Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually only use Gold dots but have ran across some Critical defense for cheaper. My question is are they better or up to par with the Gold dots. They are 185 grain with the polymer tip. I know it helps with the feeding of the round but thats about all i know.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing some research i have found they had a run of bad primers and typically dont feed well in a 1911 platform. I may pick up a box anyway just to test b/c $22 bucks aint bad for a box.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use Hornady Critical Defense in my carry guns. I have been very happy with them. I find them to be very accurate. I have never had a jam, stovepipe, or failure to fire. They claim that the polymer tip with keep the hollow point from clogging up with fibre and allow it to expand properly in tissue. I fortunately have not had to test this claim. They do make a nice wound in a pumpkin though. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am just worried about the feeding issue. My RIA is fairly new and i know it will feed Gold dots. I have also heard that it helps with the reliable part of feeding. I am wanting to replinish my Defense rounds but i cant find Gold dots so i was looking at this as an alternative until i do

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have never had a problem with feeding critical defense in several 9mm pistols. Sounds like you are looking at the. 45 acp's. I can not offer personal experience on that caliber, but I just spoke with a customer who said he had feeding problems using critical defense in a mil spec 1911. If any other 1911 guys come by the shop today I will ask about their experience with them. I don't know how far you are from Carrollton, but the Barnes Store had a whole bunch of Gold Dots on the shelves yesterday.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a RIA Tactical. it has the feed ramp polished and is modified from factory to feed HP. i went ahead and got a box of the Critical Defense. Hand cycling they feel very good no slop or jump to indicate they are being forced. I will try and run some throught this evening to test function. The shop i got them from says he uses them and knows of several customers who run them also.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
i jut carry 200gr non plated wadcutters in my 1911. i have took down wild game my own size with it. animals dont have the "lay down and die" mentality like people do. if an animal my size only goes 10 yards and drops after one shot, im sure a human would probably roll over just about on the spot.

imo - all of these over priced, over hyped specialty self defense loads are just way over rated.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont agree with the ammo however i do agree when it comes to Firearms. everyone has to have the newest and best this or that. I will alwyas try a new ammo to see if it works. This is my first new ammo that i have got. I almost always use Gold dots in everything i have. The olny reason i have this CD ammo is because i could not find the Gold Dots.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I use critical defense in my .357 magnum, though I cant really comment on feed issues since its a revolver :D

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I carry it in my Kahr P9. Not because it's superb, but because darn near everything I have ever shot by Hornady, from any gun, had grouped better than anything else I have tried. I had some in my SA GI model 1911 a while back. It fed it with no issues.

If the gaping cavity of a Gold Dot won't clog your RIA, an FTX isn't going to be an issue.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They fed perfect no issues and seemed to feed smoother than the Gold dots. while i am not yet convinced of their capabilities like Gold dots i will carry them .

G

·
I just bought some 9mm Critical defense today at Franklin's in Athens. I keep hearing people recommend them, but hadn't been able to find them. I normally run 124gr +P Gold Dots in my Ruger SR9C. I like them, and have had zero issues, but they feel like they slam into the feed ramp. I load and unload a lot, when I have to leave my gun in the car and worry about setback on the Gold Dots. So I bought some Corbon Pow'rBall ammo and keep one in the chamber with a mag full of Speer. The round nose feeds smoother than the Gold Dots. I'm not crazy about going down to the 100gr Corbon from the 124gr +P Speers, though. I'm looking forward to trying out the Critical Defense!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
i just picked up a couple boxes of .380, many of the hp rounds i have tried didn't feed well for me (hydroshoks, silver tips, golden sabers, etc.) and i have been carrying remington green box jhp for several years, although the few gold dots i have run thru fed fine. the shape of the bullet looks like it should feed and penetrate well, i will try a few mags soon and see how it works for me and my picky p232.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really like it Zookeeper. it feeds perfect in my RIa and has in anything i have had

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
every gun is different. i like cd's in my 9mm. had a ria gi before that loved them and powerballs.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
I bought some of it and even carry some of it in my magazines. I like Hornady ammo.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have always had good experiences with Hornady ammo and Federal. Those are about the only ones i use other than Gold dots

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
been my experience that any pistol that will feed gold dots will handle most hp's. gd's have a very wide mouth and usually won't feed in guns not partial to hp's. just my .02. but, generally i only used fmj in 45. only use hp's in 9 or 40 cause they tend to overpenetrate.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I carry Federal HST. I get a box of 50 at GT distributors for 21 bucks (.45 cal)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts