Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just a Man
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say that this was a disturbing read.

How the DEA Harasses Amtrak Passengers
A mathematician describes how his rights were apparently violated during a trip to Washington, D.C.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/05/how-the-dea-harasses-amtrak-passengers/393230/

For decades, law enforcement has tried to intercept drug couriers on Amtrak trains. These efforts have utterly failed to stop the easy availability of marijuana, cocaine, and other narcotics. Meanwhile they’ve violated the rights of countless Americans. Earlier this week, I highlighted the story of Joseph Rivers, a 22-year old black man who left his hometown in hopes of becoming a music-video producer. En route to L.A., the DEA boarded his Amtrak and seized his life savings, $16,000 in cash, even though there was apparently no evidence he’d committed a crime or possessed any drugs.
Forced to leave his room, he walked toward the dining car. En route another DEA agent tried to get him to step off the train where other law-enforcement officers were gathered. Heuser worried that if he got off the train they might not allow him back on before it left. “I asked if I was under arrest, and if I were free to go, then started walking to the dining car,†Heuser said. “The officer followed me, telling me that they know I am transporting drugs, and if I have any for personal use, they do not care, and it would be easier if I just told them. I said that was nice to know, then kept walking.â€

Then a DEA agent lied in an attempt to gain permission to search the room.

“He told me that his partner could tell someone was hiding in my bathroom and wanted to check if anyone was in there,†Heuser recalls. “I told them that no police are allowed to enter, but if the conductor wants to enter and let them know that there is no one in the bathroom, it would be okay.†Minutes later, while Heuser was on his way back to his room, a DEA agent looked him in the eye and said, "You Oregonians may think that the green leafy stuff is harmless, but I know from my job that it kills people every day."

·
Registered
14,952 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Policing for profit makes thieves out of cops. The ones who do it know it...and don't give a damn.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
http://www.dea.gov/about/history/staffing.shtml

Nearly $3 billion a year... that's a lot of health care the poor homeless starving school children aren't getting.
Right, go after the tiny little Amtrak rather than the 200 times larger DoD. Of course, you go after the smallest budget items first to make the biggest cuts.
The budgets of non-Constitutional agencies and departments would put a nice dent in the country's annual budget.
Yea, the same kind of dent one grain of sand makes on a car going 5mph.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Originally Posted by moe mensale
The budgets of non-Constitutional agencies and departments would put a nice dent in the country's annual budget
Right, go after the tiny little Amtrak rather than the 200 times larger DoD. Of course, you go after the smallest budget items first to make the biggest cuts.

Yea, the same kind of dent one grain of sand makes on a car going 5mph.
Wrong. A budget that only funded programs and agencies that are permissible under the Constitution would put quite a large dent in the US's spending.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts