How are the road conditions on I-20? Conyers to Alabama

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by BirdMan, Jan 10, 2011.

1. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

My wife's planning to drive out to Mississippi Tuesday morning, from Athens to Conyers, then I-20 the rest of the way. Do you guys think I-20 will be ok between Conyers and Alabama, or do you think it'll be too icy in the morning?

2. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

I wouldnt try it personally. 75 ans 285 are shut down by GDOT. I don't see I-20 being much different. That highway is bad w/o the ice . Personaly I wouldnt go.

3. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

The longer she can hold off tomorrow the better.

4. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

I20 is closed both directions on the East side and East bound on the west side of 285.

5. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

Well, I guess that settles that! Thanks, y'all. Hopefully she can come down on Wednesday instead.

You know, when I was a kid, I loved these snow days where everything got shut down. Nowadays, I'm just worried about road conditions and keeping schedules. I miss being a kid!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

7. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Who doesn't...

8. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

Thanks - good site. I'm a local, just no longer local - I moved out of GA last month. :-( Miss that state. I plan to hang around here a while longer.

9. krmbigmac

krmbigmac Active Member

My wife... :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cantsay:

10. krmbigmac

krmbigmac Active Member

Emphasis mine.
    Wish you the best...and a speedy recovery... :lol: . As an Athenian (OK...Athens area) ...wish we could have met sometime...From a BirdMan to another...WAR D4mn EAGLE!!! Is it Miss ST or 'Ole Miss....Choose wisely and do not ever leave!!!

11. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

Thanks; I wish I'd managed to form closer ties with the 2A community in Athens. They all seem like great guys. I just never seemed to find the right time to do it.

Starkville actually "kind of" reminds me of a conservative version of Athens from 20 years ago with worse roads.

12. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

My wife's still stranded in Athens (with family), so I was wondering if anyone has any more recent experience with I-20W conditions.

Looking like we've got to write off the week. Ugh.

13. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

Have her wait until after the morning rush and check. Right now it looks as though it's passable if caution is used but waiting until traffic and sun can do some melting from the over night refreeze may be a good choice.

14. auburnfan04

auburnfan04 New Member

I agree once traffic dies down she should be ok. 20 west Atlanta was not bad yesterday. Afternoon. But I would tell her to wait just a bit to make sure no other problems crept up after the extremely cold night we had last night.

15. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

My wife left this morning at 10AM out of Athens. She reported some ice here and there on I-20 through Atlanta and GA, but nothing too bad. She's still enroute in AL, but she says it's fine once you get that far along. Thanks for all your helpful advice, y'all!

16. D3R3K

D3R3K New Member

I was driving around earlier and things are in really good shape for the most part. Only troubled spots are low traffic shady areas.