Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's planning to drive out to Mississippi Tuesday morning, from Athens to Conyers, then I-20 the rest of the way. Do you guys think I-20 will be ok between Conyers and Alabama, or do you think it'll be too icy in the morning?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I wouldnt try it personally. 75 ans 285 are shut down by GDOT. I don't see I-20 being much different. That highway is bad w/o the ice . Personaly I wouldnt go.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
The longer she can hold off tomorrow the better.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,006 Posts
I20 is closed both directions on the East side and East bound on the west side of 285.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess that settles that! Thanks, y'all. Hopefully she can come down on Wednesday instead.

You know, when I was a kid, I loved these snow days where everything got shut down. Nowadays, I'm just worried about road conditions and keeping schedules. I miss being a kid!

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
BirdMan said:
RZMike said:
Since it doesn't appear your local, this website should keep ya updated :D

http://www.georgia-navigator.com/closures
Thanks - good site. I'm a local, just no longer local - I moved out of GA last month. :-( Miss that state. I plan to hang around here a while longer.
Emphasis mine.
Wish you the best...and a speedy recovery... :lol: . As an Athenian (OK...Athens area) ...wish we could have met sometime...From a BirdMan to another...WAR D4mn EAGLE!!! Is it Miss ST or 'Ole Miss....Choose wisely and do not ever leave!!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks; I wish I'd managed to form closer ties with the 2A community in Athens. They all seem like great guys. I just never seemed to find the right time to do it.

Starkville actually "kind of" reminds me of a conservative version of Athens from 20 years ago with worse roads.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife's still stranded in Athens (with family), so I was wondering if anyone has any more recent experience with I-20W conditions.

Looking like we've got to write off the week. Ugh.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,006 Posts
Have her wait until after the morning rush and check. Right now it looks as though it's passable if caution is used but waiting until traffic and sun can do some melting from the over night refreeze may be a good choice.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I agree once traffic dies down she should be ok. 20 west Atlanta was not bad yesterday. Afternoon. But I would tell her to wait just a bit to make sure no other problems crept up after the extremely cold night we had last night.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My wife left this morning at 10AM out of Athens. She reported some ice here and there on I-20 through Atlanta and GA, but nothing too bad. She's still enroute in AL, but she says it's fine once you get that far along. Thanks for all your helpful advice, y'all!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was driving around earlier and things are in really good shape for the most part. Only troubled spots are low traffic shady areas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts