How to ...... get this darn M3 light off my Glock!

Discussion in 'How to' started by Jason F, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Jason F

Jason F Member

I have a Glock 21SF that I mounted an Insight M3 tac light on several months ago. I bought a Surefire to replace the M3, and the Surefire arrived the other day in the mail.

I pulled the Glock out, emptied the chamber and removed the magazine and went to remove the light... and the darn thing won't let go. I can pull the little "tabs" that are supposed to release the light (per the instructions), and when I pull them the light does move a bit- I can feel it slide forward and backward along the pitcanny rail. But it won't "let go" and unhook from the frame.

I've tried dozens of times, from all the angles, and things I can think of over the past few days. I've currently got the Glock locked down in my vise so that it won't budge I can use two hands on the light even, and still, no joy.

Anybody got any ideas?? I know it sounds ridiculous, and it is.... but that thing is just on there and must be hooked in to the rail or something because it just won't pull away from the frame.

Thanks for any ideas guys. Gosh I feel stupid having to ask for help with this.... :help:

2. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Might need a little "metal on metal" contact.................HAMMER! If you didn't put it on, the earlier owner might have used Locktite or it's equivalent.

3. Jason F

Jason F Member

Hmm, that makes me leery- but the idea has crossed my mind! :)

I put it on, but I'd never put one on a gun before so nothing felt weird or abnormal when it mounted- but then again I wouldn't have known any better either.

I've even tried sticking a small tool along the underside of the frame between the bottom of the rails and the top of the light, to try and catch the "lock bar" and hold it up out of the way of the rails so it will slide off- still no joy. Thats what makes me think something might be wrong.

4. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Link

Edit: Or just shoot it off:
    Link

5. Jason F

Jason F Member

Finally got the M3 off tonight. Jammed a small flathead screwdriver in either of the "release" button holes, and applied pressure in the right direction. Then pulled for all my worth and it finally eeked it's way loose.

What a PITA. I wonder if it was caused the rail on the Glock, or by the mounting points on the light..... Hmm, I'll have to look in to that.

6. e30drftr

e30drftr New Member

use another gun to shoot it off.

done.

7. SilentGhost

SilentGhost New Member

I was gonna say pistol whip, but since you already got it off.....