how good are Rossi Guns?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by vanguard, Oct 9, 2010.

1. vanguard

vanguard New Member

I need to get a carry gun soon, but I only have about $250.00 to spend, I can get a Rossi 38 special 3in bbl at academy new for $229.00. should I ? :?

2. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Not sure about the revolvers, but the lever guns are great.

Rossi doesn't have the lifetime warranty that Taurus has, though, so that might be something to consider.

3. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I have a 461 and love it. They do have a warranty now.

4. moga

moga New Member

I have a 90s model Rossi steel snubby that's a great shooter...One quarter sized hole at 7 yds without really trying. Have about 1000 rounds of over pressure 38s since she's been with me (range toy) and it the lockup is as solid as any smith 642 I've handled. The DA trigger is a little on the heavy side though and the fixed sights are....well, fixed sights. Other than that, fine little gun.

5. moga

moga New Member

The general consensus is that older Rossi guns imported by Interarms (pre-1997) are of a better quality than the newer ones. Although I can't explain what difference the importer makes in the quality of the guns unless the manufacturing process also underwent a change along with the switch in US importer. Having said that, it's still a hit or miss proposition of a larger margin than buying a S&W or Ruger but OTOH, your not spending Smith or Ruger $$$ either.

6. Match10

Match10 Active Member

My Grandfather, an expert gunsmith who died years ago, said they were not a quality firearm. However, since Taurus took them over.... I'm just saying! Probably not that bad!

7. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I was pretty sure about the warranty, so I looked. Turns out long guns, like the Rossi 92 that I have, only have the 1 year warranty, while the revolvers do have the lifetime warranty.

http://www.rossiusa.com/repair-policy.cfm

8. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I'm never going to badmouth a firearm that gets a round off against an assailant, nor badmouth a weapon that I have no experience with. A man uses what he can afford, and what he has confidence in. I would never try to "sell" somebody on something, or "dissuade" anybody from something I've never fired. You get what you can afford, and what suits you. I'll respect you for it, and most of the time you could probably outshoot me with anything you choose. :oops:

9. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY New Member

My wife purchased one 7+ years ago. I have shot it more than she has and I can say I have been pleased. Its been reliable and accurate. There is little to no aftermarket support such as grips and springs and Taurus can be difficult to deal with. I honestly doubt you would ever have to deal with them so you should be ok. I wouldnt hesitate to own one and I grew up on and own several 60's-80's S&W's.

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

A .38 spl. snub-nosed revolver is a gun you'll probably carry a lot and shoot a little.
    They're not fun toys to spend hours at the range with.
    I think Rossi is a decent choice for that role, if you're on a tight budget.
    Just make sure you check it out at the gun shop as thoroughly as you can before you buy it.
    Test the timing of the cylinder. Does it lock-up before the hammer gets to full cock (in single action mode)?
    Does the cylinder get locked up before or at the same time as the hammer is released and starts to fall in DA mode?
    Is the trigger pull easy enough to pull? If you were going to let a kid or a woman shoot the gun, is the trigger pull something they could manage too?

For what it's worth, I've seen two defective Rossi revolvers (older models, from the early 90s) that had to go back to the factory or importer. They both jammed up and failed to fire. The cylinder just stopped turning and got bound up.
    On the other hand, one of my favorite .357 wheelguns is a Rossi stainless steel 3" barreled model.

P.S. I know you didn't ask about other guns, but if I didn't have a carry pistol of any type right now and I had a $250 budget to get one, I'd look at a Kel-Tec 9mm, or the Bersa Thunder .380. I'd prefer 8 rounds to 5, and the flatness of a semi-auto conceales better than the fat cylinder of a revolver. Better sights, easier to find and line-up in a hurry too.

11. Going Postal

Going Postal New Member

I have owned three Rossi revolvers. I bought the first one in the mid 70's and I thought it was a good pistol for the money. I really liked those little 3 inch barreled .38s. I recently bought my Grandson one of the Rossi matched pair in .22/.410 and again, a lot of gun for the money. I wouldn't have any problem recommending Rossi and I want one of the Rossi Ranch Hand lever action "pistols".

12. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

why not buy a high point for 99$ and a holster for 30$ and some ammo and then you will have a gun you can carry while you save up for a new one or use as a truck/car gun later on??

13. vanguard

vanguard New Member

I may do that, I have owned 4 hi points and they are good guns :righton: but i can not find anyone that carries hi points around here for less than $169.00 new.

14. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Go post in the "wanted" section of Theoutdoorstrader.com. I bet someone there would sell you a Hi-Point for $100.

15. vanguard

vanguard New Member

thanks i saw that already , its 350 miles away