HR 1243 National carry with state permit

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Gunstar1, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It would make all states recognize a firearm permit issued by any
    other state. While visiting any other state, you follow the carry
    laws of your state as well as stay away from the off-limits areas of
    the state you are visiting.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.1243:

Rep. Gingrey is a cosponsor.

2. Whasat

Whasat New Member

Not very familiar with the way these things work, but in reading the link that you posted, it would seem to me that this was enacted by the house and the senate, and that after enacted it will go into effect in 180 days, is this correct? I hope that I am right because this would solve many of the issues that we have with not being able to carry into some states, and further more this would also make it where we only have to follow Georgia CCW laws? I'm very pleased with the people behind this as it will make life much eaiser.

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Not going to happen

It has its problems but still would be nice if it passed, but its not going to happen. You have not seen a filibuster in the Senate compaired to the one this would bring.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Nope. I wish you were right, but the status is as follows. The bill has been introduced, and it is now in the judiciary committee. It has to be approved by the committee before there is even a vote on it. The committee, and the House, are controlled by Republicans.

My representative is a sponsor. Is yours? If not, you need to find out why not.

You also need to pass this on to friends and supporters in other states. Get them to pressure their representatives.

Now!

5. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Called Rep. Tom Price, MD [GA-6] this AM in re: HR1243. Spoke to Ryan and told him that I was upset that Price was not a co-sponsor.

Also told him that I wanted Price to co-sponsor HR1703 (remove 'Sporting Purpose' from all Federal laws) and HR1603 (Vidio tape of examination and testing of firearms and ammo).

Told Ryan in closing that I would be very unhappy with Price if I didn't see him as a co-sponsor of these three bills in the next week or so.

Price's office number in DC is 202-255-4501.

6. Malum Prohibitum

You might send him a short letter on each of those . . .

7. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Well, it's been two weeks (6-13 to 6-27). I've checked on 'Thomas' and there is no indication of Price adding his name as co-sponsonring 1703, 1243, 1603. Haven't even gotten an ackowlegement that I called.

Price obviously is not interested in keeping the Oath he swore or representing his constiuents or even communicating with them.

Another crooked, hack politician is identified.

8. Malum Prohibitum

The link shows no further action other than that it was introduced in March. Does that link get updated?

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

a link off that page says

10. Malum Prohibitum

66 sponsors. From Georgia:

Sanford Bishop Jr. (2)

Lynn Westmoreland (8) - mine

Phil Gingrey (11)

Jack Kingston (1)

Charlie Norwood (9)

That leaves, what, 8 districts as not sponsoring it?

No action has been taken on this since it was referred to the subcomittee in May (4 months ago). There are no Georgia representatives on this subcomittee.

Perhaps we should pass this bill number on to friends and relatives in other states.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Still in subcommittee . . .