Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

I-16 At Soperton SR-86 Overpass

2K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Nemo 
#1 ·
Bridge hit by dump truck moves 6 feet. Thats probably not a good road to use for a couple days.

Go checks the pics.

Nemo

#4 ·
Or at least limit vehicle speed to slow until it's lowered.

From the article:
"It's something our engineers have never seen before," a Georgia Department of Transportation spokesperson said.
I find that hard to believe unless they are simply talking about the amount of bridge movement. Dump trucks and other things have been hitting bridges for as long as I can remember. It's not a everyday thing, but it's likely something GDOT engineers would have experienced in their career.

#8 ·
Must be a new virus and all the truck drivers are catching it.

#10 ·
If you get a fully loaded dump truck hauling a heavy load, traveling at speed, you're gonna have a lot of energy when you dissipate it in a collision.

Those beam sections aren't particularly massive, and they just rely on gravity to keep them on the stanchions. Apply a lateral force great enough and "hello Soperton!"

#22 ·
That is a frameless dump trailer. The running gear and truck broke away from it upon impact.

What is known, he went under a lower bridge before this one so the trailer was down. He had a female passenger in the truck that "may have hit the lever", the lever resides between and slightly forward of the seats. Speculation is he may have been preoccupied by the actions of the female passenger so much so he did not realize the dump was up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.