house broken into

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by ClayD, Oct 29, 2010.

1. ClayD

ClayD New Member

So my ex girlfriend called me last night crying up a storm. Her house that she just moved into three weeks earlier was broken into. By the time I got there the officer was finishing up the report. I stayed the night with her and in the morning I left one of my firearms there for her. The perps stole her big screen tv, a 500 dollar hepa filter for her son, his wii, ps2 and some boxes out of the garage. Strange thing is, is that there were other high dollar things there like a ps3, nice suround sound system and her computer which they did not touch. This makes it very saspicous and left us thinking that maybe it was her sons father and or some of his friends. Only a few people know where she lives now, her sons father being one of them. The officer said that the neighborhood isn't a high crime neighborhood.

Today, after I left, the forensic department finally showed to get finger prints. Said they were able to get some good prints off the back door which was the point of entry. So hopefully they will be able to come up with something.

To make it worse, her landlord works through a realitor. Despite many phone calls and voice mails left for the landlord, he has yet to call back and get the door fixed that was broken into and to replace all the locks. The spare house key was also taken.

So now she is sitting there with a very volnurable position. She has our pitbull there and my 9mm that I let her hold onto, but if she leaves then she risks everything else she has in the house. I am going to head over there for another night, but I believe this is an emergency situation and the landlord should have been there right after the forensics to replace the door and all locks. I believe he is in breech of his own terms of the contract.

Not really sure what to do besides stay the night there again. AHHHH the humanity

2. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

Fix the door for her man. Go buy the locks and change them yourself. Then hand the landlord a receipt for the locks. Is it worth waiting for the landlord to change them? I didn't think so. At this point she may even look at installing a personal security alarm. Doesn't have to have service but if the contact is broken it sounds a REALLY HIGH pitched tone and honestly no one would kno the difference. But fix the doors for her please. Go to home depot, buy the kits and do it yourself. Then tell the landlord you will deduct the money from his rent to cover the locks and give him a copy of them.

Personal items are of no value when lives could be at stake. I'm glad everyone is ok.

3. streetriots

streetriots Clueless

I wouldn't wait to speak with the landlord to fix the doors and locks. I would replace them at my cost then talk to the landlord about reimbursement later. Which they may or may not want to do, but you need the security now. Not whenever she will be able to reach the landlord and then have to wait for the landlord to do it or get someone to do it..

4. ClayD

ClayD New Member

I can do them myself, but there are four different doors that give entry into the house. both of us are broke and the door that was broken into has to be replaced. I will talk to her and see if we can scrape some money up to get what we need.

5. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Glad to hear no one was hurt or in any personal danger. There isn't much I hate more than a thief. :cantsay: :evil:

6. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

Ahhh i guess i over looked the broken front door. Locks arent going to help much if they're kicked in obviously.

7. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

check craigslist, you may find a deal on a door.

8. ClayD

ClayD New Member

Good suggestion but by the time we research and fine one the landlord hopefully will have already taken action. Im about to head over there to stay another night and hope the landlord comes through tomorrow. I have to work tomorrow and cant afford to take the day off without loosing my job.

9. streetriots

streetriots Clueless

Is this in an area that has a Deputy patrolling? Or in a subdivision? It may be different for private residence's. But my workplaces gate fails sometimes and it has to be left open. When it is left open overnight they call the Sheriff's Dept and ask them to have their Deputies on patrol to keep an eye out for anything suspiscious. I'm not sure if you can do that but its worth a shot to ask. All they can say is no.

10. streetriots

streetriots Clueless

If you must wait for the landlord to repair the door I would also try to talk him into getting the entry door jambs reinforced. He may or may not want to spend the extra money, but it may payoff in the long run.

11. ClayD

ClayD New Member

Hopefully after his house has been broken into he will want to. The house is on a main road, not a sub division. But hopefully we can talk him into some more security. The house isnt very well lit so maybe some outside flood lights will be in order, at the least.

12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

send the woman away.
    Don't fix any locks.
    sit in the house alone, in the dark, shotgun across your lap.
    hunting takes time and patience.
    If you get one, though, you're going to have to offer the taxidermist an extra big tip to mount it.

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

:lol: Perfect!

Can she download a program that will use a Web-Cam to video what goes on?

Does she know how to shoot your 9mm? If she's never shot a gun, but is willing to learn, borrow a shotgun for her. She'll stand a better chance behind a "scatter-shot". She really doesn't have to hit anyone. The noise will make perps jump through the walls! :lol: I've never heard of a perp sticking around for a gun fight.

Loud alarms are great, even if they don't alert LEOs. If cost is an object, a bunch of cans tied across the doorway will make them think twice. They get her moving, and not many bad guys will stick around.

Thanks for staying there for her, until she has better security. Is a reconciliation in the offing? :sly:

14. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

They may have left some stuff because they couldn't carry any more, and they're planning on coming back for the rest.

Now there's a gun in the house too.

Please be careful, and keep that in mind. Don't give a criminal a free gun.

15. ClayD

ClayD New Member

Great suggestions everyone, made me laugh.

Yes I have thought about them returning. I showed her a good hiding spot. I don't want them getting a free gun. She doesn't have a GA drivers license, so if she carries it in her car, what must she do to abide by GA law?

Unfortunantly I sold my shotgun a while back. I have taken her to the range a few times so she is familiar with the functions this paticular firearm. She even named it, Shelly. WTF? Lol, so demeaning to my first piece. Oh well, as long as it serves her well. But agreed, I don't want it to fall in the wrong hands.

16. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Without a drivers license she can't drive a car legally. :cantsay: J/K

She can have it in her car(if the car is registered to her) so long as she is 21 and has no disqualifers. I think that's right. I'll go look around.

Edit: It might be possible if she is less than 21(I'm not sure though, there may be restrictions). I do know that the car must be hers.

Edit 2:

17. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

Why don't her and the kid shack up at your place instead of you staying there until the door and locks are repaired?

As far as money goes for making the repairs, since she can not get in touch with the landlord she should be able to have the repairs made, present the landlord with the reciept and have it deducted from her rent for the month.

18. ClayD

ClayD New Member

I suggested she come to my place but I can't have the dog where I am at now. The dog means a lot to me and I didnt want to leave her there alone. Plus it leaves everything else in the house open for grabs. I know that human life is more valuable than personal belongings are, but we made the decision to hold out there.

Good news though, all the locks have been re-keyed and they are suppose to come back this morning to replace the busted door. Thanks for all the comments everyone. Next step is to talk her landlord into some better security.

19. vanguard

vanguard New Member

I would call the landlord and leave a message saying, hey i cant pay the rent here anymore because it is not safe to stay here :twisted:

20. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Fix the door and locks yourself. Deduct the cost spent on materials from the rent and pay the landlord the rent minus repairs (IANAL, but I believe this is completely legal). Give the landlord the receipts for your costs.