Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Glock 21SF that I mounted an Insight M3 tac light on several months ago. I bought a Surefire to replace the M3, and the Surefire arrived the other day in the mail.

I pulled the Glock out, emptied the chamber and removed the magazine and went to remove the light... and the darn thing won't let go. I can pull the little "tabs" that are supposed to release the light (per the instructions), and when I pull them the light does move a bit- I can feel it slide forward and backward along the pitcanny rail. But it won't "let go" and unhook from the frame.

I've tried dozens of times, from all the angles, and things I can think of over the past few days. I've currently got the Glock locked down in my vise so that it won't budge I can use two hands on the light even, and still, no joy.

Anybody got any ideas?? I know it sounds ridiculous, and it is.... but that thing is just on there and must be hooked in to the rail or something because it just won't pull away from the frame.

Thanks for any ideas guys. Gosh I feel stupid having to ask for help with this.... :help:

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Might need a little "metal on metal" contact.................HAMMER! If you didn't put it on, the earlier owner might have used Locktite or it's equivalent.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, that makes me leery- but the idea has crossed my mind! :)

I put it on, but I'd never put one on a gun before so nothing felt weird or abnormal when it mounted- but then again I wouldn't have known any better either.

I've even tried sticking a small tool along the underside of the frame between the bottom of the rails and the top of the light, to try and catch the "lock bar" and hold it up out of the way of the rails so it will slide off- still no joy. Thats what makes me think something might be wrong.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Removal takes a bit more practice, as it requires pulling the securing bar down at the same time as the light is being pulled forward and off the rail. Especially with the Glock, removing the light takes somewhat more effort than putting it on, but with practice it could still be done as quickly.
Link

Edit: Or just shoot it off:
Brand new they stay on pretty well, but after a while they fly off after 2-3 rounds. I think the spring gets worn that holds the light onto the rails.
Link

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got the M3 off tonight. Jammed a small flathead screwdriver in either of the "release" button holes, and applied pressure in the right direction. Then pulled for all my worth and it finally eeked it's way loose.

What a PITA. I wonder if it was caused the rail on the Glock, or by the mounting points on the light..... Hmm, I'll have to look in to that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts