How to buy from out-of-state individual?

Discussion in 'How to' started by ahlongslide, Nov 2, 2007.

1. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

I searched and could not find:

My friend just bought a Sig 226 from an individual in PA but it has yet to be shipped because all of the local FFLs in GA claim that it has to go from an FFL to them.

I thought a 3 year old could ship a firearm to an FFL out-of-state!

Question: Does the seller in PA need to take the Sig to his local FFL just to ship it to my friend's local FFL in GA?

Seems homosuspicious.

Thanks!

:D

2. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

BATF website says:

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)

Is there a GA law prohibiting it?

3. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Yes, he can ship it directly, assuming the FFL here will accept it. There are some shipping requirements, he will have to use UPS or Fedex and I believe it has to be overnighted. (Maybe 2nd day air, I can't remember for sure, but not ground). Cannot use USPS unless FFL to FFL. I have also heard some FFL's will accept a transfer from an individual and some will not.

I am not an FFL or an expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong or left out something.

4. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

The pistol does not have to be shipped from a FFL holder, by law. However, some FFLs will not accept from individual non-FFL holders as a matter of preference. Others actually think that is the law.

So, to answer your question.....keep looking. You will eventually find a GA FFL who will accept it. Ask cdtracing (member here), he has a FFL. Clyde Armory in Athens/Bogart will accept from individuals. They received my shotgun for me from an indy in MN recently.

5. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

Thanks guys!

That is what I thought, and it's what I told my friend.

I started this in the "How-to" forum with the hopes we could turn it from a useless question into a How-to buy firearms over the internet from out-of-state individuals.

These FFLs thought that it was the law. It's sad when others know more about your license than you do. :roll:

6. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I tried to look this up on the USPS site the other day to check into shipping my G22 to a potential buyer but could not find it. I think FedEx and UPS are the ones that require overnight or 2nd day, that is if you actually tell them it is a firearm. :lol:

If anyone can find any regs on the carriers website, please post here with links. This would be of great benefit to us all.

Thanks.

7. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

I had researched it when sending my slide into Robar and remember something on the USPS website prohibiting the shipment of firearms without an FFL. You can send everything besides the frame or receiver on most firearms via USPS. I'll look for the site/cite.

8. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

http://http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

He said she said.

9. NGIB

NGIB Grumpy Old Man

Contact Chris (cdtracing) as I know he'll receive from an individual. A private party must us UPS or FEDEX and they'll require it be sent overnight. A lot of the FFLs in town will not accept from a private party so be sure to check...