Hot Shots in Marietta settles with Boomberg

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Gunstar1, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

http://media-newswire.com/release_1046112.html

I don't think I will be shopping for a firearm at Hot Shots any time soon. Not only will NY have a copy of your purchase, but they may even get you on video to go with it.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I will never step foot in that store.

3. blare

blare New Member

:shock: I didn't know these guys were apart of this Bloomberg fiasco!!!

4. Taler

Taler New Member

Close?

Maybe this would be covered in an agreement, but why not close, then reopen under a new name like "new Hot Shots"?

5. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Unfortunately, that's the end of my money going to that store.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Please keep in mind people, that it is very easy to be angry at them until you are the one funding $250 an hour or more for an attorney to fight other people's taxpayer-funded attorneys who have no real budget.

Think about that. Even at $250 per hour, billed in tenths of an hour, a phone call to your lawyer that runs 7 minutes will cost $50.

An all day deposition will be $2000, plus the costs of the transcripts and court reporter fees.

This case will probably require the use of experts as expensive as the attorneys.

I have barely scratched the surface.

How much of a profit margin do you think is in a local gun shop? The lawsuit could run them out of business even if they win!

7. Malum Prohibitum

In exchange for getting out of the lawsuit, they agreed to training for employees and monitoring of their sales to ensure compliance with the law. After three years of compliance, the agreement expires. That is it.

Why do you object?

Would you rather they go out of business due to the cost of the litigation? Are you sure they would win? Have you studied this carefully? Don't you think they were in a better position to analyze this than you?

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Some people stand on principle.

9. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

True, but it's hard to feed your kids on...

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Sure is. But that is why it is a hard choice to do the right thing sometimes.

11. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I don't fault the store. they are doing what they have to to stay open...

I don't think gunshops have a huge profit margin and as MP pointed out attorney's are very expensive...

12. Malum Prohibitum

Some people fall on principle, too!

I agree with fighting for principle, but what is the principle in this case? "We hate Bloomberg" does not exactly strike me as a great principle.

Look at their agreement. Essentially, they agreed to follow the law for three years. They agreed to more training for their employess (this is probably a good thing). I do not fault them for agreeing to this. They can still sell you automatic rifles, as many as you want, provided you are not buying them to resell to gang members.

The situation for them has not changed, and I do not think a boycott is a good idea.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Are they not providing information about buyers to Bloomberg as well as video, or did I make that up?

14. Malum Prohibitum

Most stores have surveillance video. As for disclosing private information on customers, I did not see that in the story, but it will color my view if you can support that statement.
    :sly:

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Most stores have surveillance video. As for disclosing private information on customers, I did not see that in the story, but it will color my view if you can support that statement.
    :sly:[/quote:2mf72gp4]

Certainly.

16. Malum Prohibitum

What, this?

17. Malum Prohibitum

Why don't you call Hot Hots, speak with a manager, and ask, "If I buy a handgun there, are you going to turn over my private information to New York City?" and report back to us.

Everybody call 'em! :D

I would like to know this. Maybe I'll call them . . .

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

More like:

19. Malum Prohibitum

Bloomberg is going to be a special master?

Rammstein, this is someone appointed by the court to carry out certain tasks. I really think your concern may be misplaced, but we shall see.

20. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

No, Bloomberg is going to Appoint the special master. Sorry, I think Ramm is right on.