How many firearms licences' are available in Ga.

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Country, May 17, 2006.

1. Country

Country New Member

I was told today by a police officer that I could not conceal carry with my Georgia Firearms License. He told me that I could only "open" carry in public and that I should not be caught with a concealed firearm while holding my Georgia Firearms License. Does the state of Ga. have two different permits or just one. Another thing... I was told at the probate court when I went to apply that there was not a Concealed Weapon Permit...only a Firearms Permit. Any help would be much appreciated ...Thanks

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

First the police officer is an idiot. :x A Georgia Firearms license allows you to open or conceal carry.
    That is the part of the law that specifically says that a Georgia Firearms License(which is the "license issued under Code Section 16-11-129") allows a person to conceal. In fact, a place is either off-limits or you can carry a firearm. It is your choice as to open or conceal carry in any place that is not off-limits.

Unless you count a security guard permit then their is only the one carry license.

The probate court is correct. Some states allow the concealed carrying of knives, asps, batons...etc which they call a concealed weapons permit. Georgia does not have that. Georgia's permit/license only allows firearms. Knives and anything else must be open carried.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Country, would you mind sharing with us where this officer works and who he is?

Was this an "official encounter" of some sort, or was he just shooting the breeze with you off duty?

This is a matter of some concern if there is some ignorant police officer out there who might arrest people for obeying the law!

:shakehead:

4. Country

Country New Member

Hey everybody, I appreciate the responses. The officer that told me this was a city of Griffin officer, on duty. That is in Spalding County, Ga. I went to the Magistrate & Probate courts today and was told the same thing, that I could not conceal the weapon in any form. If I carried in public, it had to be in an open manner. What the hell is going on???? I was under the impression that my permit would allow me to conceal. Oh well, who knows. Thanks again for the responses.

5. Malum Prohibitum

The Magistrate Court told you that!?! That is the court that would make a probable cause determination after you are arrested . . .

Was this the judge or just somebody who answered the phone?

6. Malum Prohibitum

Just for the sake of clarity - GS1 quoted the relevant law above. There are some occupational firearms licenses not relevant here. So, in plain English, here is my explanation.

There is only one license. It is called a "firearms license." It is issued by the county Probate Judge, not by the State of Georgia. It is good, however, anywhere in the State of Georgia.

The firearms license allows carry of a pistol outside of one's home, car, or place of business. The pistol may be carried openly or concealed.

There are some places off limits to carry.

I think that is as simple as I can make it.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Would you mind posting details as to these contacts (names, places, times, method of contact)?

I would like to provide them with some polite, helpful assistance on this matter.

If you feel more comfortable sending me a PM, that is fine, too.

8. devo1123

devo1123 New Member

Wow...

This has been going on for a long time, huh? It was probably way worse than this. GCO should open a chapter in every state. I'm sure you guys have already thought of this.

9. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Re: Wow...

There are similar organizations in most, and possibly all, other states. Some of them may even do the job as well as GCO. May....... I say. I'll even go so far as to say some of them may do a better job. I seriously doubt it, but I guess it's possible.

The more time I spend on this forum and meeting with other GCO members at our luncheons, informal shoots, etc., the more I truly appreciate the leadership of this group and the more thankful I am to them for starting it up just a couple of short years ago.

I'm not, by nature, a "joiner". There are very few organizations I would wish to join and even fewer that would have me. I'll bet I'm the only person here who's been kicked out of the Boy Scouts and the seminary! But, this is one group I'm glad I joined and even more glad they let me stay...

Speaking of luncheons, I'm anxiously awaiting notice of the upcoming winter one. (Hint! Hint! Hint!)