Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how many rounds you feel you need to have through a weapon before you consider it good to go for carry purposes?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Personally, 200-250. That's draw and fire practice, not just static hole punching, with several mag-dumps back to back, and no real cleaning or service beyond a cursory glance and a quick wipe-down in between range trips.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No matter what the weapon, keep practicing. There is not a magical number, just how well you shoot.
I have no doubts about my shooting. My question was when you feel you can rely upon a new weapon. For me its around 500 trouble free rounds, through several magazines, and including at least 50 carry rounds.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,600 Posts
Well... I've carried guns I've NEVER fired. Carried them from the day I bought them until the day I got to the range to try them out a few weeks later.
(I don't recommend this, though).
I've carried guns that I've only shot one time, one range session with 50-100 rounds down the pipe.
But I only carry FMJ in semi's until I actually test them with at least 25 hollow points of the same shape and bullet profile that I will use for defensive carry.

That's one of the reasons I tend to avoid the $1-per-round premium defensive hollowpoint ammo. It's too expensive to burn up in quantity at the range making sure your gun likes it and shoots it to point-of-aim on the sights.

I prefer JHP ammo that you can buy in boxes of 50 rounds for something like $18, which is reasonable. I'll shoot at least 30, more likely 50, of those before I carry them in my gun for defense.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
For me, about 24. If I believe that I would need more than that, I would carry a rifle. At that point I would try to not go to that place.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
myGunsToo, I think you missed the point of the O.P.

The question is, how much testing of a new (to you) gun do you feel is necessary (not desirable; not in an ideal world) to run though a gun before you can say, with confidence, that you'll bet your life on this gun functioning in an emergency?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
That happens when I don't have my cup of coffee. Revising my answer, about 200 FMJ and one box of what ever carry ammo I plan to use while alternating the mags I plan to carry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts