Houston County newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by gtmatt, Jun 2, 2007.

1. gtmatt

gtmatt Member

Hi y'all!

Just got my GFL today after applying last Friday. I thought I'd get the process moving after reading some of the horror stories on here so I'd be more or less sure to have it when I eventually am ready to carry. No worries on that, I guess... However, I'm new to firearms so I've got a lot to learn. A few of the guys at work are into shooting, so I'm hoping to get some pointers and help from them.

No handgun yet, but I've been thinking about a S&W M&P .40 full-size or compact. If anybody has any input to give on how to get my wife more comfortable with the thought of me carrying (I think she's okay with having a handgun in the house for protection) or where to go for training, purchase of ammo/weapon, and/or a range for practice, I'm all ears.

Matt

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:welcome:

There are quite a few threads on here about those things if you wanna search. I'm sure a few people will give their thoughts in this thread, though, if you wanna wait for that.

3. merlock

merlock New Member

:welcome: It's good to see that our county is still issuing quickly!

4. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I think the best way to get a wife comfortable is to take her to the range. More importantly find a girl to go with her. For some reason girls seem to do better when another girl goes with them. I have taken a few girls to the range for their guys. Most like it when given the opportunity.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Welcome to GPDO gtmatt!

7. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

welcome! i'm pretty new here myself but have absorbed much info in a short time and still reading. check around and see if a range near you rents handguns, many do and you can find out what feels right for you. it also depends on how you dress and how you spend your day what will work out for you to carry. if it's not comfortable you will find yourself not toting it around much.

8. tony218

tony218 New Member

9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

:welcome: The best way to get your wife comfortable with firearms? Do everything she asks! Yes, I am married. :D

10. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Welcome. Good to have another central Ga member!

11. gtmatt

gtmatt Member

Thanks for that, Tony. (It took me a while to find where that meeting was going to happen, though.) I was hopeful when I saw the "Fort Valley" region (Fort Valley is in the next county over from me), but Jasper County is a bit too far for me at this point. I think I might end up at the local PD firing range (they open to the public third Saturday in the month) with a guy from work.

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

Matt

12. tony218

tony218 New Member

sorry about that, i should have told you what page to look at.
    hopefully we are going to have one of these meetings about
    every three months at different locations.
    maybe you can come to one in the future.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You are never too far too click on the blue banner at the bottom of the page! :D

14. maddog

maddog New Member

Welcome gtmatt