Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot Shots Jewelry & Pawn of Marietta, Georgia; Miller Rod & Gun of Youngstown, Ohio; and Dick's Pawn of North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina have all agreed to settlements providing for a Special Master selected by the City and appointed by the Court to monitor their firearms sales activities. They have each also agreed to submit to close monitoring of their records and inventory, which may include videotaping of their sales activities and continued undercover surveillance.
http://media-newswire.com/release_1046112.html

I don't think I will be shopping for a firearm at Hot Shots any time soon. Not only will NY have a copy of your purchase, but they may even get you on video to go with it.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I will never step foot in that store.

·
68,657 Posts
Please keep in mind people, that it is very easy to be angry at them until you are the one funding $250 an hour or more for an attorney to fight other people's taxpayer-funded attorneys who have no real budget.

Think about that. Even at $250 per hour, billed in tenths of an hour, a phone call to your lawyer that runs 7 minutes will cost $50.

An all day deposition will be $2000, plus the costs of the transcripts and court reporter fees.

This case will probably require the use of experts as expensive as the attorneys.

I have barely scratched the surface.

How much of a profit margin do you think is in a local gun shop? The lawsuit could run them out of business even if they win!

·
68,657 Posts
In exchange for getting out of the lawsuit, they agreed to training for employees and monitoring of their sales to ensure compliance with the law. After three years of compliance, the agreement expires. That is it.

Why do you object?

Would you rather they go out of business due to the cost of the litigation? Are you sure they would win? Have you studied this carefully? Don't you think they were in a better position to analyze this than you?

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Rammstein said:
Some people stand on principle.
True, but it's hard to feed your kids on...

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
USMC - Retired said:
Rammstein said:
True, but it's hard to feed your kids on...
Sure is. But that is why it is a hard choice to do the right thing sometimes.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I don't fault the store. they are doing what they have to to stay open...

I don't think gunshops have a huge profit margin and as MP pointed out attorney's are very expensive...

·
68,657 Posts
Rammstein said:
Some people fall on principle, too!

I agree with fighting for principle, but what is the principle in this case? "We hate Bloomberg" does not exactly strike me as a great principle.

Look at their agreement. Essentially, they agreed to follow the law for three years. They agreed to more training for their employess (this is probably a good thing). I do not fault them for agreeing to this. They can still sell you automatic rifles, as many as you want, provided you are not buying them to resell to gang members.

The situation for them has not changed, and I do not think a boycott is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
I agree with fighting for principle, but what is the principle in this case? "We hate Bloomberg" does not exactly strike me as a great principle.
Are they not providing information about buyers to Bloomberg as well as video, or did I make that up?

·
68,657 Posts
Rammstein said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Are they not providing information about buyers to Bloomberg as well as video, or did I make that up?
Most stores have surveillance video. As for disclosing private information on customers, I did not see that in the story, but it will color my view if you can support that statement.
:sly:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Rammstein said:
[quote="Malum Prohibitum":2mf72gp4] I agree with fighting for principle, but what is the principle in this case? "We hate Bloomberg" does not exactly strike me as a great principle.
Most stores have surveillance video. As for disclosing private information on customers, I did not see that in the story, but it will color my view if you can support that statement.
:sly:[/quote:2mf72gp4]

Certainly.

have all agreed to settlements providing for a Special Master selected by the City and appointed by the Court to monitor their firearms sales activities. They have each also agreed to submit to close monitoring of their records and inventory, which may include videotaping of their sales activities and continued undercover surveillance. The Special Master will ensure that each dealer is in full compliance with all laws regulating the sales and purchase of firearms.
As part of the agreement, a Special Master will be appointed and paid for by the City. The Special Master will have broad powers to monitor the gun dealers, including unlimited review of firearms-related records, which include trace requests and multiple handgun sale reports, as well as the ability to conduct unrestricted inspections of all firearm inventories.

·
68,657 Posts
Why don't you call Hot Hots, speak with a manager, and ask, "If I buy a handgun there, are you going to turn over my private information to New York City?" and report back to us.

Everybody call 'em! :D

I would like to know this. Maybe I'll call them . . .

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
. . . which include trace requests and multiple handgun sale reports . . .
What, this?
More like:

As part of the agreement, a Special Master will be appointed and paid for by the City. The Special Master will have broad powers to monitor the gun dealers, including unlimited review of firearms-related records, which include trace requests and multiple handgun sale reports, as well as the ability to conduct unrestricted inspections of all firearm inventories.

·
68,657 Posts
Bloomberg is going to be a special master?

Rammstein, this is someone appointed by the court to carry out certain tasks. I really think your concern may be misplaced, but we shall see.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
Bloomberg is going to be a special master?

Rammstein, this is someone appointed by the court to carry out certain tasks. I really think your concern may be misplaced, but we shall see.
No, Bloomberg is going to Appoint the special master. Sorry, I think Ramm is right on.

Handpicked by Mayor Bloomberg; Federal Court Appoints Lawyer With Ties to Gun Control Group to Monitor Gun Dealers

11/16/2006

To: National Desk

Contact: Lawrence G. Keane of National Shooting Sports Foundation, 203-426-1320 or 203-526-6773

NEWTOWN, CT, Nov. 16th/U.S. Newswire/ â€" The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), the firearms industry’s trade association, said today it was outraged but not surprised to learn that Brooklyn, NY-based federal court judge Jack B. Weinstein had appointed a lawyer handpicked by New York City Mayor Bloomberg to monitor several small out-of-state “mom and pop†gun stores that had been sued by Bloomberg earlier this year.

The lawyer, Andrew Weissman, is a partner with the Chicago-based law firm of Jenner and Block. The firm represents the Violence Policy Center (VPC), a Washington, D.C.-based gun control group known for its extremist positions, which include advocating a ban on civilian ownership of handguns. Jenner & Block filed a brief for VPC supporting the City of Chicago’s attempt to obtain highly sensitive law enforcement data on guns traced by law enforcement during criminal investigations. Jenner and Block’s brief for VPC argued the data should be released to the public despite opposition from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) that it would endanger ongoing criminal investigations and a federal law that specifically bars public disclosure. A federal appeals court rejected Jenner and Block’s arguments. Chicago had sought the data for use in its lawsuit against gun makers, which was ultimately dismissed by a state appeals court.

“Judge Weinstein’s Halloween Day order appointing a lawyer handpicked by Mayor Bloomberg for whose firm has strong ties to a radical anti-gun group gives new meaning to the phrase, ‘Trick-or-Treat,’†said Lawrence G. Keane, chief spokesperson for the firearms industry. “We fear it will be a nightmare for these small businesses.â€

In a series of earlier rulings in a related case, Judge Weinstein ruled the City of New York could have and use privileged gun trace data in its civil suit against gun makers. The case, originally filed in June 2000 by then-mayor Rudy Giuliani and continued by Bloomberg, is now before a federal appeals court in New York.

Gun makers have long been concerned with Judge Weinstein’s bias and have even asked Judge Weinstein to recuse himself in the city’s suit against the manufacturers. Weinstein refused to step aside.

Bloomberg’s suit against 15 out-of-state “mom-and-pop†gun dealers claims they participated in “simulated straw-purchases.†Bloomberg, despite promises made at a press conference announcing the suit, has failed to make available evidence of the alleged illegal conduct to the ATF, whom he had described as “asleep at the switch.†The actions of Bloomberg’s private investigators, done without the knowledge of either ATF or the New York City police department, interfered with as many as 18 ongoing criminal investigations and are now being investigated by ATF.

As part of the dealer settlement agreements, Weissman as “special master†will oversee and monitor three of the five settling dealers’ business practices - and though the remaining two settling dealers will have their special master appointed by a Georgia Court, Bloomberg will request that Weissman be appointed to oversee them as well.

In settling the dealers did not admit to any wrongdoing. The monitor’s oversight will be largely redundant to that of the ATF but includes new powers, including videotaping firearm purchasers without their permission. The monitor will also be able to fine the dealers for violations of the settlement agreement. “Ironically, Bloomberg strongly opposes pending legislation (H.R. 5092) that would grant similar powers to ATF,†Keane said.

“I doubt these small business owners had any knowledge of Weissman and his firm’s ties to the radically anti-gun Violence Policy Center. They clearly have a basis to go back to court and emand that a truly neutral party be appointed as a special master,†said Keane.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts