Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You live in a small town. Lately there's been a series of rapes/murders of young women. The murder weapon in all cases is a knife.

One day, you're out in the woods and hear a blood curdling scream. You run toward it and in the distance it just looks like a couple of people fighting. When you get closer you see a bloodied young female fall to the ground and the man who was attacking her running away empty handed. You see the murder weapon on the ground, a large knife.

It's getting a little dark and you cannot identify the man. If it's the serial killer you know he will strike again.

Do you shoot what appears to be an unarmed man in the back running away?

What does Georgia law say about this situation, if anything?

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 3 - DEFENSES TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTIONS
ARTICLE 2 - JUSTIFICATION AND EXCUSE
§ 16-3-21 - Use of force in defense of self or others; evidence of belief that force was necessary in murder or manslaughter prosecution

O.C.G.A. 16-3-21 (2010)
16-3-21. Use of force in defense of self or others; evidence of belief that force was necessary in murder or manslaughter prosecution

(a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force; however, except as provided in Code Section 16-3-23, a person is justified in using force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

(b) A person is not justified in using force under the circumstances specified in subsection (a) of this Code section if he:

(1) Initially provokes the use of force against himself with the intent to use such force as an excuse to inflict bodily harm upon the assailant;

(2) Is attempting to commit, committing, or fleeing after the commission or attempted commission of a felony; or

(3) Was the aggressor or was engaged in a combat by agreement unless he withdraws from the encounter and effectively communicates to such other person his intent to do so and the other, notwithstanding, continues or threatens to continue the use of unlawful force.

(c) Any rule, regulation, or policy of any agency of the state or any ordinance, resolution, rule, regulation, or policy of any county, municipality, or other political subdivision of the state which is in conflict with this Code section shall be null, void, and of no force and effect.

(d) In a prosecution for murder or manslaughter, if a defendant raises as a defense a justification provided by subsection (a) of this Code section, the defendant, in order to establish the defendant's reasonable belief that the use of force or deadly force was immediately necessary, may be permitted to offer:

(1) Relevant evidence that the defendant had been the victim of acts of family violence or child abuse committed by the deceased, as such acts are described in Code Sections 19-13-1 and 19-15-1, respectively; and

(2) Relevant expert testimony regarding the condition of the mind of the defendant at the time of the offense, including those relevant facts and circumstances relating to the family violence or child abuse that are the bases of the expert's opinion.

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-3/article-2/16-3-21

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
OK, armed citizen shoots the crook. Crook dies and citizen gets charged with Murder. You are on the jury. You now have the facts and the law.

Your decision?

Nemo

me? nfw guilty, he walks.

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
OK, armed citizen shoots the crook. Crook dies and citizen gets charged with Murder. You are on the jury. You now have the facts and the law.

Your decision?

Nemo

me? nfw guilty, he walks.
One would hope someone like you would be on the jury I'd vote not guilty also but what would would happen if there was 12 antis on jury?

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,709 Posts
No shoot. Use of force laws would not allow me to shoot. I'm not the police. I'll try to be a good witness.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,617 Posts
I might shoot, believing it's the ONLY way to stop the serial killer.
Remember, I can't ID this dude.
I doubt I can chase him down on foot(MP prolly could, though).
Me being a "good witness" is unlikely to lead to his arrest.

But shooting him may not be legal.
I'd hope that when the cops link him to the other murders, they'll tell the DA's office not to prosecute.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have mixed feelings. I really don't know if I'd shoot or not. I did not cast a vote.

Shooting him may save another life, but not shooting him may be a good warning to others to not be stupid, i.e. don't be unarmed and unaware of your surroundings.

·
Registered
579 Posts
No shoot from me.

What if the facts come out in court that the young lady was the serial killer and committed the rapes of other women via means of a realistic rubber phallus. Due to these facts, and the fact that the quite muscular deep voiced female offender always wore a mask, surviving victims reported it being a male.

At the hypothetical shoot scenario the court found the female serial killer was trying to kill a male friend who confronted her with evidence she was a killer so the woman tried to kill him...but that potential victim turned the tables.

P.s.
Don't steal my movie idea :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts