Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Laid out, after a night of marinating in the secret sauce:



See you little guys in a few hours:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,798 Posts
I love jerky. My favorite commercial brand is Jack's Links.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coming along nicely after almost 7 hours. The thin bits are getting very close, but the thick pieces still have a while to go.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,609 Posts
Sooo, are we going to see you as a vendor at all the gunshows? Jerky and gunshows are symbiotic, ya'know....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,215 Posts
mzmtg,
Not picking at your process but I've made hundreds of pounds of jerky through the years and would like to offer a bit of advice. I noticed in the first picture that your meat still has some fat attached. While this wont hurt anything if you eat it fast, it will definately reduce the amount of time you can store it. If you remove all the fat, or better yet use venison so there is virtually no fat, you can store the jerky much longer than with fat in or on the meat.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,974 Posts
Rammstein said:
I love jerky. My favorite commercial brand is Jack's Links.
There is some brand at Bass Pro Shops nar the checkout that is excellent, but every homemade batch I have made is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
USMC - Retired said:
mzmtg,
Not picking at your process but I've made hundreds of pounds of jerky through the years and would like to offer a bit of advice. I noticed in the first picture that your meat still has some fat attached. While this wont hurt anything if you eat it fast, it will definately reduce the amount of time you can store it. If you remove all the fat, or better yet use venison so there is virtually no fat, you can store the jerky much longer than with fat in or on the meat.
I try to trim most of the fat off. Longevity in storage isn't really an issue for us though. We usually end up eating it all right out of the dehydrator as soon as it's ready...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,215 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
Adam5 said:
Are you bringing samples to the GCO meeting Friday?
you did not answer his question.
Yes he did....

mzmtg said:
We usually end up eating it all right out of the dehydrator as soon as it's ready...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
USMC - Retired said:
Yes he did....

mzmtg said:
We usually end up eating it all right out of the dehydrator as soon as it's ready...
:D

I tried to bring some samples to my coworkers last Friday, but I got stuck in the traffic at the bus crash so I was forced to eat all the jerky...

..you know, 3 hours in a car with A/C and Sirius Satellite Radio is a survival situation...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
USMC - Retired said:
Gunstar1 said:
Adam5 said:
Are you bringing samples to the GCO meeting Friday?
you did not answer his question.
Yes he did....

mzmtg said:
We usually end up eating it all right out of the dehydrator as soon as it's ready...
No, the answer is, yes I am bringing a bunch to the meeting.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,974 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
No, the answer is, yes I am bringing a bunch to the meeting.
I think he means if you want to continue having posting privileges on his board. :twisted:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,974 Posts
Adam5 said:
Jerky and Gatorade for $7? That sounds like North Fulton to me. :)
LAst minute change from Gatorade to Tang. Gatorade is too expensive.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top