How to claim ancestor's WWII medals / citations?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by psrumors, Nov 15, 2010.

  1. psrumors

    psrumors Well-Known Member

    I figure someone here will know.

    My great-uncle by marriage (my blood great-aunt's husband) was due the Purple Heart and ETO Ribbon with one bronze Service Star. As far as anyone knows he never received the actual medal & ribbon. I have his discharge papers.

    Can I receive these on his behalf?
  2. RIA45

    RIA45 New Member

    I beleive so. The easy way to find out is call the local VFW office. I recently asked for my dads Vietnam records and medals. They ask your relationship and I think as long as your kin you can ask for them. I could be wrong. I can get the number to our office if you don't have an office there.