How to Change Address oncelicense is issued (Dekalb)?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by R.A.N.G.E.R, Mar 22, 2018.

1. R.A.N.G.E.R

R.A.N.G.E.R New Member

I applied Dec. 1, 2017 and received the license in mid-March, a little over 100 days. I called the court once which they said to do if it took longer than 80 days, and, after a 20 minute hold time they told me it would be part of the next batch sent out. I guess it was.

In the meantime, I’ve moved, still in Dekalb though. I’d like to have the permit reissued with my correct address but I haven’t found any helpful info online, just a form from Cherokee County. This has to happen often enough that there’s a normal procedure.

What to do?

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Get your DL changed to your new address then go to the probate court and get the GWCL address changed.

3. Wheedle

Wheedle Member

Do you go to the courthouse in the new county, or the old? We are closing on a new home in another county Mar30.

R.A.N.G.E.R likes this.
  4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I would go to the new county first. I have not moved in 25 years so I have personally not been through this. I think there is a minimal cost involved with the change but a check with the probate court would answer that question.

R.A.N.G.E.R likes this.
  5. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

It isn't a requirement to have it reissued with a correct address, so many (my self included) don't worry about it. That is probably why you're having trouble finding the process. There is no law saying it has to be done, so nobody came up with a process. I also moved within my county and mine still has my old address.

R.A.N.G.E.R likes this.
  6. R.A.N.G.E.R

R.A.N.G.E.R New Member

Thanks, that’s heartening. Thought I might be aging out of the internet, hah. Want to stay legal and all. I haven’t changed address in ~45 years! Amazing how fast the advertisers found me. Shoot, my bankers knew my address almost before I did. Worth the effort though: the city places are all filling up, going vertical even. Stops being paradise when the world finds it. <— a worthy signature line!

7. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Unless you have a hankerin' to spend money needlessly, don't bother changing the address on the GWL.
    Your driving license has an address on it because they need to know where to send the tickets for any traffic infraction. The GWL has one because "that's the way we've always done it". The GWL doesn't really do anything except point to a manila folder in the County Probate Court's office.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would not bother. Why deal with DeKalb government employees more than necessary? Glutton for punishment? I never show my license to carry to anybody, including a police officer a few years back who then called for backup and had two more officers show up. I refused again and the three of them together did not force the issue. I just do not see the need to update the address. It is good for five years even if you move out of state. I would not want to even try to convince the DeKalb probate judge to update my address with one in, say, Oregon or Alaska.

It is just a card in my wallet with no real use to me. I keep it updated (I just renewed), but I would not bother changing the address. Use that time you would waste to earn more money or learn a little of a foreign language or some information on how to save some money on taxes by choosing investment vehicles that avoid them . . . you only get so much time on this earth. I want to spend as little of it as possible dealing with incompetence and mediocracy, that is, unless somebody is paying me a lot of money to deal with mediocracy and incompetence for them, which I do quite frequently and tend to enjoy.