How bout a Hotel Lobby w/ bar?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Bulldawg182, May 16, 2007.

1. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Ok, how bout this one? Yesterday, I had a meeting at a Marriott Hotel in their corporate offices there. I entered the lobby cc and immediately noticed a bar located in the lobby. Of course, my first thoughts were DAMNED.....can't keep going, can't go back & leave it in the car! Our recent discussions here pertaining to "parking lots, public gatherings and serving alcohol came to mind.

So, I just kept on going and went on down the hallway to the corporate offices where I had to walk directly through some large corporate conference going on at the hotel. Of course it was lunch time and about 200 suits were "publicly gathering" in the convention area outside the meeting rooms.

I walked through them and attended my meeting before reversing course 45 minutes later through the same obstacles to my car.

Questions:

1. Was I legal or "under the radar" taking my chances?

2. What would the current law suggest I do in this situation? The only "legal" avenue was for me to go back to my car, drive all the way home and leave my gun there before returning 1 hour late.

3. Would the hotel fall under the "serving alcohol" prohibitions?

4. Did the corporate convention in the conference area of the main lobby of the hotel constitute a "public gathering"?

Your thoughts?

2. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

My question would be...

Does the hotel have a liquor License?

If not, then the hotel isn't selling alcohol for consumption on the premises.

I have been at a Hilton hotel that served beer and wine with the evening meal, that was complimentary, I didn't see a license displayed, but this was in Orlando FL, so the laws might be different.

3. qre2457

qre2457 New Member

That is interesting. Room service also offers alcohol by the drink to guests. Wouldn't that and the bar make the parking lot off limits?

4. Bulldawg182

While the above incident actually took place yesterday, it also very much illustrates the ridiculous nature of our gun laws here in Georgia. It's almost like they're meant to keep you confused about what's legal and what's not. I have no idea if I stepped over the legal line yesterday or was absolutely within it. I don't know if I was legal to be there, could have been asked to leave or could have been dragged out in cuffs!

I'm trying.....I really am.

5. Bulldawg182

Nope, it was a real bar serving alcohol for money but located under the hotel lobby roof.

6. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

So it was in the hotel, was it separated from the hotel by an entrance, and was it run by another business different from the hotel. I was in a hotel in Cali, that had a similar setup, it had a bistro next to the lobby, but it wasn't controlled/owned by the hotel. This would be similar to a bar in the mall, you would just be excluded from the bar.

7. Bulldawg182

There was an "archway" into the hotel lobby bar, but no doors. After looking at their website, the lobby bar is owned and operated by the hotel.

8. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

This is just another way for the gov to say you have the right but limit it so much that you really do not.

Ohio just started the no license for open carry and sounds great untill you read the fine print, to transport (without license) has to be unloaded in a area not accessable to the driver...... Hey you can carry without a permit but have fun figuring out how to transport in a pick up or mini van...

9. Bulldawg182

Well, that's not exactly what my pistol was lookin to do. I'd swear it was trying to find it's way up my a$#!!!!!!!! :oops: :lol: :roll:

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Every time I step into a bar I instinctively reach to my right side. Cause man.....if I didn't put that gun away I'd have shot everything in the place. The mere thought of a bar sends me into an uncontrollable rage. I guess that is just because I am in college and cannot be trusted with guns because of that enormous crack and heroin problem I have. But thanks to the Brady bunch I live my life one day at a time.

:roll: