How does your spouse/SO feel about your views on guns, etc.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by foshizzle, Apr 10, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I doubt each and every one of you found a Libertarian, pistol-packing Annie Oakley or Chuck Norris (for the women), spouse or significant other. I'm not saying you are all Libertarian (although you are probably pistol packing)... so... how do your beliefs on gun rights and politics compare, or not compare with your better half? Do you agree on everything... disagree on most things? Come to a comfortable middle ground? A not-so comfortable ground? Shots fired? :shock:

My beliefs aren't radical, but they're usually to the right of my SO. I try to avoid polarizing topics and, instead of arguing with her, I come here, hannity.com or one of 10 other message boards I moan and groan on. She supports me carrying a gun, but doesn't support me stockpiling for WW3. She understands my fear of the government, but she doesn't support lining our residence with tin-foil or getting a 3 month supply of beef stew. She supports my political stance but I don't think she'll ever vote. I think I'm pretty lucky that there are so many "supports" and "understands" in there. I still can't get my way 100% though :?

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Not sure, let's look at what the evidence would say.

1. She works as a bookkeeper for a gunstore.

2. She is an active member of our Friends of NRA Committee.

3. She has her GFL and carries whenever possible.

4. She attended tonights Lee County Commissioners meeting to show her support of GCO and proudly wore a GCO "Guns Save Lives" button.

5. She has been bugging me to get her a twenty gauge over/under for skeet shooting.

6. She outshoots a lot of my buddies on the range.

7. She tells all her friends that they should join the NRA no matter if they own guns or not.

8. She stole my Bersa Thunder .380 when she got her GFL.

hmmmm.... 1 through 7 had me thinking she supported my addiction to shooting but number 8 makes me think that it's all a cover up and she is really a gun grabber in disquise. Gonna have to keep an eye on her!

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

About my wife,

1. It's okay for me to have guns.
    2. She wants them in the safe at all times (we have 9, 13, 14 year old boys at home)
    3. She doesn't know that I carry, but she does know that I have a license.
    4. She doesn't want to shoot any of them, but she has gone to watch me and the boys shoot.
    5. We don't talk about guns and she doesn't read American Rifleman when it comes.

Basically, she's indifferent about them. I guess that good, at least she doesn't object.

4. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

My wife has become almost anti over the last 2 years!

Before that she tolerated my hobby and even used to tag along with the whole family (we have 8 children). The youngest 2 (15/9) have been somewhat brainwashed and have never been shooting with the rest of us!

5. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Well, when I got home last night my wife was in the recliner with my G19 sitting on the armrest. :)

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

My wife over the last few years has seen the light. She enjoys shooting clays, thinks its great dad/daughter time when my eldest goes to pull for me, and always check to make sure I'm equipped when I depart for a trip. She will not be alone without one handy.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That wasn't because you came came home smelling like cheap perfume and bourbon again, was it?

8. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

My wife is great! :righton:
    She has her GFL and sometimes carries.
    She loves going target shooting and outshoots most of my friends!! :shoot:
    She's looking for a new carry gun.
    She likes that I carry when I can (legally).
    She's a member of the NRA but doesn't like all the emails/direct mail! :)

Even got her to shoot my bow and arrow a few months ago and she loved it!

I guess I'll keep buying her more shoes!! :wink:

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My wife is supportive of my hobby. She has a Springfield XD-9 Tactical that she's pretty good with, and loves to shoot my Ruger MKIII .22. She doesn't shoot as much as I do, only about once every 4-6 weeks. She supports and my competing and has been to a few competitions with me. She has talked about getting her GFL, but has not yet applied. She likes the fact that I carry whenever possible (except at her cousins wedding ceremony). Her two complaints are that I'm "obsessed" and talk too much about guns, gun laws, and gun websites, and that I buy/sell/trade too often. When she complains about the money I spend, I justy bring up the latest aquisition to her Coach bag collection (yes, each one MUST have the matching wallet, ID holder, and business card case), and she stops complaining. Overall I can't complain.

10. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Easy fix....

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?

A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

11. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Thanks for the info! I'll do that ASAP.

12. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Adam5 I can see that perhaps you have rubbed shoulders with USMC in the past! :shock: Since she was home by herself, she was just making sure she was ready if need be. 8)

13. Sharky

Sharky New Member

MIne is very open to the idea. Once she moved here and saw things differently she is very glad I am responsible enough to protect us.

She has no intent on shooting herself, but is open to learn how to shoot mine in the event she has to use it. When I am not within a few feet of it;)

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That 15 year old ought to be spending some time with Dad shooting. Even the nine year old is probably old enough to do a little shooting.

As for the wife, I suggest you send her to a shooting class that is restricted to women only. If you look around, I am sure you can find one. It might help!

15. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Politically we are both Republicans. I am a good deal right of her as she is more of a moderate as I lean more to the conservative side.

My wife supports my choice to carry. She supports gun rights but she is not the type to go out and go shooting with me. (She would rather go shopping if you get my drift!) She has shot my 9mm and .22 a couple of times. She insists that we keep all firearms that are not being carried on my person be locked away because we have a very curious three year old boy. Overall we are on the same page....she just doesn't share my fanaticalism over guns.

16. Taler

Taler New Member

Tyger, my better half, is great, and pragmatic.

Her personal piece is a Beretta in .380, however, she's comfortable shooting just about anything up to my single action revolver in .44 mag. This is good, since she doesn't really "carry" while in the house, though she is within a couple of steps of some real stopping power if needed.

As some of you know, my wife is a small woman, and believes very strongly in her right to defend herself. She sometimes says "Colt was right", and it's hard to argue with her.

Occasioanlly, when at the range, after she's shot a series of double-taps and mozambiques, she'll reserve her last target for "art". She "paints" a fifteen hole smiley face on the target. (No, not at rapid fire, but still...) Kids who've seen it seem to get a kick out of it.

17. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

My wife is pretty much not interested in politics. Yet. While being rather mature in many ways & having been so for far longer than most folks her age (26) she is what I consider right on par for the average person. From my experience and from what I have observed around me most people don't really start thinking too seriously about politics & rights & things until they get into their 30's.

With that said, we are on the same page for the most part politically. For now she takes my advice when it comes time to vote & she just asks who I'm voting for and agrees to do the same. :)

On guns though, well I've only started carrying in the last 6 months. She was unhappy that I spent money on a gun when we had lots of other things to think about (new house) but she didn't scream too loudly. She has forced me into a promise to not carry when we have a kid. That probably isn't going to last for too long however. I just plan on having a nice safe & making sure verything is all locked up if it's not on my hip. I figure she won't be able to argue too much if I am 100% consistent about that until potential kid is old enough to start teaching about guns & shooting with me. She has shot with me a few times & seems to enjoy it. I know that if I ever get off my arse & do some more to make it fun - get some nice .22 targets & some steal plates & other things that move & pop up etc etc then she would likely enjoy it even more. She is a good shot the few times she has gone out with me. I guess I'd rate the situation as a 6 or 7. It's not really bad but there is lots of room for improvement. One of these days I'm going to get her into meeting some other women that shoot & enjoy it & we will see where that goes.

18. rajl

rajl New Member

I'm a single bachelor, so I'm stockpiling both ammo and guns now against the possibility of a dark day matrimony. :wink:

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think she has a very good point on the first one. I don't get the second one. Carry is for the protection of the kid!

20. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'm free.

No one tells me what to do.