How important is an AR chrome-lined chamber?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ChipM, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

For a rifle which will see occasional recreational use, but an owner who likes low maintenance, how important is a chrome-lined chamber on an AR?

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Don't allow the chamber to rust and there shouldn't be any problems. Chrome chambers are specified by the military to counter problems in rifles that get used HARD.

3. commodore_dude

commodore_dude Active Member

Every nice rifle (or at least upper) I looked at when I built my AR had a chrome-lined barrel. If you're looking for other nice features, I'd be surprised if you didn't end up with a chrome-lined barrel regardless.

4. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Oh, its super important. Without it, everything rusts shut and your bullets won't hit their targets. [/sarcasm]

What do you want from the rifle? That makes the difference in your question. Are you after accuracy or something tough enough for SHTF?

5. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Unless it's stainless, I have to have mine chromed. No chrome, no buy. Only cheap crap is not chromed.

6. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Target barrels aren't typically chromed...

Chrome does extend life, but at a slight loss to long range accuracy.

From what I've read:

Steel: Most accurate - shortest life
    Chromoly and other alloys: Right in the middle of accuracy and life
    Chrome lined: Least accurate, longest life

Of course the accuracy we're talking about could be .5 MOA difference (or less) among the materials (not that important to casual shooters).

If doing really long range and competitions you probably don't want a chrome lined barrel. If it's a plinker and a SHTF rifle then chrome would be desirable.