Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bridge hit by dump truck moves 6 feet. Thats probably not a good road to use for a couple days.

Go checks the pics.

Nemo

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Any good places between Savannah and Macon that can repair teeth marks on a steering wheel? Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
You'd think as many YouTube videos of accidents like this out there that they'd put a blinking idiot light in the cab to let the driver know his dump bed is raised.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,523 Posts
You'd think as many YouTube videos of accidents like this out there that they'd put a blinking idiot light in the cab to let the driver know his dump bed is raised.
Or at least limit vehicle speed to slow until it's lowered.

From the article:
"It's something our engineers have never seen before," a Georgia Department of Transportation spokesperson said.
I find that hard to believe unless they are simply talking about the amount of bridge movement. Dump trucks and other things have been hitting bridges for as long as I can remember. It's not a everyday thing, but it's likely something GDOT engineers would have experienced in their career.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
From the article:

"It's something our engineers have never seen before," a Georgia Department of Transportation spokesperson said.
I find that hard to believe unless they are simply talking about the amount of bridge movement. Dump trucks and other things have been hitting bridges for as long as I can remember. It's not a everyday thing, but it's likely something GDOT engineers would have experienced in their career.
Shoddy reporting. What was actually said in the video was "It's something some of our engineers have never seen before,"

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Another angle. Look how far the thing moved. Thought they would be built stronger than that.

E6VUXV2XoAkafIB.jpg

·
Registered
4,445 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Dump truck drivers are the worst of the cdl drivers, and they're paid by the load, so they're always in a hurry.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you get a fully loaded dump truck hauling a heavy load, traveling at speed, you're gonna have a lot of energy when you dissipate it in a collision.

Those beam sections aren't particularly massive, and they just rely on gravity to keep them on the stanchions. Apply a lateral force great enough and "hello Soperton!"

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Bridge hit by dump truck moves 6 feet. Thats probably not a good road to use for a couple days.

Go checks the pics.

Nemo

They removed the bridge on Thursday night and by Friday evening, all lanes of I-16 are reopened. I'm sure that'll change when they begin to rebuild the bridge, but there's no timeframe for that yet.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
The dumper was raised. The driver didn't notice that before he drove off from wherever? He didn't notice any drag? :oops:

·
PITA
326 Posts
And he didn't notice that the truck felt extra top-heavy? It's not like he just drove across the street (which is a mistake anyone could make). He got up to freaking cruising speed on an interstate.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Looking at the pics again I just noticed that the tractor is missing! I don't see it anywhere. Did the driver take off and disappear?

·
Senior Mumbler
6,523 Posts
You would think that there would be a safety mechanism that limits the speed of a dump truck until the bed is down.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts