How do you break in a leather IWB?

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by lsu_nonleg, Sep 15, 2007.

1. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

I know, Larry, wear it!
    Is there any way to accelerate the process? I've got a K&D IWB that I just started wearing IWB with a full size 1911. I ratchet down the ole belt to the point where it just doesn't go any farther. However, it's not enough force in the right direction to cause the posterior "flap" of the holster to conform to my hip. This of course causes the butt to protrude away from my body, etc.

Is there anything I can do to temporarily soften up specific parts of the holster so they start conforming faster?

2. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I wouldn't put anything on it to weaken up the leather. Most FAQs I have read discourage doing anything to hasten the process of breaking in the leather.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Time will take care of it. If you use anything, I would recomend going to an equestrian supply store and getting saddle soap. It's made to soften and condition high end leather without damaging it.

4. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

I figured saddle soap like with a boot, but my boots have never been as thick as the holster. It seems like it would be ineffective.

5. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

My leather OWB still squeaks like a mother when I wear it. After talking to several LE detective/investigator types who carry the same holster, it takes about 3 months of hard, on-duty wear to get it completely broken it.

6. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Buy some KG9 Leather Kote http://www.kgcoatings.com/firearms.html#9 use only a very small amount inside the leather holster. It will not soften the leather or make it loose it's shape, but the gun will come in and out like it was riding on ball bearings.

We call it Gorilla Snot.