Hunting: why do you do it?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Sine Nomen, May 29, 2007.

1. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

I'm guessing we have some hunters here, and I'm hoping I can get a grasp on your hobby. I highly doubt you are blood thirsty savages shouting "Woo Hoo, I killed it!" but I still don't get it. Most hunters I know (though I don't know and very well) seem to have an honest appreciation for life and nature. I've even known some that enjoy "shooting" animals with a camera, which I guess makes some sense. Is it because you particularly like deer/hog/duck meat that is not available at Publix? Is it an excuse to hang out in the wood with your buddies, drink beer, and not have nagging wives? Is it some "back to our roots" thing?

2. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

I guess I will be the first;
    You could ask the same question to fisherpersons, It's the outdoors, the smell of the forest, The sun rise and the crisp cold air, NOT. I enjoy the skill of the long shot, the taste of the meat and the antlers. I do enjoy all of the above, and the fellowship of the other hunters that are in the club. And I almost forgot to mention the adrenaline rush known as buck fever, there is no greater high.
    \:D/

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Speak for yourself! :D

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

One of my favorite Cooperisms.
    All hunters should be shooters and all shooters should be hunters.

You can't really understand the one without the other.

Oh and if you don't think woo hoo I killed it, its time to find a new hobby.

5. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

It's the challenge.

It's also a conservationist thing for me. I'm helping the deer I don't take to live by thinning the herd so they can have more food.

And WOOHOO I KILLED IT is still as applicable now as it was 12 years ago when I got my first one, and I get at least one every season, usually 4 or 5.

I also donate a lot to Hunters for the Hungry. http://www.georgiawildlife.com/content/ ... cument=157

6. rajl

rajl New Member

Well, besides the fact that I love venison, there's also the thrill of accomplishment of making a good shot and being rewarded for it. In my case, though, the reason I hunt is for the meat. The cool wind in the trees, the relaxing peace of nature, or watching the morning mist rise up, are all bonuses to me, but could easily be accomplished without hunting.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Killing is my business...and business is good! :twisted:

Seriously, I used to hunt but I don't anymore. No time, hookup, or money to invest in it. I don't know if I'll really ever get back into it totally. Maybe when my son gets older. My shooting interests have become very defensive minded in the last few years. I have killed deer before but deer hunting is really boring compared to small game hunting with a lot of action. I have hunted ducks in LA, dove, rabbit and quail in Georgia. Nothing compares to the action of a LA duckblind at sunrise, a pack of good beagles on a rabbit, or the fun of a dove hunt with your buddies in the blazing September heat. Sorry, freezing my tail off in a tree just didn't do it for me. Freezing my tail off waist deep in flooded timber is a different story! One of the best times of my life was in the flooded basins of the Ouchata River. La was actually getting snow and sleet so the mallard hunting that day was outstanding.

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

The only hunting I do now is for defense of my lawn.
    I get an extreme pleasure and sense of satisfaction everytime I get to pull down on an armadillo or possum.
    :evil:
    I even smile a bit when I see one that's been splattered on the road. Then I give a small prayer of thanks that it wasn't my car or truck that hit the moveable rock...

Eons ago when I would bird & squirrel hunt it was for the fun, the good food & the challenge. Loved sitting in a huge, very old hardwood forest area not moving waiting for squirrels to stop moving long enough to line up the crosshairs. And MAN my dad could cook up a mean batch of wild game.

9. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I plan on hunting for the first time next year with my fiance. I don't have any real agenda. I think it will be nice to spend some time outdoors and watch the critters run around. I'm not particulary relishing the fact I'm going to kill something, but I am looking forward to filling the freezer full of (relatively) free meat. Of course, this is with already having a few places we can hunt at for free. I'm not sure I would pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for the pleasure of hunting. I guess I'll know after I try it though. I'm looking forward to it. I hope I actually SEE a deer at least. Gotta use all these damn guns for something, I figure.

10. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Hunting like any other challenge is driven purely by the challenge of the chase/hunt itself. There are of course exceptions being that back in the day you would starve if you were unsuccessful, but I enjoyed hunting for the challenge even though one could argue that a high powered rifle isnt necessarily fair. However, you do have to out-smart that for which you are hunting in their own environment. But hunting in its most simplistic form is fueled buy the chase/hunt, so much so that after you have killed what you are hunting, its almost an anti-climax.

11. merlock

merlock New Member

I've never been hunting. I won't eat it, so I won't shoot it.

I cannot stand the taste of wild game :puke:

And sorry, after 22 years in Middle GA, it's fair to say that I've tried it every way possible...so it's not 'how it's cooked'.

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Couldn't have said it better myself... except I don't enjoy the taste of antlers. 8)

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I've never been hunting before.

I've shot a rat caught in a rat trap that wasn't dead yet with a pellet gun (to kill it).

I've shot two fish in a lake with a rifle.

And I've shot at birds a few times with pellet/bb guns but never hit them (or atleast killed them).

Do these count? :oops:

14. Taurus

Taurus New Member

LOL, I like hunting because I figure I'd better kill it first before the cops get it... :lol: Kidding...

Only been squirrel hunting...I have had my sportsman license here for 3 years and never seem to get chance to get out...And when I do, the WMA schedule doesn't fit and it costs to much to lease a plot of land for hunting...

Hopefully this year, things will line up so I can get out...

I like www.gon.com , http://forum.gon.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1 around Woody's campfire...There's some good folks there...

Again maybe things will fall into place this year....

It'd be nice if we had a GCO leased plot and we all pitched in for dues...(I still need to join GCO, huh)...

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:shock:

:!:

:evil:

16. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

p*ss or get off the pot man!
    What are you waiting for?!!

17. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Do you think the public gathering clause is just going to go away on its own? :D

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Hunting

The first time I went deer hunting, it was only to prove that a military "assault rifle" would make a fine deer rifle, thus it's a lie to say that they are "only for killing people." I had already proven that statement to be a lie because of target shooting, being a ranked Highpower Rifle competitor with my M1A (Semi-auto copy of M-14), but I wanted to prove it a lie with regard to hunting, too.

It turns out when you still-hunt the only shot you're likely to get is at a bouncing white-tailed rump, heading away from you 100 yards away with at least a dozen trees in between you and the deer's butt at any given second. Under those conditions, only an M2 with a 100-round belt would bring home the venison.

But when you hunt from a stand over a field that has a food plot growing in it... then your 200-yard shot from the M1A is a lot like everyone else's 200-yard shot with their scoped .30 or 7mm rifle--- and you get the deer.

I used to think that I'd like to hunt wild hogs with an M1 Garand, down on the ground with them, not from a stand. Then I heard about Hogzilla and that other 1000+ pound beast that's the size of a Subaru. Suddenly hunting from a stand, or even from the back of a jeep with the spade grips and butterfly triggers of an M2 in my sweating hands, seems a lot more appealing than pounding the dirt among the critters.

19. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Scopes?

We don't need no freakin' scopes.

I've hit whitetails with a .30-06 at 100 yds with iron sights.

although for anything farther than that, yeah, a scope's nice, I guess