Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we are born free, the question isn't "How many laws do we need?" but "How few laws do we need"? What is the fewest number of laws free people need?

1. Do all you agree to do! (the basis for contract law)

2. Do not encroach upon other persons or thier property (the basis for criminal law)!

Someone posted this somewhere but I can't find it. Thought I wouold repost it. Delete if its old news.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I can narrow it down to one (1):

Don't infringe on the free will of others.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Melissa5 said:
Adam5 said:
God gave us 10.
+1 Recently, I was thinking about how much better the world would be if we all followed the ten commandments.
Man and a chisel. It's as simple as that.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I said LAWS not Commandments... :mrgreen: ...however, there are 613 commandments, not 10. All 613 fit into ten categories of which are otherwise known as the "Ten Commandments".

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
rankhornjp said:

That's some hippy stuff. What if their free will was to impose on you or others?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
Hock25 said:
rankhornjp said:

That's some hippy stuff. What if their free will was to impose on you or others?
If everyone was a Libertarian that would work. It truly would. But for one, its way too vague, bringing about more crazy decisions on what words mean from our corrupt Supreme Court. Then, exactly as Hock25 said, the far left liberals and the far right conservatives would want to infringe on certain rights of the other side. My problem is that when you have a Supreme Court that is willing to agree that yes equal no... then everything else is going to get really FUBAR in a short amount of time. It only took 140 years for our country to get completely FUBAR. It all started with Reconstruction, and then an FDR decision on the commerce clause and we see what we have today.

The one thing that will and should always remain a constant is that a free people should have the right to bear arms and not for the purpose of hunting and target practice. Its the last line of defense against a tyrannical government. Without the 2nd amendment, all rights will be usurped by government eventually, and I think Thomas Jefferson knew that, hence the 2nd amendment. Thank goodness Jefferson had such a mistrust for the government, or I don't think we would have gotten the 2nd amendment written so plainly.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
Didn't the first of the old Roman Law, back when they were a Republic, go something like, "There is no harm to him who agrees"?

It seemed to work for a few centuries until the Emperors took over and destroyed the Republic.
Seems to be a very similar story for the United States of America. We've lasted a little bit over two centuries. Hopefully, we can hold out longer than they did.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Melissa5 said:
Adam5 said:
God gave us 10.
+1 Recently, I was thinking about how much better the world would be if we all followed the ten commandments.
Which version of the 10? You know there are at least three, right?

And the first 3-5 (depending on version) basically apply to making sure you only one worship the "one, true god" and don't offend him by picking wheat on the sabbath (and which day is holy, Saturday or Sunday?) so they don't really do much good. You should NOT need stone tablets telling you not to kill, steal, or lie. I hope not, anyway.

The golden rule is perhaps better, but do you really need religion/deities to tell you to treat others like you want to be treated? It can be summed up in "don't be a jerk". If we all followed the law not be a jerk, the world would be a better place.

edit: George Carlin says 2, with a bonus law:
http://www.uctaa.net/articles/reflectio ... 14d06.html

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Hock25 said:
rankhornjp said:

HAHA! I've never been called a hippy!

As to your question: They would be breaking the law and should be punished for it.

Think about it: Murder, Robbery, rape, assault, etc. would ALL fall under this rule.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
rankhornjp said:
Hock25 said:
rankhornjp said:

As to your question: They would be breaking the law and should be punished for it.
Ah, I see. If exercising free will violates another's free will, then it's infringing their free will, which is a violation of said free-will-law. I meant "hippy" in the nicest way. :)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Hock25 said:
rankhornjp said:
Hock25 said:
rankhornjp said:

Ah, I see. If exercising free will violates another's free will, then it's infringing their free will, which is a violation of said free-will-law. I meant "hippy" in the nicest way. :)
You can do that??!! :screwy: :p :p :lol: :lol:

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Law # 1 Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

Law # 2 But out of other folks business.

Law # 3 If in doubt refer to # 1 & 2

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
rankhornjp said:
Hock25 said:
rankhornjp said:
Hock25 said:
rankhornjp said:

You can do that??!! :screwy: :p :p :lol: :lol:
I get you now...my free will to call you a hippy violated your free will to not be called a hippy, so I broke the law. Obviously, you're no hippy. Beatnick, maybe, but no hippy! :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts