PC: hey Mac

Mac: so what are you doing PC?

PC: playing any computer game ever made.

Mac:......oh..... =(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
Apple sells PCs these days, not Macs. OSX is nice, but I'm not paying a premium for PC hardware with a little plastic apple on it. When they'll sell me just OSX, I'll give 'em a looksee.

I had a Linux desktop for years. There are +'s and -'s to them all... except FreeBSD. FreeBSD pwnz all, and the FreeBSD Daemon is much better than a penquin, a window, or an apple. Want proof?
http://izb.knu.ac.kr/~bh/stuff/freebsd-003.png
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top