Hope for Massachusetts?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Maybe Massachusetts will go shall issue?

Link to Story

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I wonder if there would be a difference between an elected person or an appointed one? Would one or the other be more prone to actually following the law?

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

A major difference is that it will be centralized, rather than local officials handing out favors as they see fit.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I know, I was thinking more about who the person they give control too. Would a state elected official be more prone to handing out favors or someone appointed?

My guess would be appointed would be best... but I don't know for sure. Perhaps they are equal in their possibilities for favor handouts.

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

New Jersy

If they just move processing to the state level without going shall issue it won't help. Then you wind up with a system like NJ and MD where nobody without clout can get a permit.

State level shall issue gets you a system like FL & UT :D

6. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Sounds like it will be harder to get a permit in my small opinion. Now you have to track down a certain official. Not your local PD. Shall issue sounds like the only way it would work.

7. moga

moga New Member

Re: New Jersy

Naah, not really. MA is not even in the same category as NJ and MD.

When you consider that most places in MA are basically shall-issue, including the State Police who are responsible for issuing non-res licenses and, under Healey's proposal, would likely assume that role for all licensing applicants, taking the power away from the few power-hungry local police chiefs will be a huge improvement. The chiefs in and around Boston are the main areas that abuse their power by routinely issuing "target" licenses only if not disqualifying an applicant outright for questionable characteristics when they can't be denied on statutory disqualifications. There are only about eight to ten municipalities in the state that practice this policy. These guys range from severely to rabidly anti-gun. Most other places issue a full license even if the applicant erroneously asks for a lesser license thinking it will improve their chances for approval.

I think it is a shame that a non-resident of Massachusetts is ALWAYS ssued a non-restricted license when a citizen is put through the meat grinder and receives a crippled license for their troubles.

Where our state's laws get crazy is when deciding which firearms can be purchased. For instance, we cannot legally purchase Springfield XDs or Smith M&Ps. Now that's maddening! That's why we need a pro 2A Atty General in addition to Governor to repel the arcane purchase laws we have here.

8. Woody_the_Infidel

Woody_the_Infidel New Member

Re: New Jersy

Why is that? What can you purchase?

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

the why I believe that there AG has a list of "safe" firearms that can be purchased, which he is empowered to do through some consumer protection law... or maybe that is NJ?

As to what is actually on the list I dont know.