Huckabee's Son Arrested at Airport with Gun

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://tinyurl.com/3ypkde

By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer 42 minutes ago

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - David Huckabee, a son of Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, was arrested at an Arkansas airport Thursday after a federal X-ray technician detected a loaded Glock pistol in his carry-on luggage.

"I removed the bag and asked Mr. Huckabee if he knew what he had in the bag," Little Rock police officer Arthur Nugent wrote in a report after being summoned to a security checkpoint. "He replied he did now."

Huckabee, 26, later pleaded guilty in Little Rock District Court after being charged with a misdemeanor count of possessing a weapon in a prohibited place.
    "It was a silly mistake," Huckabee told reporters as he left the Pulaski County Jail. When asked whether it would affect his father's presidential campaign, Huckabee responded, "It shouldn't."

District Judge Lee Munson gave Huckabee a one-year suspended jail sentence and ordered him into 10 days of community service — which Huckabee can avoid by paying $100. Huckabee will be on probation for a year. Fines and costs totaled $855.
    The son of the former Arkansas governor held a concealed weapons permit at the time of the incident but state police are taking steps to revoke it. The elder Huckabee, who said last week that Virginia Tech gunman Seung-Hui Cho perhaps could have been stopped if a teacher or student had also been armed, also has a concealed weapons permit.

"My wife and I love our son. What he did was irresponsible but not intentional," Mike Huckabee said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.
    Nugent said David Huckabee had a .40-caliber Glock pistol in his black carry-on bag. Eight live rounds were in the gun — none in the chamber — and a nine-round clip was also in the bag. The weapon and ammunition were detained by Little Rock police while David Huckabee's gun permit was seized and given to the Arkansas State Police.

Mike Huckabee said his son grabbed the bag on the way to the airport and didn't realize the gun was inside.
    "It's one of those stupid things," Mike Huckabee said. "He knows better."

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Dang it. I like Huckabee. Right now he seems to be the only Republican candiate that I really thing I could vote for. I noticed he has a CCL which is another +1,000 for him.

Wonder what would have happened if that would have been an average Joe like me that did that? :shock:

3. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

So does this mean if you have DEAD rounds in your gun it's ok?
    I'm glad they detained the gun and the ammunition, we sure wouldn't want them to walk out and commit a terrible gun crime now would we?
    :screwy:

4. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

These news people will never get the terminology right :!:

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Man, I ONLY carry dead rounds in my guns.

I wouldn't want live ones to be hurt by the striker. I'm just that much of a pacifist.

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Think about what his penalty would have been in GA.

Also, I can't believe people don't remember/check to see if they have a gun on them when going to some place like the airport. I've never understood how you can "forget" carrying a gun.

7. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=21096

8. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.oskaloosaherald.com/local/lo ... 74501.html

9. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Must not have been the Glock 7.

10. rejfoxtrot

rejfoxtrot New Member

Brought 3 high powered rifles in an airport before....oh well :p, to check the things your ammunition and guns in seperate locked cases. Also if your flying out of the U.S. you need to fill out fourms proving you didn't purchase them outside of the country when you re-enter. Expect alot of red tape but man when you gotta go hunting...you gotta go.

Why I would purchase a remington and weatherby outside of the country is beyond me.

11. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

Intentional or not?

"I removed the bag and asked Mr. Huckabee if he knew what he had in the bag," Little Rock police officer Arthur Nugent wrote in a report after being summoned to a security checkpoint. "He replied he did now."

"My wife and I love our son. What he did was irresponsible but not intentional," Mike Huckabee said

Well, if he knew he had the gun in the bag, it would appear he intentionally brought it in there. Must be nice to have a father with lots of pull.

12. Saiga-12

Saiga-12 New Member

13. Malum Prohibitum

You think we've got problems now? Just listen to Mike Huckabee, the
    former Arkansas governor and Republican presidential aspirant. At a
    recent Conservative Political Action Conference, he bragged, "I'm not
    a newcomer to the NRA," the New York Times reported on its political
    blog. "I was the first governor to have a conceal-carry permit, so
    don't mess with me."

Huckabee, mind you, recently made a flashy second-place showing in
    the Iowa presidential straw poll.

Do you want to be standing in line for gas, popcorn or a gallon of
    milk and find yourself next to someone who's packing heat? If he
    takes the White House, we can all go shopping for embossed leather
    holsters and pearl-handled pistols. I'll be looking to accessorize
    that with rhinestone-studded boots.

Luckily, Huckabee is a long shot.

Gun Lovers Disarm Control Advocates

14. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

15. Marikhal

Marikhal New Member

Re: Intentional or not?

But he didn't know that the bag was in the bag - which would make it unintentional.