How long have you been carrying?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by glockgirl, May 31, 2007.

1. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I know many folks on here have eons of experience with firearms but how long have you actually been "carrying"? If you also want to say how long you have been working with firearms that would be cool too!

For me I started shooting in Jan 07 got my permit in May 07 so I am a greenhorn.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I shot all through my teenage years, then my Ex convinced me to see my guns when our daughter was born. I started shooting again about 2 years ago.

I applied for my GFL in Dec 05 and got it Mar 06. I've been carrying since last summer.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

4. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

1 1/4 years :)

Applied the day I turned 21

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I was waiting for someone to say that.

6. Axeman

Axeman New Member

GFL carrying: 8 years

Car carrying: 10 years

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Been shooting and handling firearms since I was eight (34 years). First open carried in AZ in 1986. Got my first CCW License in North Carolina in 1998. Got my GFL last July.

8. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I carried in the car, legal in Kentucky, almost 40 years ago. I received my GA GFL and started carrying on my person about a year ago. Now that I've done it for that length of time, I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Sorta like retirement... Wish I'd done that 40 years ago too!

Now that I carry on a regular basis, I've discovered it's much like wearing a seat belt. After you get used to doing it, you feel strange and unprotected when you don't.

Consequently, I think I'll be carrying up until the time the nursing home tells me I can no longer do so!

Assuming I remember what they told me...

Senility is cool... you make new friends every day!

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Got the GFL 8.25.06. Had it on my just about every day since.

10. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Had my GFL for just over 1 month.

12. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I grew up shooting having fired my first "real" gun when I was six. Until '99, most of my shooting was plinking with a .22lr although I had shotguns and pistols/revolvers. I went to the academy in January of '99 and have concentrated heavily in combat style pistol since then although I still love to shoot a .22lr, and I scare clay pigeons from time to time.

I got my GFL in '92, but I generally only kept a pistol in my vehicle and carried when out in the woods. Now I don't leave my house without being armed.

13. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I grew up hunting and plinking with various guns and when I entered the US Army in 1979 I really got into guns. Even though it was illegal I carried concealed in Germany, Croatia, Korea and all over the US. Once I retired from the Army I got heavily into handguns and CCW and have not looked back. So I guess I would say that I was serious starting in about 1989.

Started off with a Smith and Wesson 4045, got a 1911 and carried one variety of a 1911 or the other until 1996 and I purchased a Glock and started toting a G17 and a G23. Then I moved into the SIG world and carried them for about 3 years. Currently everything is one of the three, Glock, Wilson CQB 1911, or a SIG 226.

14. b8fish

b8fish New Member

No significant prior gun experience in prior 50 years (came from UK). Decided to go out and buy me my first gun Dec 2003; applied for GFL even before purchase of my Sig P239 9mm; received GFL in 4 months. Shot IPSC competition to learn how to use it; left it unloaded beside bed - I still wasn't sure that it wouldn't go out at night and shoot people. Didn't feel comfortable carrying until a year later then did it occasionally and self-consciously. Now I usually carry weekends -- not a lifestyle commitment yet. No longer self-conscious and frequently when I get home after outings with my wife and take off my cover garment she sees it and says "Oh we're you packing today?" - concealment must have worked.

Now up to 5 handguns, shotgun, .22 rifle (bought that 2 weeks ago) and my wife has a revolver and GFL. And my daughter and husband got their permit in NC following old Dad.

15. maddog

maddog New Member

BTW congrats GG on getting your GFL, it took long enough.

Only been carrying since Feb 07 when I got my GFL, but have been handling and shooting guns since around 1966, and have owned guns since 1969 when my folks got me a 20ga shotgun for Christmas.

16. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

I have been around guns since I was born. LOL! my dad is a gun nut too. Ive been carrying since the late 90s I got a CCW in AZ in 2000. I just got my CCW in NC. I am a Armament Systems Technican in the USAF basically I work on all kinds of firearms and weapons systems daily for the past 15 years. My job is interesting but I just want my pention at 20 and I am gone!

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Unless you're in an off-limits place and the cop doesn't know about the mil exemption... :evil: