Hurricane Michael

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Savannah Dan, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

What a monster this one turned into. The county hardest hit is a fairly poor county. It will take a while to come back from this one.

Steinhatchee, in the south part of the Big Bend, ended up with a surge of 8 feet. The owner of the Sea Hag Marina there said the water was coming up at about a foot an hour. It did not come up as high as it did for Hurricane Hermine in 2016.
    https://www.gainesville.com/photogallery/LK/20160902/PHOTOGALLERY/902009998/PH/1

When I was in the Air Force I lived in Mexico Beach for a year, on Tyndall AFB for 5 years, in Panama city in the Cove area for a year, and in Panama City Beach for 2 years. I get physically ill watching the videos of the area. Hurricane Kate, a Cat 1 that hit the exact same area in 1985, was nothing compared to this. Nothing. I was staying in a hotel on the main drag in PC when it hit. Sign makers were busy for months though. It is good that it did do minimal damage because there was no sheet rock or blue tarps to be had anywhere because of all the hurricanes that summer.

I still have several family members unaccounted for. None were in Mexico Beach, and my people in Port St. Joe evacuated to Tallahassee. Hopefully everyone will be accounted for when they get the cell towers up and running again.

I almost bought a house in Carrabelle, Fl this year. Bought a historic home in the tiny town of Warrenton, Ga instead. I'm glad I did.

2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

My dad has a fish camp on Seminole. He heard their was sustained winds of 140+ as it came over Seminole county. He is driving down tomorrow to see if the trailer stayed ob the lot or is in the neighbors yard.

3. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

My dad lives in seminole county near the lake. Tree took out his back porch and workshop. No power and about 9 trees down on the property

4. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

As of 4:00pm yesterday, all of my people are accounted for. Some literally no longer have a roof over their heads, but everyone is OK.

5. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

My dad says still no power. Luckily he has the generators. He has all his neighbors food in the deep freeze so they are bringing him gas which is in short supply. He said bainbridge is getting power back up so hopefully another week

6. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Dad has a tree on the added bedroom/ screen porch and the trailer itself has several limbs on the roof that busted some of the wall.