How old......

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by dwalker, Oct 16, 2007.

1. dwalker

dwalker New Member

Would your child have to be to alllow them to shoot a pistol? I have a 8 year old and my father-in-law actually got him started shooting a 22 rifle, he loads one shot at a time...and let me tell ya, the boy is one helluva shot with it! Anyway, I was thinking somewhere around 13 or so, under close supervision, and probably one round at a time. I want to educate my kids about guns and gun safety. I want them to be responsible and cautious when around firearms and at least lead them in the direction of arming themselves when they get old enough if they so choose. What are your thoughts on the age, and how old were your children when you let them shoot? Not sure if I posted this in the right place, but thanks!

edited to add:I say 13 unless the kid is a delinquent, then I don't know if I'd ever hand him a gun....lol

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=132

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I've taught my 13 and 14 year old sons to shoot my 9MM when they were 12 & 13. Of course its at an established range (per MP's post above). Both do pretty good with it. At the end of our range time I let them get in some gangsta style shooting.

4. dwalker

dwalker New Member

Glad to hear I was thinking about the right age. Thanks for the replies!

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They can also tote it on land owned by you or their grandparents. They can also tote holstered pistols all over your house with your permission for the purpose of exercising the right of self defense. I am not exactly sure why they needed to put this in two separate subparagraphs, but there you are.

Also while hunting and fishing and travelling to or from (open carry only).

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My daughter was 10 when I taught her to shoot. She shoots my .22 rifle and her two .177 air pistols. I let her shoot my 9mm's, but she didn't like them. She said that they kick too much and the boom scared her. Maybe in another year or two she'll like them more.

7. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

I think I was about nine when I shot my first pump-action .22. Then I fired a 1911, and thought it was a cannon. Most of my younger shooting was done with dad's old Model 10, though.

8. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

It all depends upon the maturaty of the child. I had my son start shooting both a rifle and pistol when he was 8. He just turned 11 last week and can handle a suppressed G19 quite well. Well enough to put 13 out of 15 center mass at 7 yards. He can also handle his single shot 22 and my AR-15 quite well. I haven't let him go for the colt 1911 yet. It has a pretty snappy recoil. I been thinking about getting a walther p22 for him.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I was about 11 or 12 when I started shooting. I haven't done much shooting from then until now, though. Now I don't know what not owning guns is like (and intend on keeping it that way).

10. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I shot my first firearm at around 8 or so. It was a .22 rifle my great-grandfather had and once I showed I knew how to use it and understood firearms safety no one had any problems with me taking it out to hunt squirrels with.

I don't think I shot my first handgun until I was around 11. My dad tried showing my younger brother, who was 8 at the time, how to shoot his .38 revolver, but my brother exercised poor control of the firearm and dad (who was standing immediately behind him the entire time) took the firearm away and said he could shoot it when he got a little older.

So, for me at least ... 8 on a rifle. Sometime around 10 on a 410. And around 11 on a handgun. I had a BB gun well before 8 years of age and was taught to treat it like any other firearm. I didn't own my own personal firearm until I was 13 when I received a 870 Remington 20 gauge for Christmas.

If I had kids, I would probably follow some sort of similar timeline. Its really just based on the kid though and how well they handle things like BB guns, in my opinion.

11. fallison

fallison Guest

My 8 year old regularly shoots my XD 45 (he doesn't care for his mom's Kel-Tec 9). My two yearold has sat in my lap and helped me shoot the High Standard 22 revolver I inherited from my dad and loves every minute of it. If safety is stressed first and always, I don't think they can be started too early.

12. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I would have to say it would depend on the kids’ maturity level and their actual size. They need to have the mental capacity to know what they are doing and the ability to be able to control the firearm weather it be a rifle or handgun.

I work with some people I would not trust with a staple gun. :shakehead:

13. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

I was shooting my grandpa's 22 revolver at 8 yrs old in the back yard shooting paper plates.

14. Claire

Claire New Member

i had my son at the range at about 5 or 6 yrs old
    he was only allowed to shoot the 22 bolt rifle
    but
    ninja turtles, plastic milks jugs & baseball cards didn't stand a chance ;)

[​IMG]

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Claire, what range is that in the picture?

16. Claire

Claire New Member

Morrisville, PA

my son was 5 or 6 in that pic - he's now 24 yrs old

I wish there was a range like that near my house now.

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh, ok. Yea, that's a bit of a drive for me, but it does look like a fun place. :D

18. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

My daughter is 3 (she'll be 4 in Nov), and I let her shoot my old Crossman BB gun in backyard. Her arms are not long enough for my .22 rifle.

19. cripple

cripple New Member

My 13 year old son has just started to shoot in IPSC. He started shooting a .22 around 8 but has gotten really serious over the past 2 years.

20. merlock

merlock Active Member

+1