How do u chose the right Rifle scopes and Crossbow scopes

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by jason1, Oct 30, 2007.

1. jason1

jason1 New Member

I was hoping one of you guys could tell me what is the best highpower scope for a 30-06 Woodsmaster that under a hundred dollars.I also would like to put a suitable scope on my crossbow and what is the best one on the market that is under a hundred bucks.I just don't know about the scope power thing.Say I was shoot something at 300-350 yard what wold be the best scope at those yards.

I'm plan on killing Bambi and become a member of {people eat tasty animals} club or better known as PETA. :lol:

2. SamTay04

SamTay04 New Member

I would be looking for a variable power scope that at least went up to 9 or maybe 12 if I thought I might be taking a shot out to 250 or 300 yards. You have lots of options under for under $100.

Check out midwayusa.com or something similar. I've never ordered anything from midway so I can't vouch for the site its self but at least you can browse through some cheap scopes and see what you options are.

I've got a matte black 3-9x40 from Konus on a 10/22 that was under $100 dollars. It's pretty nice. I think it was about $70.

Simmons, Tasco, Busnell, and BSA are some other companies that make models for under 100.

If you can stretch your budget a little bit I would suggest a Nikon Prostaff. If you shoped around you could probably get one for about $150 or possibly cheaper. You could also look into trying to get a factory refurbished scope and maybe get a nicer scope but still stay within your budget.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

With scopes, you tend to get what you pay for. Odds have it that you'd be spending that <$100 more times than if you bought a more expensive scope.

Here's a site you can look at:

www.opticsplanet.net

There are several other sites out there; you just have to read and decide what's best for you. Most of the sites have reviews. There are also forums dedicated to optics.

Here's a hunting forum site that you can ask the question on:

http://forum.gon.com

I'd search first because I think I've seen topics about it in the past.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

If you are just using it for hunting buy a Simmmons 3x9 with a 40 mm lens and have fun.

You do get what you pay for, but I hunted for years with one of these, and I could see in low light what I could not see with the naked eye, and I never missed a shot.

I even competed in a long range rifle competition.

Then I purchased a Leupold. I instantly placed number 4 first time out with no other change but the optics.

I use Leupold exclusively now.

With your budget, get the Simmons 3x9 with a 40 mm lens. I do not think you will regret it.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

purpose of scope

If all you want to do is kill the deer that you can see in front of you with your naked eyes, just about any fixed 4X scope (1" tube diameter, 40mm objective lens up front) will work fine. They should sell for $30-$50.
    I have one on my .308, and with match grade ammo it shoots minute-of-angle. The 4x magnification is what I'm used to from growing up shooting pellet guns and .22 rifles with 4x scopes.

The trouble with 4X scopes is that 4 power isn't enough magnification to tell what kind of a rack the deer has at a long distance, maybe 200-300 yards. If the deer is in the woods with leaves and sticks and weeds partially blocking your view, you might want a better quality and more powerful scope just to get a good look at that poor herbivore you're about to lower the boom on.

When I went deer hunting with my fixed 4X scope, I needed to bring a pair of binoculars. I'd use the binocs to find the target and identify it, and then I'd switch to the rifle with the low-power scope to make the shot. In retrospect, having a good scope that I could crank up to 9X or 12X would have been handy.

6. SamTay04

SamTay04 New Member

+1

Yeah, I used a .243 with a Simmons scope all through my teen years. There was definitely nothing wrong with it.

My dad has a .270 that has had the same Simmons scope on it for as long as I can remember and it still works fine and gets the job done.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I just traded away two Simmons scopes. They literally went out this morning. I didn't think to offer them. However, the other deal was finalized yesterday late, so I guess it wouldn't have helped much anyway. Oh well.

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

The rule of thumb for optics. Half the price of the rifle. So unless you have a $200 rifle you might want to spend more.

Also less is more. At hunting distances I prefer a lower powered scope. My favorite is a 1.5-5. Absolutely perfect for when the deer walks right under your stand and capable of any reasonable shot.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've got see through mounts and iron sights, so close up shots should be good to go with those. The scope is a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40, which was just under half the price of the rifle.