Honest Honey, It Followed me home

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Brian618, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

I went to the Gwinnett Gun Show yesterday to help at at the booth signing up new GCO members with Budder for a couple hours yesterday morning. Well since I was there, I thought I'd take a look around and see if anything caught my eye.

Well I have been wanting a 1911 some time and I found a deal I couldn't pass up. A NIB Springfield 1911-A1 GI in Stainless. I managed to get it out the door for $390. When I got home to take the wife out, she was not amused, as I told her I was only going to the show to sign up new members, but after I showed it to her she warmed up to it a little bit. It reminded her of the gun her Grandad had, so she wasn't too upset. I also took her to the 17th Street Art Fair and bought her a nice framed print for over the fire place that cost almost as much. :wink:

Took it out to to the range this morning and pumped 200 rounds of Blazer Brass through it without so much as a hiccup. I couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that I have a 1911 I have an overwhelming desire to strip it to the frame and further customize it. Like putting a different Beavertail, a Spur Hammer, A new Mainspring housing without the Integrated Locking System, and much, much more. Is that normal :?: :D

2. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Thats a nice looking 1911..I've always like the stainless models.

Yes, its normal. The problem is, once you get it customized, you will want to do another, want a "stock" one, or both. :wink:

3. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

You got it for less than $400, very nice.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

5. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

That looks a lot better out of the plastic bag ;)

By the way, our UA friend was using a black hipgrip and had a zip tie through the barrel, though you couldn't see it until he brought it out and started waving it around :roll:

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

What's the rest of that story?

7. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

:exactly:

8. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Enquiring minds want to know.

9. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

I still think he's an idiot. I could not for the life of me see the hip grip, I was certain he was carrying it "Mexican"

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Not too much of a story. The vendor across from us was selling brass statues of animals. The vendor next to him was wearing an underarmor shirt (classy! and hence the UA guy nickname) and belt in the style of the Wilderness Instructor's belt. It was black and he had a cocked (and hopefully locked) 1911 stuffed in the side of his pants. Since it was IWB via a black hipgrip on a black belt, it was extremely hard to tell if he was a moron for breaking the rules and bringing a personal weapon as a dealer, or if he was doubly a moron for the above and for breaking the rule about carrying a loaded personal weapon.

Later on (after Brian's shift ended), when he and the bronzeman were arguing about 1911 v Glock v Hk v Sig, he pulled out his 1911 and began exhibiting exemplary muzzle control*. At least I got to see the hipgrip then.

BTW, Adam, the bronze guy had a AK bullpup with a red dot for sale. I didn't bother getting the specifics, since he wanted $950 for it :shock:

*This is sarcasm.

11. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Once things slow down for me I've got to start volunteering at these gun shows.