How Do You Carry

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by Nemo, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

and why that way?

Nemo

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/07/fate-self-defense-ready-not/

2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

If I have time to pull my knife, I have time to pull my pistol. With that said, in the situation described in the story, the pistol may have been a bad choice anyway if there was no way to get a clean shot or two off without risking the other dog, child or other bystanders.

If it was me and I had pulled a knife, it would be bad news for the dogs as I generally carry only fixed blade knives.

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with your thoughts. Pull a gun. Pull a knife. Roughly the same time frame. But in this case too many collateral bodies around and very quick moving targets. I always carry an auto knife and I probably would have deployed it. But opened, not closed.

4. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

J&J thumb snap holster on the belt right side either OC or CC . Closed blade in right pocket. Another surprise in undisclosed location. I like a belt holster. I like a thumb release. Would prefer open blade but feel better with closed.
    No way you are going to be 100% prepared for every situation. When out and about I do try to be aware of things around me but you can't be aware of it all. When trouble comes use what you got,what you know and what you have trained for. Does not hurt to set around sometimes and think about what you would do in different situations like the dog mess noted in the article. Bad things happen fast.

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Two methods depending on situation. Can NOT print at work.

IWB hybrid, strong side, 3:30, with sheath for 2nd mag on weak side as a balance.

Pocket carry, strong side front pocket.

Situational awareness has gotten me out of an unknown number of bad situations over the years.

6. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

That

7. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Right there with you brother. I do add a second mag in a knife pouch (well fitted), vertical across the outside of the pocket holster to break up the "pistol" outline.
    I can carry a Leatherman Surge multi-tool on a belt pouch on my off-side pretty much everywhere. Since I am the known "handy-person" and I am deliberately slow when deploying the tool I can get away with it since nobody perceives it as a weapon. Opening the wrong blade by "mistake" half the time also helps maintain the illusion of harmlessness. In reality I can find and open any blade I need nearly instantly by feel in total darkness with either hand.
    On my own time, I don't really care. Usually IWB 5:30 or so with a full-sided pistol and a spare mag in the right front pocket because I am used to about that weight there. See it or not, Meh.

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

BE894035-EA04-4ADC-9C43-8F40D0749682.jpeg I've been pocket-carrying a .38 snubby for years. In the summer it's usually been in my pocket (in a thin Uncle Mike's pocket holster).

In the fall and winter , when I have a cover garment, that same .38 goes in a holster on my belt.

Recently, I considered getting a very small and thin 9 mm with a single stack magazine as a replacement for this 38 snobby, but I'm still undecided about that because I already own a compact 9 mm that uses a 12 round magazine, and as far as length and height goes it's not any bigger than the ultra-compact 9 mm guns.

So, should I acquire a new handgun just to save 2/10 of an inch in thickness, and save absolutely nothing when it comes to the height of the gun or the overall length?

Since I don't think such a semi-auto weapon would be significantly easier to pocket carry than my current compact 9mm, my answer has been "no."

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would have bitten the dogs. That'll teach 'em.

Bullets likes this.
  10. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Untucked t shirt over OWB in summer. Sweat top/zip up fleeece, or jacket over OWB in winter. Don't care about printing or barrel/slide showing, but never been an oc'er.

11. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Open OWB unless cold weather causes me to wear a jacket or coat that covers it.

12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

That's racist. Or terroristic. Or something. It must be.

Bullets likes this.
  13. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Nope just sounds downright mean to me, poor dogs

14. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Oc strongside 357 snubbie most of the time anything else is my business

15. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Oh yeah because it works for me

16. Bullets

Bullets Member

Where to start?
    I carry appendix.
    I practice my draw at home (wife rolls eyes) and at the range. My goal is sub 1 sec to on target shot at 7 yards. Find as I get older that sub 1 sec is almost impossible now but I continue to practice and I'm still happy with I'm just over a second.
    I would like to say I'm always practicing situational awareness and on alert. But you can't live that way, you'll lose your mind in my opinion being that amped up all the time.
    Personally, I would have drawn my pistol. I would not shoot to save the other dog, only person and only if I could do so safely and probably only if point blank range. I'm sitting in a lazy boy typing this, not in the heat of the moment. You do the best you can in the moment.

Last thought. Why is it always pitbulls? I swear, most people couldn't identify one but if its a dog acting aggressive "its a pitbull". Yeah I own one. Seriously, I didn't do anything special raising him and he's literally the sweetest most calm dog I've owned without an once of aggression. I mean I'm at times concerned he might not even protect the family if something bad happened.
    Just saying... sorry for the detour.

17. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

18. Bullets

Bullets Member

Oh wow! I'm going to try and be really nice about this because that site is known to be run by one person who's been proven a liar.
    The person behind that website, Colleen Lynn from Colorado, is a victim of a dog bite she claimed was a pitbull. I'm sure it was a terrifying thing that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Colleen then went on a vendetta of attempting to ban dogs based on breed through any means necessary. Her site has been cited several times for inaccurate information and for censoring of comments that attempt to correct her poor data. To call her data poor would be as misleading as her data itself. Colleen is known to group almost any breed as "pitbull" so that it fits her narrative. Most commonly she groups Boxers, Bulldogs and Mastiffs as "pitbulls" so she can stack her data in her favor to try and bring about breed specific ban legislation.

I believe if there was a breed which can be documented through data to be aggressive, such as Colleen wants people to believe, the experts in canine/human interaction would stand with her in her fight. Yet they don't. And make no mistake, every single mainstream national organization is opposed to Collen's beliefs and any Breed Specific Banning (American Dog Owners Association, American Humane, American Kennel Club (AKC), American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), American Working Dog Federation, ETC....). NONE of the experts agree, not one, and they represent the best of the best in dog training. Let me say that again, the best of the best disagree. Don't believe me? Go here and there's a link to each ones public statements on it: https://stopbsl.org/bsloverview/the-lack-of-professional-support/

Dogbite.org is the only organization in favor of banning pitbulls and is willing to lie and cover up to support their objective. Again, no professionals in canine/human interaction agree with dogbite.org or her data.

"Not listening to the professional organizations and instead listening to an "organization" that has no expertise, can lead to bad results. Again, their focus is not in the best interests of public safety...it's about getting revenge." -B.Toellner

Sorry, Zetor but I disagree with your beliefs and so do all of the professionals on the topic.

19. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States_(2000s)

Seems pit bull is mentioned more than other breeds. Maybe this is all lies too, but after about 2004 there is a definite pattern in the reports. They may be the assault rifle of the dog world when it comes to reporting. No I'm not a professional. I can say that I've had more problems with pit bulls (I don't know if they were AKC registered). The other percentage may have been the cause of the aggression, but dogs that look like pit bulls are the ones that give me the most trouble. I've walked onto personal property 12-14 times per day for the last 13 years as part of my job. Trouble means not being able to do a job because of a sincere belief that I'll be maimed if I continue. I get nipped at by lap dogs all the time....kick them and they go away.

20. Bullets

Bullets Member

Brother, I get it. I didn't mean to get all "pitbull" on ya! (see what I did there :lol:)
    There are several owners of pits that just want a hipster image of owning one and so they neglect and raise them in an environment that would make any dog aggressive. In the 70's it was Dobermans, in the 80's German Shepards, in the 90's it was Rottweilers, and now its Pitbulls.
    Funny thing is all the previous dogs are larger and have a higher PSI bite than a pit. But I guess since the internet, lies spread fast and everyone thinks pits bite harder, have "lock jaws", and are by breed aggressive. No such thing by the way (lock jaw). There's actually only one thing that pits have that the others don't, which is why they fight them. The Bulldog and Terrier in a pit make them have an undying determination to do what their owner wants. Want it to pull something or chase something, it will do it until you stop. Want it to fight, it will fight until its dead. Its that determination that dog fighters like and why they use them. It's terrible that they've turned what can be a trait used to undyingly protect your kids into a gladiator for entertainment. Look'em up, there's a reason they used to refer to pits as nanny dogs or babysitters.