Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the HS zipper bag for a few years but I finally decided to pony up for bibs and a good jacket and they will not fit in the bag with my pants and shirt and other clothing. What are ya'll using for storage that is as close to scent free as possible.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,992 Posts
Sent lock duffle bag, throw in some cedar chips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked at those but I did not want to spend $60 on a bag
 

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
Joined
·
28,152 Posts
scent free?
How about storing the clothes in a box with a bag of dry beans, corn or something else the deer like?
What if you rub a block of deer co-cane all over your hunting clothes, to leave that scent behind?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gunsmoker said:
scent free?
How about storing the clothes in a box with a bag of dry beans, corn or something else the deer like?
What if you rub a block of deer co-cane all over your hunting clothes, to leave that scent behind?
I was thinking a sterilite tub with a bag of corn and leaves from around my stand and spraying everything with scent killer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,992 Posts
Any leaves and stuff will produce moisture and mildew. get some sort of locktite tub from walmart, toss your hunt cloths in there and put some cedar chips in with it. The cedar chips will collect any moisture and at the same time prevent mildew. It will also cover any smells you don't want in there, and since cedar is natural then the scent will blend in when your out hunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gruntpain1775 said:
Any leaves and stuff will produce moisture and mildew. get some sort of locktite tub from walmart, toss your hunt cloths in there and put some cedar chips in with it. The cedar chips will collect any moisture and at the same time prevent mildew. It will also cover any smells you don't want in there, and since cedar is natural then the scent will blend in when your out hunting.
I do not have any cedar trees around my stand. Would that not spook them smelling something foreign. What about getting carbon and putting it in the bottom of a tub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
Store your clothes any way you like.... do not worry about the scent.. if washed correctly there will be little scent... then hang then outside all night before your hunt and you will be just fine... remember most deer you will see will come from up wind of you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,992 Posts
a_springfield said:
gruntpain1775 said:
Any leaves and stuff will produce moisture and mildew. get some sort of locktite tub from walmart, toss your hunt cloths in there and put some cedar chips in with it. The cedar chips will collect any moisture and at the same time prevent mildew. It will also cover any smells you don't want in there, and since cedar is natural then the scent will blend in when your out hunting.
I do not have any cedar trees around my stand. Would that not spook them smelling something foreign. What about getting carbon and putting it in the bottom of a tub.
Maybe not in your stand area, but there may be in the deers area where it roams. Besides, the scent isn't strong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where can i get them. The pet store ones or the cooking ones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,992 Posts
Try a lumber yard and ask for scrap. Or even lowes. A small piece about half the size of a cutting board would do. The pet store may work, just make sure they are impregnated with any weird stuff. A handful of chips in a cheesecloth bag would do just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,992 Posts
Cedar is kinda like natures baking soda. It absorbs all the crap that gives mold and mildew a place to thrive in. Back in the day people would line chests with cedar and store blankets and cloths in them. I have an old cedar lined truck that I keep blankets and quilts in. Keeps them clean and fresh. The chest and cedar in it was made shortly after the war of northern agression, still works wonders.
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
a_springfield said:
where can i get them. The pet store ones or the cooking ones?
Home Depot and Lowes sell small bundles of cedar shims for hanging doors. Not sure how the price will be compared to a bag of chips. There is a Cedar Lumber Yard near 400 at Coal Mountain on 369.
 

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
You should go immediately to your nearest Academy Sports and Outdoors store and spend several hundred dollars on ScentLok totes, spray, and other items.

no seriously, that'd be nice because it'd help keep me employed, but cedar chips should work fine. Or maybe lump charcoal in a bag?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
I usually wash mine with scent free hunting detergent and then store them in XXL Zip Lock bags. They aren't too expensive, and are large enough that I can fit my back pack in one, and boots in another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I use various sized Space Bag I found in wal-mart and throw some fresh earth scented dryer sheets from HunterSpecialties in there. All my clothes absorb the odor of the dryer sheet and last a long time.Smell just like dirt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
lectrikman said:
I use various sized Space Bag I found in wal-mart and throw some fresh earth scented dryer sheets from HunterSpecialties in there. All my clothes absorb the odor of the dryer sheet and last a long time.Smell just like dirt.
This is what I do, but I use a big air tight tote from wally world to store them in. 4 changes of clothes, boots, gloves etc. all fit nicely in that tote. The dryer sheets really do a good job. Just keep in mind, dirt is every where, some other scents may or may not be in the area. If you have pines in the area, that's an option too. As someone already stated, you really must hunt the wind first. Back in the day, we wore what ever, cooked and ate a bacon smelled breakfast and hunted the wind ;)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top